RetroELEC Kodi+Wayland+Emulationstation+RetroArch (x86/XU4/RPi)

• Hello guys!

It's that time of the year (yet again) when i'm thinking of gifting myself a GPU upgrade to Raspberry Pi.

This looks okay, but I could spend a bit more, for possibly a newer/better Intel/Amd inside. Something around 140$, cant afford more, and if i could I would put something small together myself.

I still like the hdmi-CEC, i NEED BT, could do without wi-fi, but, you know...

Any suggestion?

Thank you very much.

P.S.: And yes, if I would buy ara X5 back then, i wouldnt be asking you... again... /shrug

• Do yourself a favor and get something regular non-chinese hacked stuff. Beside the fact that the x5-Z8300 is incredible slow you never know what surprises these chinese UEFI or chipsets have onboard. If you can spend ~140$ I would try to get something like this:

ASRock > J4105-ITX

Intel® NUC Kit NUC7CJYH 126135

ODROID-H2 – ODROID

All of them should come with decent linux support & pretty all emulators should run at least playable. Maybe PCSX2 needs some more power but the ODROID H2 and so the J4105 can run Dolphin which is pretty nice.

• Nice. Odroid especially by first glance.

I'll check if i can get any of these through some firm close by.

Otherwise... only asrock seems accessible at the moment.

Thank you

Edited 3 times, last by jayfkay (November 30, 2018 at 11:19 PM).

• im looking at this one -> favicon_b.icoGB-BLCE-4105

But i dont know whats up with max. 8gb ram part (not that i plan on using more than that... currently)

Afaik Intel reduced the max ram size because of... reasons. My J3455-ITX supports 16GB of ram with two dimms so IMHO it's just an artifical limitation to make i3 stuff more interesting. But I wouldn't worry to much about it. RPi3s come with 1GB most S905 with 2GB and even RK3399 with 4GB so if you run this box with 8GB it's probably more than you'll ever need for some htpc & emulation stuff.

• although for odroid-h2 they claim support to 32gb with the same chip.

J4105-ITX also says 8gb.

Mistake at odroid?

J4105-ITX is basically the same(to me), but for the size... 4 i/o ports too many on the left... god...

Are there any amd based good smaller than itx boards?

• although for odroid-h2 they claim support to 32gb with the same chip.

J4105-ITX also says 8gb.

Mistake at odroid?

J4105-ITX is basically the same(to me), but for the size... 4 i/o ports too many on the left... god...

Are there any amd based good smaller than itx boards?

Well there are but way out of "your league"

The Sapphire FS-FP5V will be orderable direct. Pricing will vary depending upon choice of soldered processor: the AMD Ryzen Embedded V1202B model is the cheapest at $325, then the V1605B at $340, then the V1756B at $390, and finally the V1807B equipped board at $450. Shipments will begin later this month.

• Hi Escalade

Damn i was away for a year and in januari I will come back

But I see you aren't planning on a le9 rebase ?

Kodi is IMO perfect for emulators and tv shows,movies,live tv all on the same OS

That's to bad, need to find another solution then

But thanks for the good releases in the past m8

• Waspoeder

I've commited the last of my local work today and uploaded a "final" LE8 version (albeit for avx2 only at this time). Changes include gcc 8.3.0, glibc 2.29, mesa 19.0, linux 5.0 and updated versions of most of the emulation stuff. Except for still being Kodi 17, it's pretty up to date :) I only use Kodi for LE settings and launching Emulationstation these days, I still might look at rebasing on LE9 but it looks like 5schatten is doing a good job on that. Probably time to have a look at the status of Recalbox as well, looks like they have done a great deal of work on integration and polish.

• thanks for this last update, I will apply it. Is it possible to launch emulationstation at startup?

I don't use anymore kodi too !!! Just for playing, RecalBox sound cool but miss some features

My main use is Plex, xTeVe, PiHole (docker) running and emulationstation on demand, so your version is still welcome to do this

• My Atom based Tronsmart Ara x5 Plus got fried by lightning. So I fall back to my RPi3.

I tried to get image ‘LibreELEC-RPi2.arm-8.2-devel-20180218.img.gz’ working.

It boots fine and it all looks to work normal, but unfortunately I don’t get TVHeadend to work.

(also tried LibreELEC-RPi2.arm-8.2-devel-20171118.img.gz, same behavior)

With LibreELEC-RPi2.arm-8.2.5.img.gz TVH4.2 is working.

Is this a known issue? (I'm aware of the missing libs for the generic arch, that can be solved with simlinks)

And is Plex Media Server suppose to work on a RPi?

(attached logs just in case...)

Edited once, last by RomMon (February 20, 2020 at 11:33 PM).

• Ok, so I'm back (more or less). I have been working on adding support to LibreELEC for my new XU4. In the process I have rebased on master, trimmed, cleaned and optimized further. I don't have a need for Kodi anymore, so I will mostly maintain builds without it and I have rebranded to reflect this. It can easily be built though.

New builds have been uploaded for Generic (Intel only), RPi2 and XU3/4.

• Ok, so I'm back (more or less). I have been working on adding support to LibreELEC for my new XU4. In the process I have rebased on master, trimmed, cleaned and optimized further. I don't have a need for Kodi anymore, so I will mostly maintain builds without it and I have rebranded to reflect this. It can easily be built though.

New builds have been uploaded for Generic (Intel only), RPi2 and XU3/4.

Hi,

Thank you for this.

May i ask what emulators are in your generic (intel) build.

And is kodi in you generic build included?