RetroELEC Kodi+Wayland+Emulationstation+RetroArch (x86/XU4/RPi)

• jaykass

Regarding multiple key presses, did you try disabling lirc (seem to remember that was a solution in a thread with similar issue)? Can't say I have much experience with remotes. My lirc and eventlircd package is now in sync with LE 9.2, not sure I can be of further help regarding that.

I figured this out.

Your build is missing some standard LE udev rules for some reason. I note the specific issue below but you may wish to review why others are also missing.

In my case "/usr/lib/udev/rules.d/70-input-repeat.rules" fixes this issue.

To verify the fix, I copied the file from Vanilla LE to your build in "/storage/.config/udev.rules.d/70-input-repeat.rules"

This will work as a temp resolution for me until it gets included properly in "/usr/lib/udev/rules.d/"

Here are all the rules found in Vanilla LE but not in your build:

70-infrared.rules

70-input-repeat.rules

90-libinput-model-quirks.rules

96-e2scrub.rules

98-eventlircd.rules

Edited once, last by jaykass: added list of missing rules (January 26, 2020 at 6:16 AM).

• Ended up getting Saturn to work, I think I had my bios file named wrong but are there any tweaks I can make to the system settings to get it to run smoother? Leads me to believe that my bios files for ps2 are incorrect so I’ll keep trying there unless I’m missing something obvious, hell maybe soon I’ll upgrade my system and just be on a tight-ish budget

• jaykass

Found the issue, I had set REMOTE_SUPPORT=no in my options file :)

96-e2scrub.rules is nowhere to be found in LE though. Not needed as my images use F2FS anyways.

Liquidmercury

Beetle-saturn is heavy, not much you can do except maybe enabling threading or frame skipping in the core (which has other negative consequences). Perhaps you could give the kronos core a try (not included in my build), it's an x86 version of yabasanshiro which should be lighter.

• Can anyone confirm if the screentearing in menus’s is fixed in the rpi4 build?

Which emulators are working on the rpi4?

• thanks!

• Screen tearing still seems to be a minor problem in Kodi, this is also the case in the latest stable vanilla LE build (9.2).

I just took another look and I think the tearing may be resolved by escalade.

escalade I recommend if someone is connecting a Pi4 to a 4K TV that they force the display into 1080p60Hz otherwise it feels a bit laggy in the various interfaces. Once I switched to 1080p, it all seems to be running buttery smooth!

I added the following to my /flash/config.txt:

Code
    hdmi_group=1
    hdmi_mode=16

I'm not sure if it is something that makes sense to have as a default or not for Pi4 builds but I can't imagine anyone would want to run this at 4K based on performance.

• Just want to see if its possible with the wii emulator to pair a wii mote with retro arch to kinda kick the tires really thinking about using some tax refund money to get a proper emulation machine and new kodi box to boot, I was able to get it it pair with dolphin on the other build with dolphin as a stand alone but via retro arch nothing so far right now im trying to figure out what works and what dosent on the hardware i have, before i make a move.

• jaykass

Yeah, I did the same with the RPi3b, it performs a lot better at 720p. I agree with you that it would make sense to set 1080p as a default for the RPi4. Hardware accelerated video playback at 4k is a totally different thing from being able to rendering graphics at 4k. Could you tell me a bit about how it performs in different cores? Is it powerful enough to use any shaders? I'd be interested to know if it can use the crt-frutbunn shader for example.

Liquidmercury

Your logs doesn't contain anything, I guess you rebooted. In any case, I don't know how you expected a Celeron 1017U to run PCSX2, it requires AVX2: PCSX2 - The Playstation 2 emulator - Getting Started

I doubt Dolphin will run any games satisfactory on that CPU either. You should be able to use a real wiimote though.

As for the latest generic image, looks like I set wrong compiler optimization by mistake. I've removed it and currently building a new image.

• on your competitors build it seemed to run anyway just wanted to see what the system i have can do before i begin looking for a new one in earnest. Guess hes given up and to each thier own i guess anyway I really like how yours is put together and thanks for all the hard work.

• jaykass

Yeah, I did the same with the RPi3b, it performs a lot better at 720p. I agree with you that it would make sense to set 1080p as a default for the RPi4. Hardware accelerated video playback at 4k is a totally different thing from being able to rendering graphics at 4k. Could you tell me a bit about how it performs in different cores? Is it powerful enough to use any shaders? I'd be interested to know if it can use the crt-frutbunn shader for example.

I'll continue to test cores and I'll look at that shader specifically. So far everything I've tested has been at 1080p 60fps.

Are you interested in pull requests? I would like to have just a few more cores (tg16/pcengine, Sega CD, sameboy or gambatte depending on performance). If you push your latest to GitHub, I'll send some PR if/when I make any worthwhile changes.

• My "competitor" copied all my packages:

Dockerfile for PCSX2:

Docker/Dockerfile at f6b7e34feed2871fd958dff47674a87234476ec9 · escalade/Docker · GitHub

Docker/PCSX2 at master · 5schatten/Docker · GitHub

PCSX2 config:

RetroELEC/GSdx.ini at le9 · escalade/RetroELEC · GitHub

LibreELEC-RR/GSdx.ini at master-rr · 5schatten/LibreELEC-RR · GitHub

As you can see, there's zero difference PCSX2. Same Arch Linux base, same packages, same config.

AFAIK there's an AVX2 requirement.