ZIP File Save

• Hi all, this is my first post and I'm a total noob so please bare with me..

I'm using libreelec on Raspberry pi 3. Want to use it mainly for live TV. Added a few channels by adding the addons via System/file manager/add source and typed in the address specified on addon's website.
    However,
    some addons that I'm very interested in haven't got the Address option. It says on the addon website that I would need to download the ZIP file first and save it in some location and then use INSTALL FROM ZIP option in order to get it all installed.
    I had no issues doing that on my laptop, but here on Raspberry PI things are getting more difficult.
    My question is:
    Where on the SD card should I save the ZIP file so I can access it from my Raspberrry pi from under libreelec? And how to access it?

Thanks,
    dede

• Added a few channels by adding the addons via System/file manager/add source and typed in the address specified on addon's website

However, some addons that I'm very interested in haven't got the Address option.

I'm getting the feeling that, because of your hesitation to mention the addon names, this is possibly about some not-so-legal addons that can run on Kodi clients. But of course I could be wrong about this.

• Hi Klojum, thanks for your message. I didn't think posting the name of the zip files would change anything? Was I wrong? I didn't even know there are some illegal ones...
    Here's the full ZIP file names:

plugin.video.LivePolishTV-2.1.3.zip
    plugin.video.goldvodtv.zip

Hope you can help me now as you have the full file names.

• OK, thanks for the info. I don't want to be involved in anything illegal too so I won't be installing this plugin. I will do some more research on the other one too just to make sure its content is "clean".

But still..even only considering 100% legal content I still don't know where to and how to save the zip files in order to access them from libreelec.
    Any guides here?

• Firstly there's no need to stick the zip on your raspberry - it just needs to be somewhere you can access, which can be as simple as your pc downloads folder (if it's shared, obviously).

I have an install folder on my main pc that I sling zips into. That folder is shared, so accessible from any kodi in my network.
    I added that folder as a source in the kodi file manager on each kodi (actually just by copying sources.xml across). Now when I choose 'install from zip' that install folder comes up in the options list, so it's easy to navigate to the zip.

• Why do I even bother...

If you're asking me then I honestly don't know.
    Someone asks how to install a zip file, which is a fairly basic, generic operation. No mention of banned addons.
    Option 1 - tell him.
    Option 2 - quiz him on what exactly he's installing, reprimand him, tell him support is now withdrawn. And if he says thanks for informing him and that he doesn't intend to install banned zips best just ignore him.
    Gotcha.

• Thanks a lot trogggy. I hope I didn't get you in any kind of trouble. Seriously guys I'm not into any kind of illegal stuff. As I said in my first post I just want public TV (polish public tele) which is absolutely FREE and just simply not accessible overseas. Simple as that. I'm not a fan of sport so all these pirat EuroSport Canal+ channels are not my cup of tea.

trogggy - any chance you could drop me a link to some articles/tutorials showing how to share a folder between PC and Rasp Pi running Libreelec? I know how to share a folder between 2 windows machines but that's about it. If digging for a link is too much just tell me what to look in google for specifically?

• There are a ton of threads on the kodi forum about this - probably because windows isn't the greatest os for sharing from. I'd suggest searching google for something like 'sharing folders in windows without homegroups' or looking on the kodi forum for threads with keywords like 'share windows'.
    Hang on... hooray... there's a wiki page: SMB/Windows - Official Kodi Wiki
    My setup is very simple - I share a few folders from windows, no homegroups, no passwords, accessible from anywhere on the LAN. In kodi I navigate to those either via IP or by browsing (windows network(smb) > workgroup > device name > share name) and set them as a source.
    As for trouble, I'm responsible for what I write here - nothing to do with you.

• I am noobs to libreelec coming from windows 7. Is there a step by step instructions on how to do this perhaps a youtube channels. Thank you for all the help.

Firstly there's no need to stick the zip on your raspberry - it just needs to be somewhere you can access, which can be as simple as your pc downloads folder (if it's shared, obviously).

I have an install folder on my main pc that I sling zips into. That folder is shared, so accessible from any kodi in my network.
    I added that folder as a source in the kodi file manager on each kodi (actually just by copying sources.xml across). Now when I choose 'install from zip' that install folder comes up in the options list, so it's easy to navigate to the zip.

• Official Post

Chriswwalker Obviously you are free to use whatever distribution you like, but I think OE will give the same response.

Due to the negative response Kodi has been getting in the press lately about piracy/stealing/etc I don't think the responses were unreasonable. If Kodi, LE, OE. OSMC are to remain free, they have to show that they are not involved in anything illegal. A lawsuit against Kodi etc could damage the opensource and then where would we be.

Yes you can argue that some addon is not doing anything illegal, but if it's not in the Kodi official addon repository, then you might want to ask why.

Keep it legal, keep it free.

That is MY opinion not LE.