Problem in Pictures w/Cubox HW

• Yes, smaller images works. But 4K image (4928x3264 pixels) needs 64 MB of memory for processing it. Sometimes it can be allocated but sometimes not.

Update: Seems it happen on Virtual build too not just imx6.

Edited once, last by vpeter (March 7, 2017 at 10:35 AM).

• After some testing we found out that same problem happen on Wetek Hub too. Seems low powered devices with low ram can have problems watching 4K images. Looking for a test with RPi too.

Edited once, last by vpeter (March 7, 2017 at 11:03 AM).

• After some testing we found out that same problem happen on Wetek Hub too. Seems low powered devices with low ram can have problems watching 4K images. Looking for a test with RPi too.

I can't find the reference any more but when LE was in beta (7.95.1 timeframe) I remember seeing a thread about this problem in Kodi (late 17 beta). I seem to remember seeing it was fixed but maybe not? Since you're getting failures on multiple platforms, maybe that's where the issue lies not in LE itself?

Thanks for keeping on this...

S

• After some more testing I noticed that when using le image with kernel 3.14 crash doesn't happen on my test folder for pictures. Seems it only happens on kernel 4.4.

• I've reverted to 7.03 since I have a (couple) of subdirectories that are still crashing with 8.x...I even tried the new OE8.01 and it doesn't crash but it hangs loading the same subdirectories...I"m thinking it is a combination of the 17.1 Kodi changes and the concomitant changes to the OE/LE that causes the hang/crash issue.

I'd be happy to test if anyone is really interested in fixing this (or be happy to send a zip of a directory that does crash every time...300+ jpg pictures even though they're all limited to 1920x1080 resolution @ 240 ppi).

• I have the same issue with all 7.9 alpha and 80 builds community and official with any Pictures on my Wetek Hub.
    When it tries to generate thumbnails for my pictures it halts/crashes and Kodi restarts after approx. 3rd to 5th tumbnail.
    According to the logs it is always killed by OOM of Kernel.

I also tried reducing size of thumbs (advanced settings xml /<imageres>320</imageres>) - after that Kodi hangs/crashed after approx 10th to 15th thumbnail generated.

With 7.0 community build it works.

Regards.

amaedl.

Edited once, last by amaedl (April 26, 2017 at 5:45 PM).

• I have the same issue with all 7.9 alpha and 80 builds community and official with any Pictures on my Wetek Hub.
    When it tries to generate thumbnails for my pictures it halts/crashes and Kodi restarts after approx. 3rd to 5th tumbnail.
    According to the logs it is always killed by OOM of Kernel.

I also tried reducing size of thumbs (advanced settings xml /<imageres>320</imageres>;) - after that Kodi hangs/crashed after approx 10th to 15th thumbnail generated.

With 7.0 community build it works.

Regards.

amaedl.

I've been working with vpeter to try and figure this one out...it appears to be non-trivial to fix.

We've found a work-around that seems to work pretty well. There are two requirements for the fix...

• Vpeter has built a 3.14 kernel version of LE 8.02. If you PM him, I'm pretty sure he'll send you a link to download it.
    • Along with that, you need to be able to adjust the size/resolution of the jpg's to reduce their total size. I use a size of 1920x1080 and 240dpi which gives a file-size on my jpgs of less than ~2.5 meg. I can successfully view directories with over 300 pictures defined like that. I'd suggest using whatever display you're using to determine what size / resolution to try. If you're using Lightroom to manage your pictures, you can adjust your resolution when you export from RAW files or use it to change jpg resolutions also by exporting(I think)...

Steve

• I think I managed to fix this issue partially. Not yet perfect but I can generate thumbs for 4k images. And this is with device with 2 GB of ram.
    Please test and let me know how it goes. If still failing tell exactly what is the process (and sample images would be good if I already don't have them).

LibreELEC-imx6.arm-8.0.1.img.gz

Before Linux kernel issued Oops. But now OOM (Out Of Memory) can happen and Kodi restarts.

In case this image works it would be good to check if all video files are still played.

Edited once, last by vpeter (May 2, 2017 at 4:46 PM).

• This Problems must be somewhere within Kodi 17 (Krypton) - or the way Kodi allocates the Memory for Photo Thumbnails.
    Under Android (WeOS) and Kodi 17.1 RC I have the very same behavior!

Regards

amaedl

• This Problems must be somewhere within Kodi 17 (Krypton) - or the way Kodi allocates the Memory for Photo Thumbnails.
    Under Android (WeOS) and Kodi 17.1 RC I have the very same behavior!

Could be. It was working fine on 7.90.006 for imx6. But now it works also in 8.0.2 :)

How big pictures you have? And how much memory your wetek has?
    4k images needs more than 60MB of memory per picture. And I think at least two pictures are resized at the same time.
    This problem was confirmed also on Wetek Play with Kodi/LE.

• Hi,
    I am just playing with LibreELEC (8.0.1) and can confirm troubles on Rpi 2.

1) when loading content of folder with 3096x4128, after some time kodi restarts

2) when I start presentation on folder (I am not inside that folder because it is not possible because of point 1) ), then

• 2a) it takes about 25 sec to show next picture. (In settings I have 3 sec interval defined). Manually I can slide images without problem, but automatical presentation is very slow ..
    • 2b) after some time (and after x images) there is kodi restart instead of next image shown
    • 2c) videos are not shown, only sound is present. When I try to move on to next image, then video appears in transition fading effect to next image - it takes about 2 seconds. (my gallery is from mobile phone - mixed videos and photos)
  • Hi,

i am interested in this thread, because i have the same problem on all Linux based machines (not only LibreElec). Down scaling the images is not an option for me. Does some one know if there is a solution? Kodi on Windows seems not to be not affected.

- Laptop with 4GB RAM and Linux Mint 18

- Raspberry Pi

- HTPC with 8GB RAM and LibreElec 8.2.1

btw.: The Screensaver App in Kodi is displaying all the Photos with no crash/Kodi restart.