Gamestarter: Retrogaming add-ons (RPi/Generic)

• That did the trick !!
    It works so much better than with the Mupen64 core, I can play Banjo and Kazooie now lol
    And Mario Kart 64 is at full speed without any stuttering.

Thanks again ;)

• Hello,

i use the latest stable Libreelec which was updated from the latest Openelec. To try this add-on i installed it yesterday. After configuration i try to start it. After the question to leave kodi nothin happend and i still see kodi.
    What can i do?

Kind regards

hlluke

• Hello,

i use the latest stable Libreelec which was updated from the latest Openelec. To try this add-on i installed it yesterday. After configuration i try to start it. After the question to leave kodi nothin happend and i still see kodi.
    What can i do?

Kind regards

hlluke

I updated it yesterday so maybe you were installing it while I was making some changes, please download again the latest addon version for your OS and try again:
    script.gamestarter-v2.2-OLE.zip

• I updated it yesterday so maybe you were installing it while I was making some changes, please download again the latest addon version for your OS and try again:
    script.gamestarter-v2.2-OLE.zip

Might be a silly question, but how do I update your addon ?
    If I check in its parameters, it says there is an update available, but it doesn't update.
    And if I try to update it from the addons menu in Kodi settings it says there is no update available.
    Do I have to download V2.2 and install it on top of V2.1 ?

Thx.

• Might be a silly question, but how do I update your addon ?
    If I check in its parameters, it says there is an update available, but it doesn't update.
    And if I try to update it from the addons menu in Kodi settings it says there is no update available.
    Do I have to download V2.2 and install it on top of V2.1 ?

Thx.

It is a WIP feature, by now you can just check if there is a new version, then you must go to github page, download new one and install from zip. You will not lost your configs.

The solution for this is to include the addon in a repo...

• Ok thx that's what I thought, just needed a confirmation.
    Your add-on is really nice and polished, maybe the Libreelec team could add it in their repo if asked nicely ?

Edited once, last by NeB (September 3, 2016 at 8:37 AM).

• First of all, thank you very much for this addon, it's awesome Keep up the awesome work!

Secondly, I have a few questions. I'm running the latest LE Alpha build on a Raspberry Pi 3 and I installed EmulationStation from the Gamestarter settings menu. RetroArch works perfectly, but whenever I select EmulationStation as my default frontend and click to open Gamecenter, the screen goes blank and instead of opening EmulationStation, it just restarts Kodi. What do I need to do to make it work?

And for the second question, once you opened a game, like Super Mario Bros. for example, how do you go back to the RetroArch/EmulationStation menu on a generic controller? I don't have a PS3/PS4 or XBox controller, just one of those wired, generic ones, that don't have that PlayStation or XBox main menu/lobby button.

Thank you in advance
    [hr]

The solution for this is to include the addon in a repo...

Just an idea, but I saw that quite a few repos are hosted on GitHub. Maybe you can create your own repo that we can add in Kodi: HOW-TO:Create a repository for add-ons - Official Kodi Wiki | Add-on repositories - Official Kodi Wiki

Edited once, last by radupal (September 8, 2016 at 4:56 PM).

• First of all, thank you very much for this addon, it's awesome Keep up the awesome work!

Secondly, I have a few questions. I'm running the latest LE Alpha build on a Raspberry Pi 3 and I installed EmulationStation from the Gamestarter settings menu. RetroArch works perfectly, but whenever I select EmulationStation as my default frontend and click to open Gamecenter, the screen goes blank and instead of opening EmulationStation, it just restarts Kodi. What do I need to do to make it work?

And for the second question, once you opened a game, like Super Mario Bros. for example, how do you go back to the RetroArch/EmulationStation menu on a generic controller? I don't have a PS3/PS4 or XBox controller, just one of those wired, generic ones, that don't have that PlayStation or XBox main menu/lobby button.

Thank you in advance

About emulationstation... it is strange, in my installation with LE8 alpha 5 it works... please check the log here: /storage/.config/gamestarter.log

About the gamepad, try to config input buttons when launching retroarch directly, there you can assign a button as a "hotkey" and then others to make combinations for exit, save, load, change shaders, open menu...

• About emulationstation... it is strange, in my installation with LE8 alpha 5 it works... please check the log here: /storage/.config/gamestarter.log

About the gamepad, try to config input buttons when launching retroarch directly, there you can assign a button as a "hotkey" and then others to make combinations for exit, save, load, change shaders, open menu...

Got it with the controller, I'll try and see if I can come up with anything :)

As for the gamestarter.log, I just looked it up, through Samba and FTP and it's blank. 0 kb and nothing in it :(

• As for the gamestarter.log, I just looked it up, through Samba and FTP and it's blank. 0 kb and nothing in it

can you check if files are in its place?:
    - /storage/.kodi/addons/script.gamestarter/resources/bin/emulationstation
    - /storage/.kodi/addons/script.gamestarter/lib/libfreeimage.so.3
    - /storage/.kodi/addons/script.gamestarter/lib/libSDL2-2.0.so.0
    - /storage/.config/emulationstation/es_systems.cfg
    - /storage/.config/emulationstation/es_input.cfg

and try with ssh:

Code
    ldd /storage/.kodi/addons/script.gamestarter/resources/bin/emulationstation

finally you can launch it manually:
    stop kodi and enable alsa:

Code
    systemctl stop kodi
    modprobe snd_bcm2835

then launch it:

Code
    /storage/.kodi/addons/script.gamestarter/resources/bin/emulationstation

it is weird about gamestarter.log...

• Here is the output from the first command:

It seems that there's a dependency missing. How do I install it? Shouldn't it be installed automatically when installing EmulationStation?

• Here is the output from the first command:

It seems that there's a dependency missing. How do I install it? Shouldn't it be installed automatically when installing EmulationStation?

I see you have the hacklib (/storage/lib), maybe you installed gamemaker pi ports from Gamestarter settings? If so, they are no compatibles, you need to disable hacklib (toggling the addon) or manually renaming /storage/lib to /storage/lib_off for example.

• I see you have the hacklib (/storage/lib), maybe you installed gamemaker pi ports from Gamestarter settings? If so, they are no compatibles, you need to disable hacklib (toggling the addon) or manually renaming /storage/lib to /storage/lib_off for example.

Toggling the addon didn't work but renaming the folder worked :D Thank you so very much :D

Now one more question, since it's included in your addon (hope this isn't considered thread highjacking) but, how do you use the IARL add-on? Like, how can you play the games you download through it? And what about the Gamemaker Ports? How do you use those?

I appologize, I'm a bit of a noob at this in particular :(
    [hr]

I see you have the hacklib (/storage/lib), maybe you installed gamemaker pi ports from Gamestarter settings? If so, they are no compatibles, you need to disable hacklib (toggling the addon) or manually renaming /storage/lib to /storage/lib_off for example.

Toggling the addon didn't work but renaming the folder worked :D Thank you so very much :D

Now one more question, since it's included in your addon (hope this isn't considered thread highjacking) but, how do you use the IARL add-on? Like, how can you play the games you download through it? And what about the Gamemaker Ports? How do you use those?

I appologize, I'm a bit of a noob at this in particular :(

Edited once, last by radupal (September 8, 2016 at 5:42 PM).

• Toggling the addon didn't work but renaming the folder worked Thank you so very much

I appologize, I'm a bit of a noob at this in particular

IARL should work almost out-of-the-box... at least, last time I tried to make it work I get it easily, you can follow these steps:
    Home · zach-morris/plugin.program.iarl Wiki · GitHub

GameMaker Pi ports awew interesting just in case GameMaker decide to port more games, these three games are just a prove of concept and by the moment they are not going to make more conversions... I don't know wy but these three games lost their sound in Libreelec 7... so it is an obsolet feature... also, Maldita Castilla is coming to PS4 and it is already in XOne ...

• IARL should work almost out-of-the-box... at least, last time I tried to make it work I get it easily, you can follow these steps:
    Home · zach-morris/plugin.program.iarl Wiki · GitHub

GameMaker Pi ports awew interesting just in case GameMaker decide to port more games, these three games are just a prove of concept and by the moment they are not going to make more conversions... I don't know wy but these three games lost their sound in Libreelec 7... so it is an obsolet feature... also, Maldita Castilla is coming to PS4 and it is already in XOne ...

Thank you very much for the answers, you helped me a lot. I managed to find a way to exit the games with my gamepad and I managed to get EmulationStation working.

I'm going to look into the IARL add-on and see if it's a good idea to use it or just get roms from the web.

As I understand, EmulationStation is no longer actively maintained by it's author. Are you in any way maintaining the version downloadable through your add-on? Can we expect it to continue to be up to date and fully compatible with Gamestarter in the future? (It looks sooo much better than the default RetroArch frontend :) )

Edited once, last by radupal (September 9, 2016 at 11:16 AM).

• Thank you very much for the answers, you helped me a lot. I managed to find a way to exit the games with my gamepad and I managed to get EmulationStation working.

I'm going to look into the IARL add-on and see if it's a good idea to use it or just get roms from the web.

As I understand, EmulationStation is no longer actively maintained by it's author. Are you in any way maintaining the version downloadable through your add-on? Can we expect it to continue to be up to date and fully compatible with Gamestarter in the future? (It looks sooo much better than the default RetroArch frontend )

I am glad to hear thar!

About EmulationStation, I personally don't like it, I just included in Gamestarter because a lot of people likes that "Retropie" or "Recalbox" look... I think that using a frontend over another frontend is a nonsense but everybody likes it :D I am using emulationstation compiled by Escalade and as long as he continues compiling and making it compatible with libreelec, it will be included in Gamestarter.

I preffer using Advanced Emulator Launcher and browser all my roms collections within kodi as I do with movies and tv shows:

• radupal

EmulationStation was forked, and it's that version I am using and which is included in this addon. There hasn't been any commits since july though, so it looks like that project has become inactive as well. RetroPie and Recalbox are both patching up the old one and adding new features though, so there will surely be updates further along the line.

bite_your_idols

Emulationstation is a simple launcher and RetroArch is not being used as a frontend when using it. It functions the same way as when you are using Advanced Launcher, so actually what you are saying is nonsense ;)