Gamestarter: Retrogaming add-ons (RPi/Generic)

• One more question..Is there a way that I can output sound both on HDMI and headphone jack on RPi..At this moment I m using the audio_device = "hw:0,0" for hdmi and audio_device = "hw:0,1" to output from jack...but have to edit this each time to change audio....is there a way to output both at the same time like what Kodi does?

did you try by leaving empty that parameter? I never use pi's minijack so I rally don't know... by the way, you should be able to change between audio devices using retroarch settings menu.

• did you try by leaving empty that parameter? I never use pi's minijack so I rally don't know... by the way, you should be able to change between audio devices using retroarch settings menu.

Hi thanks...tried that...even changing setting to default alsa didnt work even on hdmi...it only works with hw:0,0..

• Hi all,

I’ve installed RetroArch via this repo, on an Intel NUC LibreElec installation. However, I’m running into a very curious problem in the XMB menu; when I start RetroArch, it seems to work, but no input devices seem to work. Nothing happens when I press keyboard buttons, nor when I press buttons on various controllers I tried. The controllers are correctly recognized in a yellow overlay text. The only thing that’s working is the mouse cursor, which is moving, but the mouse buttons are not working.

Any idea what’s wrong?

• Hi all,

I’ve installed RetroArch via this repo, on an Intel NUC LibreElec installation. However, I’m running into a very curious problem in the XMB menu; when I start RetroArch, it seems to work, but no input devices seem to work. Nothing happens when I press keyboard buttons, nor when I press buttons on various controllers I tried. The controllers are correctly recognized in a yellow overlay text. The only thing that’s working is the mouse cursor, which is moving, but the mouse buttons are not working.

Any idea what’s wrong?

Logs?

• Logs?

See below.

• See below.

I can not see anything strange, keyboard, mouse and gamepad are recognized:

1. [INFO] [udev] Adding device /dev/input/event2 as type ID_INPUT_KEYBOARD.
    2. [INFO] [udev] Adding device /dev/input/event4 as type ID_INPUT_MOUSE.
    3. [INFO] [udev] Adding device /dev/input/mouse1 as type ID_INPUT_MOUSE.
    4. [INFO] [udev] Adding device /dev/input/event3 as type ID_INPUT_MOUSE.
    5. [INFO] [udev] Adding device /dev/input/mouse0 as type ID_INPUT_MOUSE.
    6. [INFO] [Joypad]: Found joypad driver: "udev".

You can try deleting autoconfig folder in userdata addon folder. Also you can try using mouse to get into settings>input>player 1 bind> remap all buttons...

• I can not see anything strange, keyboard, mouse and gamepad are recognized:

You can try deleting autoconfig folder in userdata addon folder. Also you can try using mouse to get into settings>input>player 1 bind> remap all buttons...

I will try to delete the autoconfig folder. As for the mouse, only the cursor works. I can't click any menu option and there are no mouseover events or anything. It almost seems as if there is a transparent 'window/overlay', which has the focus over the retroarch program.

Could the error in line 51 have anything to do with it (the other errors only seem audio related)?

Code
    [ERROR] Failed to create rendering backend: freetype.
    Failed to open ^M: No such file or directory
  • I will try to delete the autoconfig folder. As for the mouse, only the cursor works. I can't click any menu option and there are no mouseover events or anything. It almost seems as if there is a transparent 'window/overlay', which has the focus over the retroarch program.

Could the error in line 51 have anything to do with it (the other errors only seem audio related)?

Code
    [ERROR] Failed to create rendering backend: freetype.
    Failed to open ^M: No such file or directory

No clue.

Did you try connecting just one item at a time? When in kodi both keyboard and gamepad work ok?

• Is there anyway to get this is pause kodi.bin instead of killing it? Ive just discovered that it turns off services including openvpn manager. Ive just loader retroarch and discovered that my vpn got switched off. $The other versions of retroarch on here for x64 used to pause the kodi.bin and im sure openvpn manager stiill ran.

• Is there anyway to get this is pause kodi.bin instead of killing it? Ive just discovered that it turns off services including openvpn manager. Ive just loader retroarch and discovered that my vpn got switched off. $The other versions of retroarch on here for x64 used to pause the kodi.bin and im sure openvpn manager stiill ran.

This addon works for both generic and pi, so pausing kodi instead of killing it will affect to Pis performance, that's the reason why this addon kills it. Some processes, like hyperion or vnc, are still running in background but maybe, as you say, other don't.

• First of all: thank you for your work!

After RETROARCH installation I was confronted with sped up gameplay/sound, i looked at the video settings and,

Weird issue here: my detected TV refresh rate is all over the place:

- when in 1080i, it sometimes varies wildly between ~30 and 70~hz,

- when in 720p, the fluctuations still vary, but not as wildly, still sometimes it is ~50hz after boot, sometimes ~60hz, still fluctuating by several%

- In Kodi all SEEMS normal

I am using a 2005 HD ready sony TV, and an intel J3355 board, hooked up via HDMI.

Any ideas? I cannot really find anything on this problem except 'switch to D3D' or 'check windows drivers' , which is not really helpful on a libreelec system....

• This addon works for both generic and pi, so pausing kodi instead of killing it will affect to Pis performance, that's the reason why this addon kills it. Some processes, like hyperion or vnc, are still running in background but maybe, as you say, other don't.

Processes started trough system.d are still running for me while on retroarch...actually it's one of the advantages of using Gamestarter to other dual boot options for retrogaming..did you try to edit openvpn.service?

• Hey guys, really hoping that someone can point me in the right direction.

Been trying to get this add-on working, but am having no joy.

Install Retroarch, then enter the config and select to install the full lakka cores package.

Enter Retroarch, scan rom folder and it correctly identifies the rom files, but if I try and start a game it goes to a black screen and then drops back to retroarch with the message "failed to load content".

I'm not really grasping the cores things. I understand that a core is an emulator for each console type, but if I install the lakka package, does that take care of loading all the cores automatically? I'm not sure I grasp the concept of the load core option. Do I have to load a core specific to a rom set before I attempt to play any of those roms or is it all automatically managed behind the scenes?

Is there a guide anywhere? I've watched a couple of youtube vids and theirs just seem to work out of the box.

For reference I tried retro pie previously and that worked without issue, but I had a problem where I couldn't get my TV remote working correctly in Kodi, so decided to try the Libreelec/Gamestarter route as I already use that and already know that the Libreelec side of things works perfectly.

I have a Rpi3 if it helps.

Thanks and appreciate your hard work.

• What roms are you trying?I only started few weeks ago but might help you...I just installed retroarch then from addon settings downloaded the core package.I run my roms from Kodi with AEL from gamestarter repo....I tryed Emulation Station too which is nice but I prefer AEL...It needs bit of setup to customise roms with artwork but once you get the hold of it it't not that hard..You can set what core to use with every emulator ...

They both use retroarch to launch the games..

Now if you r trying to launch roms directly with Retroarch you might get a choice of cores to use with that rom..the first time you launch that rom...then it should save that selection.......it's just a guess and not all cores shown will work with your rom..so if you chose the wrong core you ll have to change it....so you need to know what cores work with your roms and choose the proper one...If you r sure you are choosing the right core and game is not playing it might be that the rom version is not compatible with the core which happens mostly with Mame..

You can do it the other way round...first choose core then launch rom..

Anyways what roms are you trying to run?

Edited once, last by Mario77 (October 27, 2017 at 11:46 AM).

• Interesting that doing the same thing on 2 different platforms gives 2 different results. Loading the same core and rom on the OSX version of Retroarch works fine and the game loads as expected.

Start Retroarch, download the genesis_plus_gx core, scan the rom folder, run the game.

OSX works, RPi drops back to Retroarch with the failed to load content error.

Here's the debug log from the Pi;

Thanks.

• dojrude

Well you are using the proper core..unzip the rom and try again..

ok, so if I unzip the rom and run it from the load-content menu it works.

Retroarch on OSX runs from .zip files and the logs above indicate it can see the .md file inside the zipped rom file when I try to start it, so what's stopping it from running? Is it anything to do with paths and the location the rom is extracted to not being writable? Is there a config setting for .zip files that I need to enable in the RPi version of Retroarch?

Is anyone else able to use .zip files?

Thanks.