[S905/S905X] LE 7.0.x Boot issue test images

• After some more thought i believe it should be Disabled.
    I think asking you to supply 2 different system images for every version is not worth it.

Supplying a different system image towards the end of Jarvis might be the solution to please S905x Boxes.

Going forward to Krypton i would leave it Disabled and maybe Enable it as a Special Treat every now and then for S905x Boxes.
    The bottom line is, S905 Boxes will no longer have a Temp Reading from now on.

Everybody should be happy with that.
    If you're not, Go and Buy a THERMOMETER and stick it where ever you want to take the Temperature.

Since making a Joke about this Temperature Sensor being the possible cause of Freezing back whenever,
    I need to get away from this bug and move on. :D

• Just found a link to download the latest Android firmware 108L1 for my M18 (and MX64). Not sure whether it works and also fix the temperature sensor problem but I definitely will try. Even if it works I can still live with no processor temperature reading. I have been living with this for almost 10 months anyway. Most important thing is my wife won't smash the box because of too many boot failures.

• Current usage is that if you stress CPU it will throttle after reaching 70°C and shut down after exceeding 85°C.

And, jf the sensor is disabled? Will it just continue to overheat and never shut down?

I'm just throwing it out there (since it's way out of my league) but, is there a chance that the temp sensor can be enabled at a different point and avoid the hang?

Edited once, last by Poida (January 4, 2017 at 11:26 AM).

• Not sure whether it works and also fix the temperature sensor problem but I definitely will try.

Please test with 7.0.3.011.
    [hr]

And, jf the sensor is disabled? Will it just continue to overheat and never shut down?

I suspect that it will heat up until burned. :D

Edited once, last by kszaq (January 4, 2017 at 11:25 AM).

• Great work on finding out the cause of the freezing on boot up for S905 devices.. I agree that android firmware updates are probably non-existant anymore and manufacturers quickly move onto newer models and abandon older models.

I have a Mini-MX-G V1 (Nexteon manufactured , unbranded Beelink) " 2G- 16G , 1 Gig ethernet, dual band WiFi - this device suffers from freezing on reboot (I havent tested the new builds with temp sensor disabled yet). However the android firmware I am running is 107L1 April 2016 - I believe this is the lastest available firmware for this device and there are no newer updates available, unlesss there is a compatible firmware from other similar boxes that works on this box..

- best option is probably to have seperate build for incompatible devices temp sensor disabled, no point for users who's devices work well with temp sensor to suffer as well.

If option 2 is too much extra work and overhead for you then option 3 is the best option diasble the temp sensor in all builds. Eiither way will be fine, I live in the UK it's generally not very warm here...not much danger of overheating these devices :)

Edited once, last by xsi (January 4, 2017 at 11:47 AM).

• Thank you kostaman.

Tests result: the reason behind freezing is outdated BL30 blob (a part of u-boot) that causes freezing during saradc initialization (S905 temperature sensor).

I guess I now have 3 ways to go:

• tell users to update their Android firmware - that would leave boxes with outdated/no-newer-version-available firmware frozen
    • disable temperature sensor in my builds
    • provide additional system image with temperature sensor disabled

Is it possible to replace the BL30 blob or u-boot without installing new Android firmware ?

Thanks kszaq

• If option 2 is too much extra work and overhead for you then option 3 is the best option diasble the temp sensor in all builds. Eiither way will be fine, I live in the UK it's generally not very warm here...not much danger of overheating these devices :)

But a very real danger here, in Australia :dodgy:
    [hr]
    Build LibreELEC-S905.arm-7.0-devel-20170104082155-r23608-gcb8de5f won't get past reporting 'Failed to start load kernel modules' and spilling a load of text (all futher lines begin with OK) on the screen with the MiniMX-G
    [hr]

Going forward to Krypton i would leave it Disabled and maybe Enable it as a Special Treat every now and then for S905x Boxes.
    The bottom line is, S905 Boxes will no longer have a Temp Reading from now on.

We are all aware that this issue is not restricted to S905, aren't we?
    The Beelink Mini MXIII II (S905X) is also affected.

Edited once, last by Poida (January 4, 2017 at 1:28 PM).

• Updated my MX64 with Android firmware 108L1 and tested with 7.0.3.11 32bit, there're still boot issues but situation improved a lot. I would say before update only 1 out of 5 it boot successfully and now it is 1 out of 5 it boot failed.

• I have a Nexbox MXQ 4K Pro box with S905 chipset and I put 008 to the internal SD with the installtointernal command, which is running fine.

I guess, I am not able to update Android, anymore, right? :D

Also, I realized, that there is nearly no chance to get an Android update, anyway. Support is not the strong suite of those cheap box producers. :)

I also have 008 on an external SD, which I could use now for test purposes, if there is still any need for.

• Thank you kostaman.

Tests result: the reason behind freezing is outdated BL30 blob (a part of u-boot) that causes freezing during saradc initialization (S905 temperature sensor).

• tell users to update their Android firmware - that would leave boxes with outdated/no-newer-version-available firmware frozen

So we basically need a updated uboot? I assume updating to a ported Minix U1 Android firmware will not update uboot, much the same when installing LE.

613673-minix-neo-u1-firmware-port-for-minimxiii-ánd-mini-mx-prerooted-twrp-recovery

• Thank you kostaman.

kszaq
    couldn't you release images with temp sensor loaded as kernel module and then we (S905) can blacklist it on first successful boot?

/storage/.config/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf

Edited once, last by stormrev (January 4, 2017 at 7:02 PM).

• kszaq
    couldn't you release images with temp sensor loaded as kernel module and then we (S905) can blacklist it on first successful boot?

Or maybe the other way : module blacklisted by default, and loaded only by people running supported S905X boxes.

Edited once, last by Fredouye (January 4, 2017 at 8:05 PM).

• So we basically need a updated uboot? I assume updating to a ported Minix U1 Android firmware will not update uboot, much the same when installing LE.

613673-minix-neo-u1-firmware-port-for-minimxiii-ánd-mini-mx-prerooted-twrp-recovery

Checked the U-boot version from bootloader.img inside the custom android FW
    but i don't dare flashing the bootloader on my last working box..
    anyways it's U-Boot 2015.01-g8759eac (May 06 2016 - 14:40:59) versus
    U-Boot 2015.01-g937dd3a (Apr 20 2016 - 11:39:18) from minimx 107L

• kszaq

It's not that easy. [emoji6]

To provide temperature reading you need to select two things: AML TEMP SENSOR and SARADC. The first one has to be built in and it changes the way how Mali driver is compiled. The second one can be compiled as a module and its the one causing boot issues. The thing is that if you don't load SARADC, kmsg is spammed with errors because of a non-working sensor. Also there is a short noise when the module is loaded.

I don't want to introduce these because of some devices with old firmware. I think I'll provide an extra build for every release, one of which will have a disabled temperature sensor.

• I am prepared to flash a working Android s905 firmware that is not for my box and see what happens.
    I have done it before. I just cannot see anyone who has a working S905 box with .011. to try it.
    If anyone reading this has an s905 box working without a freeze on .011 let us know.

Anybody ??????
    [hr]

Is any possibility to update u-boot?

Edited once, last by kostaman (January 5, 2017 at 8:45 AM).

• The only way to update u-boot I can recommend is to install the latest Android firmware from manufacturer. I haven't tried and I don't recommend flashing u-boot from a different device.

S905 devices without freezes are WeTek Hub, WeTek Play2 and Odroid-C2. All my non-branded S905 devices "died" in one or another way, I can't check.

Edited once, last by kszaq (January 5, 2017 at 8:57 AM).