Best settings for 4K HDR playback?

• If the interfaces your box don't support more than 100 Mbit, the only option is what mmpp suggested. Or a USB Wireless AC adapter.
    I'm fortunate to have Wireless AC in my box, however the box can handle only up to 120 Mbit bitrate streams, so even only 100 Mbit should be adequate.

It´s a S905X box(only 100Mbit)
    Maybe I will test with 300MBit USB Wireless stick from my HiFiberry Raspberry, got only little hope

USB Gigabit adaper ist available at amazon store, will try ASIX AX88178 and Realtek RTL8153

• I tried testing the links directly from browser in my nexbox a95 but it hangs up a lot
    It's working fine from my USB though

Don't know how to mount NFS as you don't d sorry I'm not techie enough can you please explain how to mount NFS and stream 4K from all addons ?

Appreciate your help

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• next test using USB3-Network adapter based on Realtek RTL8153
    Adapter works oob with LE 7.95b
    Iperf reports 180-330 Mbit

jellyfish-140-mbps-4k-uhd-hevc-10bit.mkv runnig smooth :exclamation:

BTW:
    Adapter is not working with Stock Android

I'm surprised that your box based on s905x (like mine) is able to handle the 140 Mbit file. I have tried directly from a USB stick and it was lagging.
    Somewhere I have read that these boxes are all created equal, so that's not true ;)

• I'm surprised that your box based on s905x (like mine) is able to handle the 140 Mbit file. I have tried directly from a USB stick and it was lagging.
    Somewhere I have read that these boxes are all created equal, so that's not true ;)

I never tried from a USB stick, my sticks are to old, to small and to slow.

Don't know all this boxes are equal :huh:

Did You try USB-HDD ?
    Works for me either

• USB sticks are way too slow for 140 mbps which strains some USB HDDs as well... The s905x is not the bottleneck here

Sent from my GM 5 Plus d using Tapatalk

Edited once, last by mytbyte (February 12, 2017 at 8:02 AM).

• USB sticks are way too slow for 140 mbps which strains some USB HDDs as well... The s905x is not the bottleneck here

I have two 4-bay NAS
    QNAP TS 412 and Netgear Readynas 104
    Connected to GBit LAN, two network cables in mode adaptive load balancing, NFS shared

testing 140 mpbs:
    Netgear NAS works well and smooth
    QNAP NAS ist at the limit

SMB share from PC(Windows) is very jerky

I agree - s905x is not the bottleneck

• 140 Mbps is less than 20 MB/sec (17.5 to be precise).
    My wireless connection is at around 180 Mbit (tested with iperf / tcp).
    I'm now using NFS over udp, which goes straight to a single disk (a brand new WD Red 3 TB).
    Anyway, I was using a USB2 stick which performed around 18 MB/sec, so maybe at limit, so I have tested with a USB3 stick (over 40 MB/sec read on a USB3 port with my laptop) and I have to admit that USB is the right choice for UHD and s905x is not the issue here (and yes, I believe somehow the boards are all the same :) )
    I played without issues the 200 and 250 Mbit file.

• ssarava9  jd17: If you can try to mount NFS as I did and report to me your results, it would be interesting to understand what's your max video bitrate that your box can sustain.

I finally tried this and the result is truly remarkable! :)

My box's LAN is apparently not bad -> it runs the Sony Camp smoothly with a regular NFS share.
    However the bird90 video stutters horribly via regular NFS share.

That same bird90 video runs absolutely smooth when played from the mount location! :exclamation:

So I stick with my initial opinion:

You should pitch this to the Kodi devs, wouldn't all platforms benefit from this? :)
    Eventually the devs could change the way we add network sources right now to always be mounted your way.

I did not try the 120mbit video since the LAN is only 100mbit...

• kszaq is aware of this, so I believe we need just to wait and see if they can fix this. Until then, happy to use NFS from OS.
    I'm not really concerned about the maximum bitrate I can play, as I don't have UHD movies to see just now, but it's possible that Kodi is using more resources to get its internal NFS/SAMBA working.

Edited once, last by r4w (February 14, 2017 at 2:40 PM).

• I had a T95X (S905X) Android Box and flashed LE 7.95 on it and all files (4k/HDR) worked over LAN.
    I tried some 65Mbit videos, the box buffered 3seconds and then the Video started. Even HDR worked without a Problem.

I calculated, that the max. Bandwidth with my Box was 68Mbit... but even higher Bitrate should work, just press on pause and let then buffer some seconds ;)

No Problems... i config no special settings... out of the box it runs flawless. But now im using a USB Hub & USB Drives.

I purchased two Leelbox MXQ Pro, i will try it they later, if i get the same Network speed. Just have to put the USB drives into the NAS...

My NAS (ZyXel NSA325v2) is 15m away from the Android Box and in the middle is the Router (Netgear R7000)

Edited once, last by dimitrij2k (February 14, 2017 at 7:07 PM).

• This is off topic, but I believed for one hour or so that I got USB3 on my box or maybe, as the say in this link Does Amlogic S905X Support USB 3.0?, maybe ports are just not wired properly. I was about to go and buy a gigabit adapter for my new box, shame!
    So maximum we can get is "only" 480 Mbit.

Edited once, last by r4w (February 15, 2017 at 11:38 PM).