Gamestarter: Retrogaming add-ons (RPi/Generic)

• Hello. I have been stuck on the old green text based Main Menu of RetroArch for a day now. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the gamestarter add-on but that did not retore the old settings. I can navigate the menus with a usb keyboard only, and even then I am unable to launch (or even locate) any of my roms. I cannot figure out what happened to the XMB gui.

This started yesterday while trying to use new gamepads. I got a quick message about there being no core loaded, and then the system froze and had to be rebooted via SSH. I can get to retroarch through Emulation Station, where I was able to set up the usb gamepads, but that's not my usual way to play so I'm a little puzzled.

I'm using a Raspberry Pi 3 running Libreelec 7.0.2, and was trying to install a Matricom G-Pad BX and two generic usb Nintendo stye game pads. I have located the log files, but I don't know which one will have any information about whatever I've done to my system.

Any help will be appreciated.

• bite_your_idols

ResidualVM is not a libretro core, it's standalone emulator based on ScummVM. Both Grim Fandango and Monkey Island 4 should be completeable. Works great from my testing on Generic. I've packaged it so feel free to grab whatever you need.

You should also take a look at glupen64, it's a new libretro core that aims to follow upstream mupen64. Runs very smoothly on my RPi3, much better than mupen64plus.

• Hi !!

First, thanks for this wonderful addon.
    I'm the proud owner of a self made arcade cabinet, running with Recalbox, but being able to run old games on my main TV too, and directly from Kodi, is really a must !!

bite_your_idols, any chance to replace the mupen64plus-libretro core with the actual mupen64plus emulator ?

That's how it is in recalbox, and performances are really much better (for example Mario Kart 64 runs like a charm with no stuttering at all, even in menus and startscreen).
    Retropie recommends it too : Nintendo 64 · RetroPie/RetroPie-Setup Wiki · GitHub

I can test anything if needed, I can also try and do it myself if you point me to the right direction (not sure where to put config files and so on...)
    Thx !!

About nintendo 64, I want to try the new core as escalade said:

bite_your_idols

ResidualVM is not a libretro core, it's standalone emulator based on ScummVM. Both Grim Fandango and Monkey Island 4 should be completeable. Works great from my testing on Generic. I've packaged it so feel free to grab whatever you need.

You should also take a look at glupen64, it's a new libretro core that aims to follow upstream mupen64. Runs very smoothly on my RPi3, much better than mupen64plus.

I have read about this new core in retropie's latest release post and I want to test it... I will grab it from your build. Thanks!

Hello. I have been stuck on the old green text based Main Menu of RetroArch for a day now. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the gamestarter add-on but that did not retore the old settings. I can navigate the menus with a usb keyboard only, and even then I am unable to launch (or even locate) any of my roms. I cannot figure out what happened to the XMB gui.

This started yesterday while trying to use new gamepads. I got a quick message about there being no core loaded, and then the system froze and had to be rebooted via SSH. I can get to retroarch through Emulation Station, where I was able to set up the usb gamepads, but that's not my usual way to play so I'm a little puzzled.

I'm using a Raspberry Pi 3 running Libreelec 7.0.2, and was trying to install a Matricom G-Pad BX and two generic usb Nintendo stye game pads. I have located the log files, but I don't know which one will have any information about whatever I've done to my system.

Any help will be appreciated.

It is weird... try deleting or renaming retroarch.cfg in /storage/.config/retroarch in order to auto-create a new one... maybe the file is corrupt...

• It is weird... try deleting or renaming retroarch.cfg in /storage/.config/retroarch in order to auto-create a new one... maybe the file is corrupt...

Thanks. I deleted all of the retroarch.cfg files and renamed the retroarch_gamestarter.cfg to retroarch.cfg and that worked.

• Hi,

i have some questions about this add-on. Currently i have a RP3 with the latest stable libreelec v7.0.2. I updated this from the last stable openelec. We use the system for movies and series and now my wife and i decided to add the support for retro gaming to the system.
    The libreelec is installed on a 16GB sd-card.
    I found this gamepad on amazon, is it working?

CSL – USB Wireless Gamepad für PC inkl.: Amazon.de: Elektronik

What is better for movies and gaming, libreelec with this add-on or wait for recalbox 4.1 (the latest stable has no working bluetooth for the RP3)?
    How difficult is the installation and getting everything working?
    Which gaming system are included (SNES, Playstation 1, Gameboy...)

Kind regards

hlluke

Edited once, last by hlluke (August 29, 2016 at 9:28 AM).

• It's hard to say what could be better for you between Recalbox and Libreelec + Gamestarter.
    It really depends on what you use the most.
    If it's watching movies and TVShows, you'd better go with Libreelec + Gamestarter.
    Otherwise, go with Recalbox.

I have 2 Pi3 at home, one with Recalbox in an arcade cabinet, and one with Libreelec hooked to the TV.
    I can watch Movies and play retrogames on both, but to be honest I believe in your special case Libreelec + Gamestarter might be the best choice.
    Recalbox is really useful to play games and build an arcade cabinet as I did, but its kodi implementation is not the best...I would say it's designed for gaming, and the plus is that you can watch movies with it.

On the other side, Libreelec + Gamestarter works like a charm but you need to go through Kodi to access your games.
    So as I said above, it really depends on what you do the most but I would recommend you Libreelec + Gamestarter.

Installation is really easy, get the zip, put it on your SD card, then install from Kodi's system menu.
    Then launch Gamestarter and configure it (to choose between Retroarch or EmulationStation as frontend).
    When it's done, you'll find a new folder called emulators in /storage, and in this folder you'll find some folders including the roms and the bios ones.
    In the roms folder, you'll find folders for all the supported systems, just put your roms in these folders and you're good to go.
    Really simple to setup.

supported systems are the following :
    amiga
    atari2600
    atarilynx
    atarist
    gamegear
    gb
    gba
    mame
    mastersystem
    megadrive
    msx
    n64
    neogeo
    nes
    pcengine
    ports
    psp
    psx
    snes
    videopac
    zxspectrum

;)

Edited once, last by NeB (August 29, 2016 at 7:05 PM).

• Hi, fisrt of all, thanks for that incredible addon.

I'm doing overclock in mi rpi2 with libreelec for a smooth play with n64 and psp roms in gamerstarter. This is my config.txt

9ZKZZabQ

I don't sure is correct, any suggestion or change that I must do? It's the first time I do overclock in rpi.

With it, I can play good to n64 and psp, with some issue of sound, but withouth problem.

Edited once, last by rig3l (August 30, 2016 at 5:49 PM).

• You have 99% of chances they work with recalbox, and if not get to the Recalbox IRC channel and you'll find help to make them compatible (just some commands to run in SSH and a file to edit).
    Now for Gamestarter, all I can say is try and see ^^

• Any news on that?

I made some tests with escalade's build core and it seems to work much better than previous n64 core.
    In OpenELEC 6 (my personal installation) I needed some extra libraries to make it work, it is strange, I found them and it works.

If you want you can try the core in LibreELEC in order to know if those libraries are also needed. I included core in my package, you can download and extract it, copy into /storage/.config/retroarch/cores/ then run retroarch and select content/core. If it does not work check gamestarter.log

here is the cores package including glupen64:
    libretro-part2.tar.gz

• Hm, I think there was some kind of misunderstanding. I was requesting the "ResidualVM" core, and after escalade's comment earlier I thought you're giving this core a try, not the n64 stuff...
    Any chances you could pick escalade's compiled core and test it?

• Hm, I think there was some kind of misunderstanding. I was requesting the "ResidualVM" core, and after escalade's comment earlier I thought you're giving this core a try, not the n64 stuff...
    Any chances you could pick escalade's compiled core and test it?

As escalade said: "ResidualVM is not a libretro core, it's standalone emulator based on ScummVM." So I have no intention of incluiding that, because I preffer libretro cores based emulators in order to have simple configurations, easy launchers, compatibility... sorry... Anyways, you can test by yourself, just burn escalades build, grab the binaries and paste in your own installation... or much better, use escalades build as your own installation, it is awesome!

• I made some tests with escalade's build core and it seems to work much better than previous n64 core.
    In OpenELEC 6 (my personal installation) I needed some extra libraries to make it work, it is strange, I found them and it works.

If you want you can try the core in LibreELEC in order to know if those libraries are also needed. I included core in my package, you can download and extract it, copy into /storage/.config/retroarch/cores/ then run retroarch and select content/core. If it does not work check gamestarter.log

here is the cores package including glupen64:
    libretro-part2.tar.gz

I've tried this, and it looks like libraries are needed in Libreelec too.
    Every time I try to load the core in Retroarch, it doesn't load, I'm brought back to the Retroarch menu and the message displayed at the bottom of screen is " no core loaded"...
    Maybe I didn't do well, because I'm usually an EmulationStation user as frontend and this time I launched Retroarch from the Advanced Launcher addon.
    Also, I couldn't find where is stored the gamestarter.log

Do you plan on updating your addon with this core instead of the Mupen64 one ?
    That would be nice !!
    Thanks.

• I've tried this, and it looks like libraries are needed in Libreelec too.
    Every time I try to load the core in Retroarch, it doesn't load, I'm brought back to the Retroarch menu and the message displayed at the bottom of screen is " no core loaded"...
    Maybe I didn't do well, because I'm usually an EmulationStation user as frontend and this time I launched Retroarch from the Advanced Launcher addon.
    Also, I couldn't find where is stored the gamestarter.log

Do you plan on updating your addon with this core instead of the Mupen64 one ?
    That would be nice !!
    Thanks.

Yeah, i will replace mupen64 with glupen as n64 default core in upcoming releases... in the meanwhile you can make it work, placing into /storage/.kodi/addons/script.gamestarter/lib/ the following libs:
    libbrcmEGL.so
    libbrcmGLESv2.so

Once you confirm it is working you can edit /storage/.config/emulationstation/es_systems.cfg and replace "mupen64plus" with "glupen64"