hauppauge wintv-dual hd - only see one tuner

• well edit4ever it looks like you were right. I moved the Pi3 to my bedroom that has main cable feed into the house into, i also removed the usb extension cable and plugged the tuner directly into the pi. last night watched about 2 hours of a HD channel with no problems. Thanks for the support and suggestions.

I have now sorted my channel list including numbering and tags as well, next i'm on t the epg using your addon, which i foolishly tried to run on a windows machine last night as the Pi was in with a sleeping wife.

on a side note how do i back up my setting so that when i eventually mess it up again (which i will) I don't have to spend hours on the scanning / channel sort?

thanks again

• The next release (likely coming later today) will include a backup/import function for the tvheadend user data. This way you can recreat your system easily after a clean LE install - or you can copy it to multiple systems! :)

Glad to hear you're up and running!!

My epg addon will run on windows - but it needs to run on the system that has the tvh install in it! As an FYI - you can install the tvh2kodi addon on any system as it can look at the tvheadend service over the network.

• The next release (likely coming later today) will include a backup/import function for the tvheadend user data. This way you can recreat your system easily after a clean LE install - or you can copy it to multiple systems! :)

Glad to hear you're up and running!!

My epg addon will run on windows - but it needs to run on the system that has the tvh install in it! As an FYI - you can install the tvh2kodi addon on any system as it can look at the tvheadend service over the network.

Wow, I will really like the backup function, I am constantly redoing my boxes firmware's. I haven't been able to get your app working on my Kodi 18 test machine, but will wait until Kodi 18 has more development before I ask for your help.

• Ha ha edit4ever you are like my tvheadend guardian angel. look forward to your release and the ability to know that i have safely backed up my settings for when i bork it again.

I am going to attempt to get some IPTV channels in at some point so that will be where the backup of settings will come in really useful.

• The latest patch add hauppauge patch · CvH/LibreELEC.tv@6f53d92 · GitHub will solve the dual tuner problem on ATSC and DVB-C/T/T2. Any solution on the ATSC will fix problems on the DVB-C/T/T2 and visa versa. A Hauppauge engineer is evaluating this patch and will work on it to submit it to the mainline of a future Linux kernel

I just got a Raspberry Pi 3, and trying to get the dual tuner (model 15950 to work with ATSC).

There are a lot of references to retrieving patches, but It's not clear to me how to pull down the patch files.

I am far more familiar with svn than git, though I have tried various git commands to get the desired patch files, and also looked at the web page links (like clicking on the patch link above). Also, after I figure how to get the patch files, can they all sit in the same directory I make for holding them (them patch files). Thanks. (I have compiled kernels before, though as Linux has become so much more friendly, and there is so much module support, I have not done so for a while).

• On page 6 (sorry can't get link on my mobile) I posted an LE 8 build with the patches. Also...there's an 8.2 test build...but if you want reliability I'd start with the 8.

If you look at Cvh's git repo, you can see the folder with the patches.

• OK, thank you! I did finally get this to work using your img from the dropbox (post #100).

I used the linux dd method to write the image to the SD flash card. I wanted to do it with noobs, by copying to the /os directory, but I did not seem to be getting that correct.

I could not find the tvh2kodi via the add on repositories (should have I been able to find that?). I found a zip file online at github (with your ID) and loaded it via ssh login from another machine.

I only so far activated one tuner, but I do see both available. The TV viewing works great. I see some tv guide information, but still not sure if that is coming from OTA or internet. The plots do not seem to show up for some reason, only titles.

Recording says started, but then immediately says completed, but I guess that is another issue all together.

I think I would still like to learn how to compile this. I was stuck on how to pick up the patch files. I could see them with git hub, but was not clear how to retrieve them (not the entire distribution which is easy to do).

Thanks for a sense of accomplishment. Most certainly faster than compiling. Will continue trying to figure out the rest of this.

• Glad to hear it's working! I haven't added tvh2kodi to the repo yet as it is still going through some rapid changes and testing. Probably will submit that when LE 8.2 is released.

Depedning on where you live - the data you are seeing in the guide is from the OTA signal. A lot of stations do not provide good data with that - so most people use internet data. In my signature below you will see links to my zap2xml and sd4tvh addons that can pull epg data from the internet. Zap2xml is gathered from the zap2it website (you'll need to create an account there) - sd4tvh is epg data from schedules direct. It's the best data there is, but you will need to pay $25/yr for it. (about $2 a month for really good data - with picons and logos!)

If you want to compile your own version - it is included in cvh's master repo - so you could build off of that. Or if your putting together your own repo (with parts from different places) - just use svn to pull the media_build/sources directory and then copy over the linux-220-hauppauge... patch:

Code
    svn https://github.com/CvH/LibreELEC.tv/trunk/master/packages/linux-drivers/media_build/sources/backports

Then add the line below to your media_build/patches/media_build-02-add-to-backports.patch file:

Code
    +add linux-220-hauppauge_dualhd_second_tuner_support.patch

Finally - if you want to work off the main LE repo for your builds...the patch is included in branches 8.2 as well as master.

And if you want to live cutting edge alpha software without compiling yourself - just download the milhouse builds from LibreELEC Testbuilds for RaspberryPi (Kodi 18.0)

Have fun!

• FYI - Milhouse builds for RPi2/3 after #0727 the Hauppauge WinTV-Deual is only showing a single tuner.

This may be due to changes in the kernel?? Haven't checked to see if the patch was modified - but thought I would give a heads up as I know this was going to be included in the 8.2 release.

• Just got caught up on that discussion - thanks for clarifying. For anyone else testing the Milhouse LE 9 builds - if you want the dual tuner support, just go into LibreELEC settings > System and at the bottom enable the CrazyCat DVB drivers and reboot. :)

• I just got a Raspberry Pi 3, and trying to get the dual tuner (model 15950 to work with ATSC).

There are a lot of references to retrieving patches, but It's not clear to me how to pull down the patch files.

I am far more familiar with svn than git, though I have tried various git commands to get the desired patch files, and also looked at the web page links (like clicking on the patch link above). Also, after I figure how to get the patch files, can they all sit in the same directory I make for holding them (them patch files). Thanks. (I have compiled kernels before, though as Linux has become so much more friendly, and there is so much module support, I have not done so for a while).

Try the following:

Code
    wget https://raw.githubusercontent.com/b-rad-NDi/Ubuntu-media-tree-kernel-builder/master/patches/ubuntu-zesty-4.10.0/extra/0001-em28xx-Hauppauge-DualHD-DVB-ATSC-second-tuner-suppor.patch

Edit the 0001-em28xx-Hauppauge-DualHD-DVB-ATSC-second-tuner-suppor.patch file

Remove this from the top of the file:

Code
    From a4bb762c6f1a975387099f224510116f85d5bd97 Mon Sep 17 00:00:00 2001
    Date: Sun, 16 Apr 2017 00:13:39 -0500
    Subject: [PATCH 1/5] em28xx: Hauppauge DualHD DVB/ATSC second tuner support

--- drivers/media/usb/em28xx/em28xx-cards.c | 123 +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++- drivers/media/usb/em28xx/em28xx-core.c  |  47 +++++++++--- drivers/media/usb/em28xx/em28xx-dvb.c   |  28 ++++++-- drivers/media/usb/em28xx/em28xx.h       |  12 ++++ 4 files changed, 192 insertions(+), 18 deletions(-)

Remove this from the bottom of file:

Code

Save the 0001-em28xx-Hauppauge-DualHD-DVB-ATSC-second-tuner-suppor.patch file

If you still cannot get the patch working, go to Ubuntu-media-tree-kernel-builder/patches/ubuntu-zesty-4.10.0/extra at master · b-rad-NDi/Ubuntu-media-tree-kernel-builder · GitHub

Click on 0001-em28xx-Hauppauge-DualHD-DVB-ATSC-second-tuner-suppor.patch

Click on Raw

You should be now at 0001-em28xx-Hauppauge-DualHD-DVB-ATSC-second-tuner-suppor.patch

Copy everything from

Diff
    diff --git a/drivers/media/usb/em28xx/em28xx-cards.c b/drivers/media/usb/em28xx/em28xx-cards.c
    index a12b599a1fa2..df0e080bd08e 100644
    --- a/drivers/media/usb/em28xx/em28xx-cards.c
    +++ b/drivers/media/usb/em28xx/em28xx-cards.c

to

Code
    +
    +    struct em28xx    *dev_next;
    +    int ts; };  #define kref_to_dev(d) container_of(d, struct em28xx, ref)

and paste into 0001-em28xx-Hauppauge-DualHD-DVB-ATSC-second-tuner-suppor.patch. These steps should work.

• Thanks for replies leading_edjge and edit4ever! So far, build I tried from post 100 (edit4ever) seems pretty stable (I actually did not apply the "updates" , though I did some updates on-line via interface. I understand now that the updates directory is for manual updates. I ran into a little trouble after trying to create a profile on the tvheadon web page. tvh2kodi had some trouble configuring the default profile. Deleting my new profile seemed to solve everything. The tvh2kodi seem like a great way to interface with tvheadon.

The epg OTA data is interesting. All channels have the main titles of the programming. Only some channels get the plot/description and seem very stable. I know some that are missing do exist for the channel, but they don't appear.

But later I noticed some of the channels that seem not to have the description/plot, actually do! If I scroll around, sometimes I see it appear in a quick flash on the screen, but it immediately disappears again less than a second later. Sometimes flashes once then stays missing, or flashes on and off, but is 90% off (not there). So I know it was there. Curious.

• Finally - if you want to work off the main LE repo for your builds...the patch is included in branches 8.2 as well as master.

And if you want to live cutting edge alpha software without compiling yourself - just download the milhouse builds from LibreELEC Testbuilds for RaspberryPi (Kodi 18.0)

I did this using the update folder method. First was your img from post 100, then this update. Somewhat worked, but I saw several dependency issues, and videos also would not play.

I don't think I can apply the Milhouse builds as an update to your post 100?, they seem to want a "working system" before updating. If I get an official one (no building myself), will the patch be in the kernel?

• If you want to run the Milhouse alpha builds - you can install the standard 8.0.2 release - then use the instructions on the Milhouse builds post to upgrade to his latest build. Those build have moved away from including the media_build drivers - but you can enable them in the LibreELEC settings.

Once you do that and reboot you will have the driver for the dual tuners.

• If you want to run the Milhouse alpha builds - you can install the standard 8.0.2 release - then use the instructions on the Milhouse builds post to upgrade to his latest build. Those build have moved away from including the media_build drivers - but you can enable them in the LibreELEC settings.

Once you do that and reboot you will have the driver for the dual tuners.

Thank you, still trying to debug. I could not use the "install from zip file (add-ons->installfromzip) " for tvh2kodi, but could do it if I used the search addons (addons->search), then just exit, and use resulting menu for "install from zip file" (I guess that is the add-on browser menu. So I got the tvh2kodi in there.

I think the problem I am having now is the TVheadon HTSP Client, when updating says "the dependency on xbmc codec version 1.01 could not be satisfied"