Complete freeze of Raspberry Pi

• Hi,

I have a problem. Since the last alpha and beta version of LibreElec I am having an issue.

Sometimes out of the blue the pi completely freezes and does not respond to anything anymore. This happens when the system is idle and Kodi is not doing anything. I can't even access the pi through ssh. Strange thing is that I have 2 identical setups. Both a Pi 2 with the same installation, plugins, etc. etc. One pi freezes, the other doesn't.

Anyone have suggestions that I can look into?

Edited once, last by smiggel (January 23, 2017 at 12:18 PM).

• Without any sort of log it is VERY difficult to debug.

Are they overclocked in any way? Can the IP address be pinged when it has crashed? Are they using the same type of power supply?

It could be anything - faulty SD card, faulty Pi, faulty power.

Just because they are the same doesn't mean they act the same. I have 2 Rpi B+. One reboots if I plug in a USB device the other doesn't.

• Anyone have suggestions that I can look into?

As the new crystal ball hasn't been delivered to our office yet, how about uploading your unabbreviated kodi.log so we can have a look.
    FYI: HOW TO:Provide Logfile - LibreELEC

@Iridum:
    "<<<< Please rate me, if you found the information useful >>>> "

Aren't you trying just a little too hard? :)

• smiggel

Keep an ssh terminal open running "tail -f /storage/.kodi/temp/kodi.log & journalctl -f" to look for clues when it's freezing.

Thanks, Will give that a try.
    [hr]

Without any sort of log it is VERY difficult to debug.

Are they overclocked in any way? Can the IP address be pinged when it has crashed? Are they using the same type of power supply?

It could be anything - faulty SD card, faulty Pi, faulty power.

Just because they are the same doesn't mean they act the same. I have 2 Rpi B+. One reboots if I plug in a USB device the other doesn't.

Pi is not overclocked. Never has been. When the system is frozen I can not even ping it. Don't get any response then. Power supply of the pi's are both the same. Came from the same reseller.

Going to keep an eye on the logs for now to see if I can find something in there. Thanks.

Edited once, last by smiggel (January 23, 2017 at 9:11 PM).

• Hey Guys,

I have exactly the same problem, but with a Cubox i4 Pro. The freeze occurs like once a day, I already gathered the logs you requested in the previous post:

LibreELEC Kodi Log

The IP address is still pingable, my SSH session where the log was gathered was still somehow working, at least the return and some messages appeared. I tried CTRL + C to access the shell, but nothing happens anymore. Also a new SSH session runs into a timeout. All web GUIs are not responding either. If I try to use the connected keyboard nothing happens, the screen is frozen.

It seems like there are error messages regarding the SD card, this is a new one I purchased just last week. Anybody have a clue for me how to fix this?

Many thanks!

• Pi is not overclocked. Never has been. When the system is frozen I can not even ping it. Don't get any response then. Power supply of the pi's are both the same. Came from the same reseller.

Going to keep an eye on the logs for now to see if I can find something in there. Thanks.

I am in a very similar position. I suspect my SD card is a fake, even though it came from a reputable supplier; I have yet to gather enough evidence to go public on the name of the supplier. I built a new SD card [form a different source] last night and am trying it out at the moment. I will report back.

JT