Posts by steve_192

Hi kszaq, I tried running your latest 8.0.0f build on a Nexbox A95X through usb. I used the device tree gxbb_p200_2G_1Gbit_RealtekWiFi.dtb and renamed it dtb.img on usb but in there is no option for Wifi in Libreelec/Network, there is only a Wired option. I have never seen that in your builds....could it be a wrong device tree or?

Thanks in advance.

For the S905X you need one of the device trees staring in gxl.

You add it via Kodi. I'm not in front of my box at the moment but from memory go to add ons / libreelec repository, then add the "network tools" addon.

One thing to note that this installs iperf3 and not iperf, so you also need iperf3 on another network box. I was originally trying to use iperf which is why it didn't initially work.

mmpp

It has the ASIX AX88179 chipset as recommended by Pelican on page 2 of this thread.

cabbresson

I didn't do anything. It worked upon boot.

[Edit: Got iperf working]

Edit 2: The above is with my Nexbox as the server (i.e. the Nexbox is receiving) The other way round the trasnfer is circa 186 Mbits/sec.

The adaptor has arrived and I've just done some initial testing as I haven't much time.

A 4K file that was buffering now plays fine. Copying a 110MB file across the network straight to the box took 3.1 secs which is about 35MB/s. A larger file started at about the same speed, dropped to zero, went back to the same speed etc. The inbuilt network port does the same, which I assume it due to the memory buffer being filled and the data been flushed to the slow writing USB stick I use for Libreelec.

Tried iperf to measure properly, but although this seems to connect no data seems to be transmitted. Need to try another of my machines.

Pelican

Cheers for your post. I have ordered one of these:

Plugable USB 3.0 to 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet LAN: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

I will post my results when it arrives.

If anyone is thinking of purchasing a MINI MX etc for the Gigabit port, one thing to be aware of is that these come with the S905, rather than the S905X. The S905 doesn't support HDR or VP9 decoding. This may, or may not of course be an issue, depending on individual circumstances.

Ok, so reading that yours is playing back files of that size ok made me check a little further. One file in particular that buffered a lot that I expected to play ok is a 21gb file that is 53 minutes in total. The average bitrate there is well within what it should be capable of, not sure of the peak bitrate.
    I did a quick check to get an idea of the actual connection speed using speedtest.net and I seem to be getting 80-90Mbit (My internet connection is 240Mbit so it should be a pretty good indication). I'll investigate further tomorrow.

steve_192: Thanks, I played around with the buffer settings a lot already and I tried pretty aggressive settings in the end but all it does is increase the time before the problems occur.

Are any of the 4K files you are having problems with in the public domain and freely downloadable so I can test?

I'm using a Mini M8S(S905) to access files on my home server. I've recently started using 4k content and the 100Mbit ethernet port on the M8S doesn't seem to have enough bandwidth for some of the higher bitrate files, resulting in buffering every 10-15 seconds or stuttering.

The same files play back fine if put on a USB 2.0 hard drive so the best solution I've though of is a USB Gigabit ethernet adapter. I won't get the full gigabit but hopefully I can use the bandwidth available at the USB port.
    Does Libreelec have support for any USB Gigabit ethernet adapters or 802.11ac wifi adapters?

Any recommendations on an adapter would be appreciated.
    Thanks.

I was having problems with buffering as well on some 4K content. As a work around try increasing the video buffer in Kodi. I used these settings:

How to stop buffering issues on Kodi: The BEST fixes for a stable stream | Alphr

This obviously won't work if the average bitrate is over 100Mbit, however it will help with any temporary high bitrate parts of the file.