RetroELEC Kodi+Wayland+Emulationstation+RetroArch (x86/XU4/RPi)

• What hardware is recommended to have a smooth dolphin/pcsx2 experience?

Check out the requirements on their project site. I'd say minimum a recent Core i5/i7. The faster the better.

question for you. Does the build work on RPi4 ? I really want to combine a media center and game center with out dual booting kodi and lakka (which currently is the only emulation distro compatible with my device)

Retropie does have a kodi addon through experimental packages but it's to wonky to work right on RPi4

Not yet, I'll probably rebase and push out some RPi4 images you can test over christmas. Don't have one personally so not on the top of my priority list.

Great work !

Quick question: Would it possible to include Noto fonts ( Google Noto Fonts) in the firefox docker image ? This would allow better rendering of non-latin characters.

Very possible, I have been thinking about including some better looking fonts. I'll have a look when I get around to it.

• Check out the requirements on their project site. I'd say minimum a recent Core i5/i7. The faster the better.

Not yet, I'll probably rebase and push out some RPi4 images you can test over christmas. Don't have one personally so not on the top of my priority list.

Very possible, I have been thinking about including some better looking fonts. I'll have a look when I get around to it.

Thank you so much for the reply. I'll wait patently..lol

• He escalade

I didn't know you where still building :)

Nice build works like a charm only iptv on kodi does not run anymore

Is it possible to install a iptv program trough docker or wayland ?(still don't understand how you do this but it is working great!)

That way you don't have to worry about it (if you do haha) and people who want to use kodi can use both (like my girlfriend)

For all the people that wanted to start emulationstation, retroarch or the browser trough kodi in a different skin here are the updates to install them as addons:

Waspoedertje Github

(If people want more 'Addons' Please just PM me)

Cheers

• escalade finally got around to install your build two days ago, installing was no issue, but if i started a game from Emulationstation it wouldn't get any sound. If i started from retroarch it worked fine though (with hw:0,3 audio setting). Also, couldn't scrape games in ES, got the following error "some of your systems do not have a platform set".

Couldn't import games in Retroarch either and it seems to be based on Lakka, so when I updated Retroarch/Lakka it updated the whole OS :p
    Lastly, I couldn't go back to Kodi once I launched ES, if I chose Shutdown Emulationstation it would just start again.

Edited once, last by slacker666 (December 23, 2019 at 1:42 PM).

• This build uses Pulseaudio. In case you've got several outputs and the connected one isn't auto-detected, you need to set the default with something like this:

# pactl set-default-source alsa_output.pci-0000_00_1f.3.hdmi-stereo.monitor

Obviously you shouldn't update to a different OS, I'll remove the hardcoded menu entry in RetroArch that makes it possible. As for the ES issues, I'll have a look at it.

• This build uses Pulseaudio. In case you've got several outputs and the connected one isn't auto-detected, you need to set the default with something like this:

# pactl set-default-source alsa_output.pci-0000_00_1f.3.hdmi-stereo.monitor

Obviously you shouldn't update to a different OS, I'll remove the hardcoded menu entry in RetroArch that makes it possible. As for the ES issues, I'll have a look at it.

Yeah I figured that was a bad move, but at first I thought it would only update Retroarch itself and not the entire OS.

Great, thanks a lot!

• Pulseaudio sucks with kodi i couldn't get it to work no passtrough DTS and stuff

I did a workaround to stop it in autostart.sh so kodi kan use the soundcard in alsa (systemctl stop pulseaudio)

created /storage/.config/pulse/client.conf with the line

autospawn = no

I start kodi-emulationstation.py trough a addon in kodi and have sound everywhere except ps2 and ps3

so i add in es_system.conf

systemctl start pulseaudio && /usr/bin/pcsx2.sh %ROM%

Works like a charm

Btw is the intel nuc8i5 fast enough to play heavy ps3 games ?

• Pulseaudio 13 supports HD audio passthrough, so if anything "sucks" it's Kodi for not supporting it. I suppose it's a good idea to stop Pulseaudio before starting Kodi to let it get full control over audio devices for the time being, I'll do that for the next build. I don't think it's necessary to set autospawn.

A better way to stop/start Pulseaudio would be the ExecStartPre= and ExecStopPost= directives in the systemd unit.

I haven't tried any heavy games, but NBA Jam and Street Fighter plays well in 1080p.

• All emulators in this build are libretro cores at this point. I think the Dolphin core works beautifully now, have you tried it? I'll look at Cemu at some point, maybe I'll have time in the next few weeks. I can surely add it through Docker. If you are impatient you can try adding it yourself using the PCSX2 container, have a look at /usr/bin/pcsx2.sh to see how the container is launched. Using the PCSX2 container as starting point you can add Cemu if you find an Arch repository with binaries, or you could build it yourself. Using some Ubuntu container should be fine too, Arch is just my preference.

• Thank you as im not that impatient.

Maybe if i have some time i’ll try to add it my self through docker.

I’ve never done this before so if i get stuck i’ll bother you again:D

• escalade

were you able to reproduce the errors I am having in ES? Eagerly waiting for an updated version :D Keep up the good work!

Also, not sure if it's my end or not, but in "frontend.conf", I tried using both "emulationstation" and "es" but it would still start into Kodi. Seeing how I cant go back from ES to Kodi it was probably for the better and it could be my setup too I guess, but if you could look into that too maybe?

Feature request: is it possible to get something that Recalbox uses, a web interface for settings (anything from hostname to wifi settings are done there) and upload of roms/bioses etc, see below for an example:recalbox-web.png

Also, they boot into a modified version of ES where you press "X" on your gamepad to launch Kodi, very nifty. Just two ideas which you can send to /dev/null if it's too much work/not applicable.

Thank you in advance!

Edited once, last by slacker666 (December 26, 2019 at 6:35 PM).

• Waspoeder

I removed this and added the use of pasuspender in the latest build, so stopping Pulseaudio shouldn't be necessary anymore.

slacker666

Haven't had the time to look at it yet. Add "frontend=es" to the kernel command line in /flash/syslinux.cfg. Sorry, I don't see the use for a web interface. There's SSH and ttyd :)

• slacker666

Haven't had the time to look at it yet. Add "frontend=es" to the kernel command line in /flash/syslinux.cfg. Sorry, I don't see the use for a web interface. There's SSH and ttyd :)

Okay, patience is a virtue tho ;)

All right, so the storage/.config/frontend.conf is not in use? No worries, worth a shot and not that important.

• Hi,

I can confirm that HD passthrough in Kodi now works out of the box for me.

But, ES would not start (I see the sway background) and RA would hang as soon as I tried to start a ROM. 'strace' shows that the process is looping around a usleep(). After switching the audio driver from 'openal' to 'alsa' in RA, the ROM would start (I tried N64 games).

ES is mostly still stuck - I got it to start up once or twice....

Which one is the 'preferred' audio drive to use here ? Any other settings (other than the defaults) that are recommended ?

Sometimes, when I quit RA, Kodi gets started, but I only see a text console (not the actual Kodi screen), although Kodi is running and I can hear Kodi's GUI sounds when switching though the menus. May there's a race condition handing off/over the display ? I can not switch to the Kodi screen with ALT-F* or CTRL-ALT-F*.

Also, Firefox sometimes still freezes with those GPU hanging errors, I reported earlier. Looking in the kernel 5.5-rc3 diffs, it seems that there's active development going on. So, hopefully, this will be fixed soon.

I really like the combination of Kodi, ES/RA and Firefox.

Let me know if there is anything I can do to help debug or test.

Thx.