RetroELEC Kodi+Wayland+Emulationstation+RetroArch (x86/XU4/RPi)

• Ok, first of all, very nice idea to combine these two packages together!!!

Unfortunately, I have a ton of issues, problems and questions.

I am running this build on a Celeron 887, which is a sandy bridge CPU with Intel graphics.

First issue is that it took me a lot of hours to get the HDMI to work.

With version 7, this was no issue at all!!

Second is that I have a lot of tearing with videos and emulated games.

To an extend that it's almost unwatchable.

I have tried modifying and putting both xorg-i915.conf AND xorg-modesetting.conf in the "Configfiles" directory with the "TearFree" option, but still no luck.

Again, I don't have any issues with version 7.

If I change "emulator-frontend.conf" to "FRONTEND="/usr/bin/retroarch.start" the whole program doesn't work anymore at all.

Need to do a total software reset.

I can't get any Dreamcast or PSX ROMS to work.

I placed them in the right directory, even placed BIOS files, but they simply don't load at all.

Apparently DOSBOX is available, but where can I put my files/games?

• Hi. hope this is the right place to post ,

I have a intel nuc 5i3ryh and I tried to install the Haswell .tar on top of LibreElec but after start the upgrade process a message appears that I do not have enough space in my fat partition to install it. and suggest to resize at least to 512mb.

My partiton is 512mb and 15 GB of storage so how can I resolve this problem?

Thanks alot for your help

• I've been trying to compile the latest version of the build on various different Linux distros but can't quite seem to ever get it to finish. I first started with Debian and immediately ran into a ton of issues but managed to mostly get them fixed. However I got stumped on a problem trying to compile NSS. I tried using different versions but I think I narrowed the issue down to be a bug with cmake.

I then ran across a post by Escalade on another forum discussing a similar problem with someone also trying to compile on Ubuntu. Reading that thread, I noticed Escalade mentioned using Arch. This user apparently also gave up on Ubuntu and moved to Arch and was able to successfully build an image (I think). In an attempt to emulate that success, I also installed an Arch system and began the build process again. After fixing an annoying kernel panic due to the driver for VMware's VMXNET3 adapter, the build process started in earnest and looked like it was going well. Then I ran into another issue while trying to compile open-vm-tools and I'm totally stumped at this point.

Google hasn't been much help and I really didn't know where else to turn. I was hoping that maybe someone here could share their build environment or a few suggestions in the hopes of getting this build compiled. Any help is greatly appreciated and thanks for your time!

Edited once, last by cragmuer (July 22, 2017 at 1:15 PM).

• b_force

It's xorg.conf, so rename _one_ of those files to /storage/.config/xorg.conf and it'll work. My build uses modesetting for Atom/Celeron so you'll want to switch to i915. I'm guessing your gpu doesn't like the modesetting driver and is what is causing the tearing issues.

As for your other issues, no logs no problem. Dosbox can be launched through SSH as dosbox.sh. You'll find plenty of information on the web on how to use it.

orione7

Manually find out why the SYSTEM/KERNEL files don't fit on your /flash partition, or delete both partitions and do a clean install.

cragmuer

No logs, no problem.... You'll need these on Arch:

# pacman -S base-devel wget bc gperf zip xorg-mkfontscale xorg-mkfontdir xorg-bdftopcf libxslt jre8-openjdk-headless perl-xml-parser git unzip python patchutils lzop

• Hi Escalade, could you please tell me how do a clean installation with the .tar file? I can't find the .img file in your Haswell folder. I also tried to resize the 512mb (system partition) with gparted but isn't possible, then I resize the storage partition in 2 partition of 8gb each, but still the upgrade fail. The strange is that I did the upgrade around 2 days ago with just split the Storage partition but now doesn't work anymore.

• Who told you that you absolutely need to use the haswell one? That's simply a build done with gcc -march=haswell. Use any .img.gz and try harder. There's tons of threads on this forum with the same issue.

• escalade

If you can tell me where I can find these logs, I can send them

I also have been searching about DOSBOX last weekend, but I can't find anything that suits with this LibreElec setup

Of course I can't always use SSH for this.

BTW, is there also a workaround to start Emulationstation or RetroArch from a different skin?

Not really fan of the standard skin.

• Who told you that you absolutely need to use the haswell one? That's simply a build done with gcc -march=haswell. Use any .img.gz and try harder. There's tons of threads on this forum with the same issue.

Hi, is strange but seems that the only one that let work properly the wifi chip (7265) in my nuc is your Haswell build. After I tried your Haswell build I tried also tons of others build, but all with the same problem, slow connection and lots of drops. instead with your build I din't find any problems in regard wifi connection.

• cragmuer

In your case that would be the output of your terminal.

orione7

The haswell build has 4.12 kernel, could be why. Just install from any .img.gz and update to it. You're talking about problems compiling NSS due to bugs in cmake yet NSS does not use the cmake build system. If you want help, you need to post information on what's going on. You say you have an issue compiling open-vm-tools? What kind of an issue? What does it say? Post the complete output of your make command.

• Escalade,

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly. I've attached a copy of the terminal output as it's rather long. A quick note about specs of the VM I'm using to build the image: ESXi 6.5 w/32 cores, 64GB of memory (reserved) and 100GB root partition and no swap.

Edited once, last by cragmuer (July 29, 2017 at 11:49 PM).

• You've only posted a few lines which doesn't include the actual error.

EDIT: Sorry, it does contain the error I just missed it :)

error: type of 'strlcpy' does not match original declaration [-Werror=lto-type-mismatch]

It's actually a warning, but the compiler was told to treat warnings as errors. In any case, it shouldn't occur it doesn't for me on Arch. Have you updated your installation? pacman -Syu

Another way to fix it would be to use strip_lto in the package.mk (see other packages for example) but like I said it shouldn't occur and I've confirmed it here by building open-vm-tools / libidnet with no issue.

Edited once, last by escalade (July 22, 2017 at 9:33 PM).

• escalade
    Thanks for the suggestion. I looked up the package.mk format on the LibreELEC wiki and followed that as an example. I added the option "strip_lto" but unfortunately the build process just hit the same error. I've attached another text file that includes the output, which really is the same, and a copy/paste of the package.mk for open-vm-tools just in case you see something I might have edited incorrectly or left out. I'm also going to try the "strip_gold" option mentioned on the LibreELEC wiki page as a last resort.

As for the environment, before I attempted to add the "strip_lto" option I deleted the virtual machine and re-installed a fresh copy of Arch fully updated. You don't think it might have something to do with having so many CPU cores presented to the VM do you? I was going to use just a single core but the build was going so slow I figured for this go around I'd try with all 32 cores. It's very odd that you don't have any problems and yet we seem to be using entirely similar build environments. I'm also going to try and manually compile a copy of open-vm-tools and libdnet and see what happens. What do you think about trying an older version of open-vm-tools or eliminating the package all together, if that's even possible.

Again, thanks a lot for your help and especially your time on this problem. I've really been stumped for like the past 2 weeks trying to get this to work so it's much appreciated!

Edited once, last by cragmuer (July 29, 2017 at 11:49 PM).

• Number of CPU's shouldn't matter. You can try disabling vmware in GRAPHIC_DRIVERS in distribution/LibreELEC/options. I don't know what's causing your issue like I said it compiles fine here and for others using Arch.

Which branch of my tree are you using?

• escalade

I just tried building it again but this time I added a new section (make_target) to the package.mk file and put the "strip_lto" option under there. I noticed while searching Google that other packages had the same option but under different sections so I figured I'd give that shot. Still no luck though and it failed to build at the same place with the same error. Maybe I'll try adding it to all the available sections in an attempt to get lucky HAHA. Anyway...

As for the branch, I'm using "le8", do you think I should try "le8-test"? Also, since I'm installing this on an Intel NUC, will disabling the vmware graphic drivers break any possible functionality down the road, like updating or something else? I'm assuming I don't need open-vm-tools if I'm installing it on a NUC but I really don't know much about LibreELEC at all.

I might try Debian again to see if fixing the error I had when compiling NSS is easier. Oh, one last thing, do you think this has anything to do with having open-vm-tools installed on the Arch VM? I think I'm going to reinstall Arch again without installing any extraneous software, which really is only open-vm-tools and stuff like sudo, vim and htop. How are you building this, is it through a VM running on ESXi or some other virtualization platform? Maybe I'll give that a shot instead. Trying all avenues here LOL...

• Hi escalade

Could you explain me how fs-uae should switch to kickstart 3.1

my zip and adf inside are named with word "AGA" but fs-uae launch it as A500 kickstart 1.3 ??

I also have 2 roms that only works with kikcstart 2.01 and A600 model

could you add a condition to your script for these roms?

And if someone still have the last working ION build I'd like to get it

Thnks