Gamestarter: Retrogaming add-ons (RPi/Generic)

• Nice walkaround! don't worry, if it is working for you, it is ok!

• Hi Guys,

just in case for anyone using libreelec milhouse build (kodi 18 testing).

I had to copy libass.so* from a prior #507 build to /.kodi/addons/script.gamestarter/lib/

otherwise i ended up with a missing shared lib error from retroarch.

build past #506 will use libass.so.9* libraries.

running happily on the 2.9 prerelase now :)

Cheers!

Int.

• Hi.

I have been using this addon for a little while and must say i have enjoyed it very much thank you.

now whats happened is i seem to have corrupt my sd card in my pi, so if i went to buy a new one.

ive reinstalled le8 latest version and setup like i always do, installed your addon v2.8 for le8 then this is where my problem starts.

when i first setup i launched first time then copied roms, rebooted, launched straight into retroarch to configure my controllers then i went ahead and installed emulationstation and themes no problem.

only this time it wont install emulationstation or thems. i click to install emulation station and it will just say installing for hours, if i press enter on keyboard (for ok) it will immediately tell me it is installed but it isnt.

ive been trying all day with no lock ive even reinstalled le8 but no luck.

Thanks

• hi just a update on this problem I'm having as I was having a few more tries last night.

I cannot actually download anything from within the gamestarter addon.

I have tried v2.8 and 2.9 and I've also tried le8.0.1 and 8.0.2 with none of them combinations working.

Any help would be very much appreciated

Thanks

• hi just a update on this problem I'm having as I was having a few more tries last night.

I cannot actually download anything from within the gamestarter addon.

I have tried v2.8 and 2.9 and I've also tried le8.0.1 and 8.0.2 with none of them combinations working.

Any help would be very much appreciated

Thanks

is there anything inside log files? it sounds like sometihng related with your internet connection or with onilne installation files (ES, themes, ports...)

• Thanks for you response very much appreciated.

which log files do I need to check.

I know the basics but I'm not a savvy lol.

My internet connection on the pi is fine it's wired straight to router and last night I was reinstalling all my other add-ons skins etc kept trying your add on every now and then but again still no luck.

Cheers

• Hi, is there available addon for LE 8 for x86 system?

thank you.

You can try with this zip, probably it won't work but if you can provide me your logs I can continue debugging:

script.gamestarter-GEN-20170622052700.zip

Thanks for you response very much appreciated.

which log files do I need to check.

I know the basics but I'm not a savvy lol.

My internet connection on the pi is fine it's wired straight to router and last night I was reinstalling all my other add-ons skins etc kept trying your add on every now and then but again still no luck.

Cheers

If you are using latest v2.9 pre-release version logs should be located in /storage/.kodi/temp

• strangely it all seems to work as of last night.

I did however reset my router and disabled a load of rubbish that bt enable as default to see if that was the problem.

Maybe it was I know the bt smart setup causes problems but I've always disabled that anyway.

Anyways thank you very much for your help and I can't start enjoying you brilliant add on again now :)

Rob

• Hi everyone,

To start off, thank you for all your hard work on this project.

I'm just getting started with LE and Gamestarter and struggling with a couple of things. I'm hoping you can help me.

Firstly, I cannot get the sound to work in retroarch. I'm using a 3,5 jack of an external USB sound card which with the internal sound deactivated. It works fine in Kodi and I only have one evice listed with aplay -L so I'm not sure why retroarch is not giving me sound.

Secondly I can't seem to get the SNES emulator to work. All the other emulators work but SNES always leads to a crash and a restart of Kodi.

I hope you can guide me to the right places, thanks for your help,

rien

• activate retroarch debug options from retroarch settings menu and then try to launch snes and take a look to log files at /storage/.kodi/temp

About sound issue, you can try changing device in retroarch settings.

• Hi idols,

thanks for your assistance. The gamestarter_retroarch.log doesn't say much to me:

Code
    RetroArch [ERROR] :: RetroArch is built for dynamic libretro cores, but libretr$
    RetroArch [ERROR] :: Fatal error received in: "init_libretro_sym()"
    RetroArch [ERROR] :: This core requires a content file.

Regarding the sound I've tried both choosing different devices in the settins as well as entering them directly into the config, I really have no idea any more why no sound is coming.

I hope you guys have more ideas, thanks and cheers,

rien

• are there only those 3 lines in that log? that's weird... By the way, what snes core are you trying to launch? are you trying to launch it within retroarch or using emulationstation, IARL or AEL?

• please, try launching retroarch, then select a SNES core and launch a rom. If this works is something related with IARL, maybe the core is trying to launch is not named as it should.

• please, try launching retroarch, then select a SNES core and launch a rom. If this works is something related with IARL, maybe the core is trying to launch is not named as it should.

OK, I got SNES to work with a ROM I found online and loaded directly from RetroArch. Thanks for replying to my basic questions. I'm not sure what's wrong with IARL, though...

I assume the sound problem could also not have to do with Gamestarter but I'm just out of ideas what to try. I've read all kind of wikis but did not have any luck getting a single sound of RetroArch. Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks and cheers,

rien

• OK, I got SNES to work with a ROM I found online and loaded directly from RetroArch. Thanks for replying to my basic questions. I'm not sure what's wrong with IARL, though...

I assume the sound problem could also not have to do with Gamestarter but I'm just out of ideas what to try. I've read all kind of wikis but did not have any luck getting a single sound of RetroArch. Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks and cheers,

rien

Gamestarter includes the following SNES cores (as you can see in github page):

Maybe, IARL is trying to launch a core using old name like "snes9x2005next" or similar... you need to ask @zackmorris

About sound, what is your output of "aplay -l"?

did you take a look to these github issues?