LE 7.90.010 Crash/hang after a few seconds after updating from 7.0.3

• System: PC, AMD Athlon II X2 250, Geforce 8200 onboard

Hello everyone,

I am running LE 7.0.3 with Tvheadend 4.1.1945 (LibreELEC Tvh-addon v7.0.102)
    for quite some time now and everything works really well.

Since Kodi 17 entered beta stage I tried to update twice, once some time in October (can't remember the exact version) and then again yesterday (LE 7.90.010). On both occasions, I experienced exactly the same behavior:

1. the update seems to be stuck at the "migrating add-ons" splash-screen. After 2 hours, I reset the machine and it came up with the "Libreelec alpha" and the " Kodi 17 beta" splash.
    2. For a few seconds everything seems fine, then Kodi hangs with a flickering screen and is unresponsive (neither GUI nor SSH or SMB)

Here's a video and also some screenshots with the system configuration:

Thanks in advance!
    Markus

• Is there anything I can do to help you guys debugging this? Not sure how to access logfiles though, since SMB / SSH is not working anymore when this happens. Maybe start a Live-Linux and copy the logfiles from there? Where would I find them?
    Other thought: Could the problem be in any way related to TVHeadend? If so, should TVHeadend be uninstalled before upgrading? How can I restore my TVHeadend settings after reinstalling?

Thanks for any suggestions!
    Markus

• As it seems to be related to your addons, I would disable all of them and retry the update.

All your settings will be stored in the /storage directory, so if that is backed up, you should be able to restore.

• As it seems to be related to your addons, I would disable all of them and retry the update.

All your settings will be stored in the /storage directory, so if that is backed up, you should be able to restore.

Hi I'm having the same problem with versions 7.9-8.0, in that I get flickering after ~30s of booting into kodi 17. My system only gets as far as the 1st page of the kodi wizard before it hangs.

Did you discover whether the problem is due to an addon or due to a graphics driver problem? I too have the geforce 8200 onboard graphics.

FYI kodi 17 runs fine through windows 10, but windows 10 is so slow on my machine! Libreelec 7.03 runs great, with no problems, but the newer version all hang, even with a clean install from a new usb drive.

Thanks!

• the same happened to my parents' odroid (7.95.3 > 8, stuck on the upgrading addons screen). i saw in the blog a comment about deleting the Addons27.db ... once they did that, their system came back to life.

for them SMB and SSH where still working, so they could get in and delete it. if its not letting you do that, then yeah, sounds like you have to mount the card on another machine.

/storage/.kodi/userdata/Database/Addons27.db

Edited once, last by zosky (February 27, 2017 at 3:59 PM).

• Hi I'm having the same problem with versions 7.9-8.0, in that I get flickering after ~30s of booting into kodi 17. My system only gets as far as the 1st page of the kodi wizard before it hangs.

Did you discover whether the problem is due to an addon or due to a graphics driver problem? I too have the geforce 8200 onboard graphics.

FYI kodi 17 runs fine through windows 10, but windows 10 is so slow on my machine! Libreelec 7.03 runs great, with no problems, but the newer version all hang, even with a clean install from a new usb drive.

Thanks!

No, I haven't found a solution, I'm afraid.
    I am quite sure it's a graphics driver problem, because a) the driver was updated in LE8 as compared to 7.0.x and b) the problem also occurs regardless whether I delete all addons before upgrading or doing a clean install.
    I wished, the new drivers were introduced as some kind of installation option instead as a default.
    Seems like we're stuck with 7.0.3 :(
    [hr]

the same happened to my parents' odroid (7.95.3 > 8, stuck on the upgrading addons screen). i saw in the blog a comment about deleting the Addons27.db ... once they did that, their system came back to life.

for them SMB and SSH where still working, so they could get in and delete it. if its not letting you do that, then yeah, sounds like you have to mount the card on another machine.

/storage/.kodi/userdata/Database/Addons27.db

Thanks for the tip with deleting the addonsXX.db file. I read that in another thread a few days ago and indeed that helped me over the "migrating addons" hang. Unfortunately, the system still crashes 10-30 secs after diaplaying the main menue with the presumably graphics driver related problems described above.
    M.

Edited once, last by Markus (February 27, 2017 at 8:40 PM).