Gamestarter: Retrogaming add-ons (RPi/Generic)

• Just an idea, but I saw that quite a few repos are hosted on GitHub. Maybe you can create your own repo that we can add in Kodi: HOW-TO:Create a repository for add-ons - Official Kodi Wiki | Add-on repositories - Official Kodi Wiki

yes, it is the only alternative I can see right now, I think Team LIbreELEC is not going to add my addon to official repo...

Hi, fisrt of all, thanks for that incredible addon.

I'm doing overclock in mi rpi2 with libreelec for a smooth play with n64 and psp roms in gamerstarter. This is my config.txt

9ZKZZabQ

I don't sure is correct, any suggestion or change that I must do? It's the first time I do overclock in rpi.

With it, I can play good to n64 and psp, with some issue of sound, but withouth problem.

are you useing heatsinks or a fan? I am thinking about give my pi2 a little overclock...

Emulationstation is a simple launcher and RetroArch is not being used as a frontend when using it. It functions the same way as when you are using Advanced Launcher, so actually what you are saying is nonsense

I know that... If I want to quick browse/change/load/test games I always use retroarch because it is the quickest and directest way, but I have to choose another, pretiest way of disply my entire collection I preffer to have it integrated in kodi, and by now the only way is AdvancedLauncher or the newest Advanced Emulator Launcher, in the future maybe it can be achieved with retroplayer...

• I'm not talking about your preference, but your statement that using ES is nonsense compared to a Kodi launcher, as it functions the same. Actually using ES to launch games is faster depending on if you stop Kodi first or not ☺️

• I'm not talking about your preference, but your statement that using ES is nonsense compared to a Kodi launcher, as it functions the same. Actually using ES to launch games is faster depending on if you stop Kodi first or not ☺️

I think (and said) using a frontend over a frontend is quite nonsense talking about retropie and recalbox distros XD most of people using them does not distinguish between a frontend, a core, an emulator... They don't know why they config their buttons on startup and when launching a rom buttons don't work anymore... XD

Since I am using kodi I like the idea of getting all my collections in the same place, films, tv shows, music, games...

• Hi,

At me the UAE4ARM installation doesn't work. It's nothing installed. I had to copy the files by hand. But it doesn't run.

Please could you check this?

Also the uae4arm-libretro core seems not up to date. In retroarch it's shown version 0.0.1

On github there exists 0.4

uae4arm-libretro/README.md at master · r-type/uae4arm-libretro · GitHub

Could you please update your core?

I'd writen some files to start CD32 games from Gamestarter but the libretro core seems not to support the CD32 kickstarts

• This would be a great step forward for Amiga emulation in RetroArch! Because it's very easy to handle multidisk games, especially games, that only support disks in DF0.

I'll hope, that this core will come to Gamestarter and officially in RetroArch.

• I would't say it's handled very well in FS-UAE as there is no file browser and you need to specify the disks in a config file. I don't know if multidisk is handled differently in this core, I'm just guessing that it is plain FS-UAE with video and input handling done by libretro.

• Also the uae4arm-libretro core seems not up to date. In retroarch it's shown version 0.0.1

On github there exists 0.4

uae4arm-libretro/README.md at master · r-type/uae4arm-libretro · GitHub

Could you please update your core?

the 0.4 you see is the latest version of the UAE4ARM emulator when libretro core forked it... I have compiled today and it is still in v0.1 and no visible or sound improvement I noticed...

Someone started porting FS-UAE to libretro. Quite exciting as it's the de-facto Amiga emulator on Linux. Looks like there's ARM support as well, although I don't know if it will run as well as uae4arm.

maybe we are going to be lucky and the developer does not abandon the project as happened with uae4arm core... :D

• I hope so...

The last changes are only a few days old ... and have fixed sound issues :)
    [hr]
    How ever...

I wait for a core, that supports ZIP archives as hardfiles. In this case the ability to use of WHDLoad games is so easy as in FS-UAE.

At this time I work on config files to implement this in Gamestarter.

Edited once, last by nexusle (September 13, 2016 at 10:09 PM).

• Is there a ability to quite uae4arm with a joystick key command to go back to Kodi?

I had to restart my Raspi or SSH to it and kill uae4arm...

you need a keyboard... thats why I preffer libretro core even with its sound issues...

Gamestarter v2.4 with addon updater from settings!!!

:D

• Yes. The Sound is the biggest problem :-/

I'd finished the WHDLoad support. I will provide all informations here soon ;)
    [hr]
    WHDLoad Description

First:

In this solution the "ROM" files are different ".uae" files. So each game have it's own .uae config file. But don't be angry, the .uae file is most the same for all games. Only the path for the second harddrive is different.
    For this Description we use the game "Turrican".

What you need:

• a first harddrive (folder) with AmigaOS 3.1 some system files placed in /storage/emulators/bios
    • a second harddrive (folder) with WHDLoad game files stored in /storage/emulators/roms/amiga_whdload
    • kickstart files in devs:kickstarts (for some AGA games, if you want to use)
    • WHDLoad game Turrican

How to install:

To prepare the System drive copy the following files to a folder (i.e. "WHDLoad_System") in /storage/emulators/bios:

C (dir)
    Execute
    List
    SetPatch
    WHDLoad

S (dir)
    startup-sequence

Devs (dir)
    Kickstarts
    kick40068.A1200

Edit your startup-sequence before like this:

Code
    C:SetPatch QUIET

cd DH1:
    LIST "dh1:#?.slave" to RAM:Slave.txt LFORMAT "C:WHDLoad %s"
    execute RAM:Slave.txt

This will create this batch command:

Code
    C:WHDLoad Turrican.slave

Now copy the files from the install folder of your WHDLoad game Turrican to a folder in /storage/emulators/roms/amiga_whdload/Turrican.

Now let's edit a text file for the configuration of UAE (uae4arm or libretro core) for Turrican:

I have merked some lines red. These lines are essentially for a working solution. Yes, we emulate a A1200 (generally) because some games run faster with this config. For all other games, only the first "filesystem2=" line must be changed. All other settings are the same for each game.

Save this file as "Turrican.uae" and copy it to /storage/emulators/roms/amiga_whdload. It makes sense to name the .uae file exact as the folder for the game.

Now you have finished the prerequistes for my solution of WHDLoad games inside Gamestarter.

Now we must setup Gamestarter (and Advanced Emulation Launcher).

What we need:

• gamestarter_whdload.sh in /storage/.kodi/addons/script.gamestarter/resources/bin
    • gamestarter_whdload.start in /storage/.kodi/addons/script.gamestarter/resources/bin

Content of gamestarter_whdload.sh

Bash
    #!/bin/sh
    . /etc/profile

DIR="/storage/.kodi/addons/script.gamestarter"

systemd-run $DIR/resources/bin/gamestarter_whdload.start "$@" &> /storage/.config/gamestarter.log

Content of gamestarter_whdload.start

The significant changes I made on bite_your_idols original files are the "$2". Search for it, I cant mark things red in code. Some other changes I did only for testing. They maybe don't needed.

Al least we have to modify the categories.xml of Advanced Emulator Launcher in /storage/.kodi/userdata/addon_data/plugin.program.advanced.emulator.launcher

First create a new Game Launcher in Advanced Emulator Launcher in Kodi to get an ID.
    Second open the categories.xml in an editor and search for the newly created entry. I like to post my own entry to show the changes:

The other settings I've copied from Gamestarters Amiga entries.

Now you can scan for new ROMs in Kodi and you should see all your configured WHDLoad games.

Have fun...

EDIT: Note: the game config name should not have spaces!

Edited once, last by nexusle (September 14, 2016 at 11:06 PM).

• Hi guys,
    First let me congratulate this initiative, great community work.
    Any change to get this running on a generic x86 64bit machine ? (I have an Asus Chromebox Celeron)
    Looking forward to an LibreELEC running my rom collection.

Thank you.