"OS not found" after installation on old Lenovo

• I'm trying to install LibreELEC on an old Lenovo M72e SFF PC I had laying around. It's a 3rd gen Core i3, 12 GB RAM, 2TB HDD. I was able to install this on a similarly aged Dell for my dad so he could watch movies now that DVDs are no longer a thing and he has no internet, and that worked very well.

However, this Lenovo is being more of a challenge. I can get through the install process, but when I reboot I get an "OS not found" error. I don't see any errors in the log, but I also don't know what I'm looking for.

I have tried:

• Using the LibreElec tool to write the "Generic (AMD/Intel)" image to my USB drive
    • Using the LibreElec tool to write the "Generic Legacy (AMD/Intel)" image to my USB drive
    • Using Balena Etcher to do both of the above
    • Repeating all of the above on a different USB drive
    • Toggling UEFI/Legacy boot on the machine
      • Note: The USB drive will not boot in Legacy mode
    • Booting to a Debian Live USB and accessing the 2tb HDD, only to see it is blank.

Not sure if this machine is too old or if I'm missing something.

Attached is my log file from the last installation attempt using "Generic (AMD/Intel)" image via Balena Etcher on the 2nd USB drive I tried.

• Please check your attachment. I can't download the file.

Does Balena Etcher verification work for the written image?

Odd... it downloads and opens for me. Here it is in text:

• If the intention is to boot/run from a USB drive (not an internal drive)? - Write the LE image to the 2TB USB drive then boot from the drive but interrupt boot at the syslinux prompt and type 'run' to boot from the USB drive instead of booting into the installer which is used to install to another drive target. I can't explain why the normal installer approach isn't working (there are no errors in the log file you shared) but if the device is booting to the installer from a USB device, see if that continues?

• First a few notes of things that may confuse you:

a) The LE image is able to boot on UEFI and old legacy only systems. A "good" modern UEFI firmware refuse to boot such a disk in Compatibility Support Module (CSM) .

b) The installation was successful. When booting Debian the EFI System Partition (ESP) is suppressed and you only see the empty STORAGE partition.

c) LE installation on HD rely on auto booting "\EFI\BOOT\bootx64.efi" but according to the UEFI standard this is only optional.

For a fix see my old post.

Edit: Just noticed the notebook is a M72e. That is more worse, you have to follow the original tutorial.

PS: to create some pressure I'm announcing a matching installer PR.

• If the intention is to boot/run from a USB drive (not an internal drive)?

No, I'm installing to the 2tb internal hard drive.

a) The LE image is able to boot on UEFI and old legacy only systems. A "good" modern UEFI firmware refuse to boot such a disk in Compatibility Support Module (CSM) .

I have tried with CSM both enabled and disabled

b) The installation was successful. When booting Debian the EFI System Partition (ESP) is suppressed and you only see the empty STORAGE partition.

I did not know this. I'm also not used to the entire OS being stored in the EFI partition as it apparently is with LE...

Edit: Just noticed the notebook is a M72e. That is more worse, you have to follow the original tutorial.

Yes, the M72e is a turd LOL. They were sub-par when they were brand new (even for an i3). I got several of them for free when a client went out of business. I'll check out your tutorial and see what I can come up with.

• Boot Debian or Ubuntu in Live mode. Erase the drive and:

- Create a GPT partition 512MB in size with a VFAT or EXT4 filesystem labelled BOOT and enable it for boot

- Create a GPT partition with EXT4 filesystem that fills 100% remaining space

- Install Grub (not syslinux) to the internal drive and create a boot entry (crib the APPEND content from the LE installer usb).

- Copy KERNEL and SYSTEM to the BOOT partition

Shutdown Debian and see if it boots?

• I wound up ditching the M72e and grabbed an M83 that I also had. Aside from also being an i5, it's a bit newer and has a newer BIOS version available. I just swapped the HDD from the M72e over to the M83 and it booted right up. Much less effort than trying to get the M72e to work.

The goal of this machine is to have something that I can load all my media on and take it on vacation in the mountains where I will have limited internet. The last thing I want is to deal with a failure due to a crappy BIOS/UEFI when I am trying to relax and take my first vacation since before Covid.