Gamestarter: Retrogaming add-ons (RPi/Generic)

• that worked perfect! thx
    I have another question I have like a 0.5 second delay when I click the button , until the game figurine is reacting to moving or jumping! can I lower the delay somewhere using snes!where is the retroarch.cfg located? maybe i ca change something there?.

Retroarch config file is located in /storage/.config/retroarch but I think you can not lower the input lag with any config file, but try it by yourself.

Still can't get my DS3 Controller to work.
    Made a fresh install of kodi and Gamestarter.
    Controller is recognized by Retroarch ( Playstation 3 Controller configured at Port 0 ) via BT.
    But I can't configure any Buttons. ( No Button press recognized )

It is so strange, because it should work out-of-the-box, just plug-and-play...
    Try with this libretro forums thread solution, or ask them over there:
    showthread.php?t=4629

• Retroarch config file is located in /storage/.config/retroarch but I think you can not lower the input lag with any config file, but try it by yourself.

It is so strange, because it should work out-of-the-box, just plug-and-play...
    Try with this libretro forums thread solution, or ask them over there:
    showthread.php?t=4629

I could not reduce the input lag! sadly! Will the N64 Emulation maybe better someday or is the rpi2 always to slow for it?

• Hi there.
    So i followed installation instructions/rebooted pi3/clicked on Gamestarter/said yes to reboot into retroarch... nadda happened.

Any advice on what i may be doing wrong?

Cheers
    Deez.

• Hi there.
    So i followed installation instructions/rebooted pi3/clicked on Gamestarter/said yes to reboot into retroarch... nadda happened.

Any advice on what i may be doing wrong?

Cheers
    Deez.

did you install from zip the correct release for your OS?
    After first gamestarter addon launch, did you get the "end of installation" notification? Next addon launch and retroarch does not run?
    Try to download the latest release for your OS again, and install it from zip one more time.
    Check if there are the folder /retroarch, /emulationstation and /advancedlauncher inside /storage/.config. Also check if there are /storage/emulators/bios, saves and roms folder.

If everything is in its place then you must debug using ssh:

Code
    systemctl stop kodi

then:

Code
    /storage/.kodi/addons/script.gamestarter/resources/bin/retroarch -c /storage/.config/retroarch/retroarch.cfg --menu

and see what happens...

• Hi there,

first of all: Many thanks for your efforts to reduce the need to swap SD cards on the RasPi. ;)

I am especially interested in running Amiga games from Kodi - which works so far, with two exceptions:

* Using uae4arm, everything works fine, games start as expected (after some finetuning). But: My controller (Saitek PLC Rumble Force Pad) is not recognized (correctly): I can sort of move the figure, but not with the pad, but with the shoulder pads and buttons 5-6 (or so). Seems like the mapping is not correct.

* Using libretro core, the mapping of the pad seems to be fine, but (besides the sound issue), I can only see (the left) half of the screen. It says retro 320x240, gfx 640x240 (or so), which seems reasonable seeing the result. Is there a way to change that?

Yesterday (it was late...), I somehow achieved the mapping in libretro to be correct (using RetroArch autoconfig?!?), but then, uae4arm did not start correctly (it hang after saying DispmanX 0 x 0 16 bpp)...

Did I overlook something? I would be glad if someone could help me fix those issues, whereas the sound issues whould be the minor one...

Thanks in advance,

tu

• Hi!
    Amiga emulation in Gamestarter is not as good as it could be, using UAE4ARM it works, with default settings (the emulator UI can not be open, but you can change manually gamestarter.uae) but joypads are not working so well. That why I included libretro core, but this core is totally experimental, it is not included in any retroarch distro (lakka, retropie, recalbox...) and it needs a lot of work from its creator to make it work flawlessly.

Using libretro core helps to use any gamepad and it has some configuration that can be changed from retroarch core menu, such as screen size, for me "640x256" worked ok.

good luck!

• only things you should backup are (it is not necesary because installation won't overwrite them, but just in case):
    - /storage/.config/advancedlauncher/launchers.xml -> if you added/edit advanced launchher game/emulator lists
    - /storage/.config/emulationstation/es_systems.xml -> if you added/edit emualtionstation game/emulator lists
    - /storage/.config/retroarch/retroarch.cfg -> If you edited some retroarch configurations

Also, if you want, you can make a SD image using UWB Image Tools, and in case something goes wrong you can restore your whole system...

please tell us your feedback after updating.

• Using libretro core helps to use any gamepad and it has some configuration that can be changed from retroarch core menu, such as screen size, for me "640x256" worked ok.

good luck!

Thanks for your answer. But I cannot find an option to change the screen size for the libretro core?! If I choose "Load core", there is only one amiga core (uae4arm) displayed; choosing that, I have no option to change the screen size?! I'm feeling somewhat stupid at this point. :(

Nevertheless, I got the libretro core working with changing the gamestarter.uae, replacing every 640 by 320 - this way, all seems to fit the screen. ;)

Another question: Does the libretro amiga core not (yet?) support save states, as it says when pressing F4, or do I need to create some more directories?

Yours,

tu

• New addon version release!
    Gamestarter v2.0.4 (changelog)

enjoy!

Great !

I have a Feature Request for version 2.0.5

In the Gamestarter "Config" can you add an option to select / browse the "ROM PATH" ?

I'm running out of room on my 32GB SD Card (mainly because of PS1 Roms) ... i would like to attach a USB HDD or Stream the Roms from my WD MyCloud

This would make it really easy for people to change the path (without having to mess about with .cgf files and paths editing)
    when they run out of room .. or simply want to store their Roms somewhere else.

Please

• Thanks for your answer. But I cannot find an option to change the screen size for the libretro core?! If I choose "Load core", there is only one amiga core (uae4arm) displayed; choosing that, I have no option to change the screen size?! I'm feeling somewhat stupid at this point. :(

Nevertheless, I got the libretro core working with changing the gamestarter.uae, replacing every 640 by 320 - this way, all seems to fit the screen. ;)

Another question: Does the libretro amiga core not (yet?) support save states, as it says when pressing F4, or do I need to create some more directories?

Yours,

tu

When playing an amiga game using libretro you can enter retroarch, then select core options, and over there you can find screen size option...

About savestates, as I said this core is totally experimental and its creator did not make any improve since its firts version, it would be nice to add savestates features.

any chance on making this work on multiple platforms

I just own a Raspberry Pi, so I can just test the addon in raspberry distros. It works in OpenELEC and LibreELEC and I tried to port it to OSMC but with no luck, also, for that distro there is an alternative to install retropie: RetrOSMC. Also I though about make it work in raspbian, but in that OS it so easy to install retropie too.
    For other systems, if anyone wants to make an addon port I will be very thankful.

It is actually so easy to achieve that, in fact, in my personal installation I have my roms, bios and saves folders in an external HDD.
    When playing a game enter retroarch menu (or launch it directly from kodi) then in settings menu search for the "directories" option, there you can set the folder you want for every retroarch stuff.