Support for USB Gigabit LAN/802.11ac adapter?

• Then the problem is with the addons, not libreelec or kodi. They most likely utilize some peer-to-peer functionality to provide the videos, which will use up both your cpu and upstream bandwidth.

Please note that unofficial addons will not be discussed or supported in this forum.

Wetek Hub: LibreElec 8.2.3.1 (Philips 42PFL8404)
    MK808B+: LibreElec 7.0.2.7 (Samsung UE55H6270)
    OTT MXQ Pro 4k (S905): LibreElec 7.0.3.12k (Denon X1200W, 7.1, LG PF1500G)
    AKASO HM8 (S905X): CoreElec 9.0 dev build, Acer Revo 3610: Milhouse test

• Anyone has tested the RTL8188CU chip wifi dongle in LibreElec?

My friend has a Vontar Mini M8S II+ with AP6212A chipset and wifi connection is very bad.

No ethernet cable in the room, router on the other floor so he needs a stable wifi connection.

Any suggestions or list of supported USB Wifi dongles?

Thanks

Tanix TX7 @ LE 8.90.3, Mecool KI Pro @ LE 8.90.3, Beelink MiniMX III @ LE 8.90.3

• In past experiments on the original 100BaseT equipped AppleTV (which is why LE/OE have support for nearly all the chips involved; I tried them) moving to a USB gigabit adaptor lifted speeds from ~11MB/sec to a whopping ~14MB/sec. Why so little? .. because running networking over the USB stack requires a lot more computational overhead than using Ethernet, and this taxes the CPU and negates many of the theoretical gains (even at USB 2.0 speeds). I would be very surprised if anyone reports a significant user-experience improvement using one.

TL;DR .. cheap boxes with 100BaseT are cheap boxes with 100BaseT .. caveat emptor

Hi there

Looks like things have improved then ; Running iperf on Raspberry Pi 3 | NetBeez

Quite a few people have been using Gigabit->USB3 adaptors on Raspberry Pis to improve the network performance a bit (doesn't get round the shared USB 2.0 bus but that's a separate issue related to the Pi)

With the 10/100 internal adaptor they are getting iperf figures of ~95Mbs on a Pi 2 or 3, with a USB->GigE adaptor they are getting 170-220Mbs. (Pi 3 performs better than Pi 2) This is around double the performance of the internal 100Mbs (which itself is performing well for a 100Mbs solution)

Wouldn't it be fair to expect similar results on similar ARM chips?

AIUI the USB->GigE solution is likely to be a way round the S905X internal 100Mbs Ethernet limit for >100Mbs content, such as high bitrate UHD rips that a larger buffer doesn't solve (i.e. if the content is not just occasional >100Mbs spikes). AIUI one UHD title that is quite taxing is one of the few (only?) 2160/59.94p releases - Ang Lee's 'Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk' (which was shot at 119.88p, and release at 59.94p on UHD)

(For those wondering - USB 3.0->GigE adaptors do work in GigE mode when connected to USB 2.0 ports - assuming there is driver support. You can't saturate the GigE connection with a USB2.0 connection, but you can get significantly better throughput than a 100Mbs Ethernet connection.)

• I use USB2.0/Gb adapter based on ASIX AX88178 Chipset for a long time- working perfect.

The USB3.0 ASIX AX88179 Chipset and Realtek RTL8153 Chipset is working too.

Everyone asking why, have a look here Best settings for 4K HDR playback?

• I'll have to remember what sock drawer the USB widgets have been cast into at home, because I'm playing around with an S905D box which sadly has 100-BaseT networking :(

• after switching to an usb AX88179 gigabit adapter (recognized as usbnet0) smb and ssh access sometimes do not work until I disconnect & reconnect from the libreelec addon. pinging and network access (from within kodi) works fine.

edit: ssh/smb access problems was due to the libreelec firewall setting being auto-reenabled even when set to 'off' before a reboot. switching to 'public' seems to have fixed the issue.

Edited once, last by heldchen ().

• I'm using the Ugreen ethernet to usb adapter. Is it normal that I have to set the firewall inside Kodi to "OFF" to be able to connect to the box via PC or iOS remote?