Support for USB Gigabit LAN/802.11ac adapter?

• I'm using a Mini M8S(S905) to access files on my home server. I've recently started using 4k content and the 100Mbit ethernet port on the M8S doesn't seem to have enough bandwidth for some of the higher bitrate files, resulting in buffering every 10-15 seconds or stuttering.

The same files play back fine if put on a USB 2.0 hard drive so the best solution I've though of is a USB Gigabit ethernet adapter. I won't get the full gigabit but hopefully I can use the bandwidth available at the USB port.
    Does Libreelec have support for any USB Gigabit ethernet adapters or 802.11ac wifi adapters?

Any recommendations on an adapter would be appreciated.
    Thanks.

• Wondering the same. I have tried a couple of Belkin Gigabit adapters and they do work, but can't get them to connect at 1000M to save my life. Long cables, short cables, expensive, cheap I've tried every trick in the book.

• Wondering the same. I have tried a couple of Belkin Gigabit adapters and they do work, but can't get them to connect at 1000M to save my life. Long cables, short cables, expensive, cheap I've tried every trick in the book.

What kind of throughput are you getting on the Belkin adapters? Are they locking to 100mbit mode or are you getting closer to USB 2.0 speeds?

Edited once, last by coreire (January 4, 2017 at 12:04 AM).

• What kind of throughput are you getting on the Belkin adapters? Are they locking to 100mbit mode or are you getting closer to USB 2.0 speeds?

Locking at 100M. Literally tried everything I could find. Trying to force 1000M from either/both the box or the router kills the connection.

Edited once, last by Jaaxx (January 4, 2017 at 1:17 AM).

• How well would a USB 802.11ac wifi adapter work tho? The wifi on my MiniIII-II is awful (doubt it's LibreElec think it's the chip itself) i wonder if getting a USB adapter would be any better

• My Beelink Mini MXIII II has a Gigabyte RJ45 port but it's recognize like a 100Mb :

How I can enable the gigabyte network from this box ?

Btw, I can't enabled the wake on lan, is it normal ?

Code
    LibreELEC:~ # ethtool -s eth0 wol g
    Cannot set new wake-on-lan settings: Operation not supported
     not setting wol

• I'm using a Mini M8S(S905) to access files on my home server. I've recently started using 4k content and the 100Mbit ethernet port on the M8S doesn't seem to have enough bandwidth for some of the higher bitrate files, resulting in buffering every 10-15 seconds or stuttering.

The same files play back fine if put on a USB 2.0 hard drive so the best solution I've though of is a USB Gigabit ethernet adapter. I won't get the full gigabit but hopefully I can use the bandwidth available at the USB port.
    Does Libreelec have support for any USB Gigabit ethernet adapters or 802.11ac wifi adapters?

Thanks.

Hi Coreire... I have a Mini M8S S905 2GB / 8GB running the 7.0.2.009 build from internal NAND looking at a Windows Server 2012R2 NFS share via a gigabit switch (obviously the Mini M8S only has a 100Mbit link but just saying in case this has to do with backplane capacity?) ... I can playback 70GB 4K H265 files no problem on this as well as my AFTV2 which also only has 10/100 Ethernet (with Android Kodi v17 RC2)... how higher bitrate are you talking?

Interestingly my Samsung UHD TV, for whatever reason, can't play these files back smoothly via its internal player over the network... if I copy the same file to a usb stick the TV can playback no problem (The TV does HDR - really impressed with HDR BTW - and I have to use usb when I want to watch content with HDR). Weird I know - bottom line, perhaps the port bandwidth isn't your issue here?

Thanks.

I was having problems with buffering as well on some 4K content. As a work around try increasing the video buffer in Kodi. I used these settings:

How to stop buffering issues on Kodi: The BEST fixes for a stable stream | Alphr

This obviously won't work if the average bitrate is over 100Mbit, however it will help with any temporary high bitrate parts of the file.

• Hi Coreire... I have a Mini M8S S905 2GB / 8GB running the 7.0.2.009 build from internal NAND looking at a Windows Server 2012R2 NFS share via a gigabit switch (obviously the Mini M8S only has a 100Mbit link but just saying in case this has to do with backplane capacity?) ... I can playback 70GB 4K H265 files no problem on this as well as my AFTV2 which also only has 10/100 Ethernet (with Android Kodi v17 RC2)... how higher bitrate are you talking?

Interestingly my Samsung UHD TV, for whatever reason, can't play these files back smoothly via its internal player over the network... if I copy the same file to a usb stick the TV can playback no problem (The TV does HDR - really impressed with HDR BTW - and I have to use usb when I want to watch content with HDR). Weird I know - bottom line, perhaps the port bandwidth isn't your issue here?

Ok, so reading that yours is playing back files of that size ok made me check a little further. One file in particular that buffered a lot that I expected to play ok is a 21gb file that is 53 minutes in total. The average bitrate there is well within what it should be capable of, not sure of the peak bitrate.
    I did a quick check to get an idea of the actual connection speed using speedtest.net and I seem to be getting 80-90Mbit (My internet connection is 240Mbit so it should be a pretty good indication). I'll investigate further tomorrow.

steve_192: Thanks, I played around with the buffer settings a lot already and I tried pretty aggressive settings in the end but all it does is increase the time before the problems occur.

• That picture is of a MiniMXIII not a MiniMXIII-II which is 10/100

I know that the picture is for MiniMXIII but from Beelink official website the MiniMXIII-II is not yet reference ...
    But the documentation join to my box indicate clearly Gigabyte RJ 45 port. If you don't believe me, I could send you a picture of the documentation.

Edited once, last by max63_ (January 5, 2017 at 9:21 AM).

• Will a USB 802.11ac wifi adapter be better than this, because it's awful right now

5Ghz AC wifi

2Ghz

And the 10/100 wired

Finaly same 5Ghz as above this time i used my phone

No wonder i couldn't even manage to watch a channel being sent from mediaportal :(

• Wow, that's pretty terrible for 5GHz AC. How far is the box from the router?
    Are you using a Virgin Media Hub 3? If you are you can check the link speed of individual devices if you log into the web interface on the router. I'm curious to see what it's connected at.

Edited once, last by coreire (January 5, 2017 at 5:56 PM).

• max63_ I haven't seen a S905X device with 1Gbit port... What's the speed if you use Android?

Ok sorry, I've just receive the response from Beelink, and You were totally right, it's a 100Mbit port ....
    Sorry for having disturb the thread.
    Again, my bad.