RetroELEC Kodi+Wayland+Emulationstation+RetroArch (x86/XU4/RPi)

• I'm on the latest generic build (from the 23rd). Kodi and ES startup fine, but Firefox does not. I see a blank 'sway' background and then (I assume when Firefox should populate the screen) the screen goes blank and Kodi comes up again.

I can not find any logfile that mentions Firefox. Is there any particular log file that you need here ?

• when I changed builds originally there were three up there, now there is just one changed to the one up will test, honestly I was having trouble figuring out your naming convention when there were multiple files up. Hopefully this works. Thanks again for all your hard work with this its really appreciated

Am I correct In assuming that you will need new logs for saturn and ps2 as I updated builds?

Edited once, last by Liquidmercury: added more info (January 24, 2020 at 2:51 PM).

• Did I mention that beetle-psx now has the new "lightrec" dynarec? Settings should be "dithering pattern" disabled, multisampling on, dynrec "max performance" and internal resolution 4x or as high as your CPU allows. It looks and runs great on 4x with my very old i5 NUC (steady 60fps on crash racing) :D

Wonder if I should make it default settings to make it easy, what do you guys think? Those with weaker CPU's will need to adjust down in that case, not sure what hardware the average guy has anymore these days.

Any Amiga fans be sure to try out the PUAE core, which has gotten a lot of attention lately. The on screen keyboard, whdload support, LED support etc has brought the glory days of the Amiga back.

I've been doing a lot of tuning under the hood to make sane default settings that should work for everyone. Later on I will make my tree easy to rebase on the latest LE, at the moment I'm keeping in sync manually due to a lot of my own changes in packages.

I'm currently on holiday but brought a box with me to play around as there's so much good stuff happening in libretro these days I can't stay away.

• jaykass

Thanks for being my guinea pig here, can you try out the latest image? The mentioned issues should now be fixed :) I've created a new browser container for ARM as well, escalade1/archarm, which has Firefox 72. It's a bit on the fat side (~1GB compressed), and completely untested as I don't have any RPi available to test.

No worries about being the guinea pig. I want this on my Pi4, so the way I look at it, you are doing me a huge favor.

RetroELEC-RPi4.arm-9.2-devel-20200123173325-28eddc2.img

• Errors/warnings at boot are gone. :)
    • Launching Retroarch results in restarting Kodi.
    • Launching Browser displays SWAY for a long while and then restarts Kodi. Previously it just restarted Kodi.
    • I tried to launch an NES rom from ES and it just exited back to ES.
    • Multiple button presses/missing button presses remains when using flirc.

Do you need someone to review the RPi2 image as well? I still have an assortment of RPi2/3/3+. If so I can review after we get through testing the RPi4 image.

Latest log file attached.

• That's odd, I can't see any Emulationstation or retroarch logs in there, perhaps you had rebooted inbetween. Looks like something went wrong while extracting the container. These issues are fixable though, the logs are of great help. Please do test RPi2/RPi3 if possible too, although I expect them to work the same. They should perform better with the new Mesa driver as well.

• That's odd, I can't see any Emulationstation or retroarch logs in there, perhaps you had rebooted inbetween. Looks like something went wrong while extracting the container. These issues are fixable though, the logs are of great help. Please do test RPi2/RPi3 if possible too, although I expect them to work the same. They should perform better with the new Mesa driver as well.

No reboot was done. I can grab Retroarch and ES logs separately though.

*EDIT*

D'oh! I think I did reboot from within ES.

Updated log attached. I saw RA and ES logs in there.

• jaykass

Hm, I fixed that issue but looks like maybe I didn't upload the new image. New RPi4 image with the latest and greatest on the way in about 15 min :)

EDIT: New image ready, let me know how it works :)

mtk1

Found the firefox issue, can you try the generic image under "test"? If you look at /usr/bin/firefox.sh it tries to launch "firefox-developeredition", it should just be "firefox". I used the Arch dev package a while but now FF 72 is released and it works great on Wayland from my minimum of testing.

• jaykass

Hm, I fixed that issue but looks like maybe I didn't upload the new image. New RPi4 image with the latest and greatest on the way in about 15 min :)

EDIT: New image ready, let me know how it works :)

mtk1

Found the firefox issue, can you try the generic image under "test"? If you look at /usr/bin/firefox.sh it tries to launch "firefox-developeredition", it should just be "firefox". I used the Arch dev package a while but now FF 72 is released and it works great on Wayland from my minimum of testing.

* Update via Update folder failed (stuck at RetroElec Bootup Screen)

* Install from USB stick (installer) failed with mount_flash not being able to mount UUID=xxxxx

Any info you need from the debug console ?

• @escalade

I'm creating a new setup on a 2nd hand 'Tronsmart Ara x5 plus'.

(started to miss my HTPC too much)

I do have an error if I try to setup Weatherbit.io.

Code
    /usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/PIL/_imaging.so: undefined symbol: ZSTD_freeCStream

(see details here)

Is this something that you can help with solving?

I'm glad that I have SABnzb, Plex server, and Kodi in general back again.

TVHeadend is running fine(isch) via Docker with a few minor issues.

• jaykass

Regarding multiple key presses, did you try disabling lirc (seem to remember that was a solution in a thread with similar issue)? Can't say I have much experience with remotes. My lirc and eventlircd package is now in sync with LE 9.2, not sure I can be of further help regarding that.

• No worries about being the guinea pig. I want this on my Pi4, so the way I look at it, you are doing me a huge favor.

RetroELEC-RPi4.arm-9.2-devel-20200123173325-28eddc2.img

• Errors/warnings at boot are gone. :)
    • Launching Retroarch results in restarting Kodi.
    • Launching Browser displays SWAY for a long while and then restarts Kodi. Previously it just restarted Kodi.
    • I tried to launch an NES rom from ES and it just exited back to ES.
    • Multiple button presses/missing button presses remains when using flirc.

Do you need someone to review the RPi2 image as well? I still have an assortment of RPi2/3/3+. If so I can review after we get through testing the RPi4 image.

Latest log file attached.

RetroELEC-RPi4.arm-9.2-devel-20200125142536-28eddc2.img

• Retroarch is now working
    • Browser still fails (honestly, I don't care about this but I'll keep testing if you want)
    • Multiple button presses/missing button presses remain when using flirc.
      • Not 100% certain but I think it might be better (but not completely fixed) by setting my TV to 1080p 60hz rather than the default 4K 30hz. I'll be running at 1080p most likely anyway. I have no need to drive 4K at this time.
      • I updated fw on the flirc which took me down a nightmare path last night, but same results in the end.
      • Is lirc easy to disable? I didn't see it in settings. I'll google around if you aren't sure off the top of your head.

Latest log attached.

This is now at a point where I will use as primary OS so I may have more specific feedback as I go.

• mtk1

Can't reproduce here, tested update and install on VMware fusion no problems. Also updated my NUC with the same build.

RomMon

Fixed in the next release, the problem was caused by libtiff compiled with zstd support.

Hm, I reflashed the USB stick and a fresh install completed ok.

Firefox starts up ok. But, now I do have those 'freezing' effects again. The whole screen freezes for seconds incl. the cursor.
    After a few of those 'freezing' events, Firefox crashes and Kodi comes back up.

The kernel logs shows this again:

[ 476.365777] Asynchronous wait on fence i915:sway[991]:974 timed out (hint:intel_atomic_commit_ready+0x0/0x54)

[ 480.433214] i915 0000:00:02.0: GPU HANG: ecode 8:1:0x85dffffb, in sway [991], stopped heartbeat on rcs0

[ 480.433218] GPU hangs can indicate a bug anywhere in the entire gfx stack, including userspace.

[ 480.433219] Please file a _new_ bug report on bugs.freedesktop.org against DRI -> DRM/Intel

[ 480.433220] drm/i915 developers can then reassign to the right component if it's not a kernel issue.

[ 480.433220] The GPU crash dump is required to analyze GPU hangs, so please always attach it.

[ 480.433221] GPU crash dump saved to /sys/class/drm/card0/error

This seemed fixed in previous builds. Anything you changed here ?