TVHeadEnd Setup Quick Start - Testers Needed

• I will install Kodi v21 on a test machine and see if the script fails.

I managed to get the script to run successfully on Kodi v21-RC1 in Ubuntu (not LE or CE) without error. I had to fudge some of the addon validations, however, those sections have no impact on how the script actually operates.

• Lucky I read your latest post before I set up a fresh install of LE. Unfortunately I can’t be of much help to you testing your addon as I’m strictly DVBS. I think you may be limiting your addon if you decide to go DVBT only. Certainly in the European region which has quite a large catchment. Maybe you can reconsider that decision.

• petediscrete - Thanks for your interest.

If you are still willing, I am still curious to see if it works on DVB-S. If you have a really positive result, I may reconsider my stance.

I'd like to know if crazyturk's result was an outlier or typical of the DVB-S experience. Perhaps there was an unexpected complication with CE.

• Ok. Just to be clear from the outset. This won’t be some comparison test between your addon setup in LE v CE. You do know the mods will shut down that discussion very quickly.

I’ll gladly do a fresh install of LE and install your Wizard addon in a DVBS environment and post back here with my findings.

• This won’t be some comparison test between your addon setup in LE v CE.

Agreed.

I'd like to see the result with DVB-S on LE as the addon was designed for LE. I don't know enough about CE to determine how much that contributed to crazyturk's result. However, if I get a similar failure in LE, then I can be fairly certain that my addon is to blame and decide where to go from there.

I’ll gladly do a fresh install of LE and install your Wizard addon in a DVBS environment and post back here with my findings.

Thanks.

• You do know the mods will shut down that discussion very quickly.

If the development conversation here ends up discussing both distros it's really not an issue for anyone. That said, if you want to ask detailed Q's about CE internals it's probably the wrong forum to use because that's not our expertise.

• Thanks for your feedback.

My personal vision is that once the normal LibreELEC Setup Wizard executes its current final step, the user will be asked if they want to configure a PVR. If they answer ‘Yes’, this script will be run.

Before this can occur, I think that much more testing against a wide range of different systems will be required to prove its resiliency and stability. This could take some time.

At the very least, it would nice to add it to the LibreELEC repository for easier installation, however, it is still very early days.

Wow, that sounds perfect. Good luck. Let me know if i can join in the testing any more for you.

• Ok.Got a spare moment to try your Wizard.Details as follows

Hardware: Rock64 board (RK3328). 16gb SD Card. Tuner Digibit DVBS Twin Sat/IP Tuner

Software: LibreELEC (community nightly) 12.0 Nightly (Kodi 21.0 RC1 Omega)

From a blank SD card to recording live TV on TVH total time taken 30 minutes. I've no idea what other feedback to give you other than the results speak for themselves. Installed your Wizard script set it to run and job is done.

Have you any other questions you feel you need to ask me.

• petediscrete - Thank you very much for your efforts.:thumbup:

After the report from crazyturk, I was expecting much worse and I am pleasantly surprised.

Is your satellite dish fixed or motorised?

They do say one swallow never makes a summer. My feedback proved that 😂 I never doubted that DVBS would work with your Wizard. You can now take that as read for future development.

Yes my dish is motorised. 45 east to 45 west.

From a vanilla LE install and installing your Wizard add on, what should the average user expect from the Wizard.

At what stage should they need to visit the TVH web GUI. Do you see where I’m coming from. Logically comparing your Wizard add on process to the process of installing the TVH 4.3 server, TVH PVR client and then accessing the TVH web GUI where the TVH Wizard is ready to run on first access.

• I never doubted that DVBS would work with your Wizard.

Thanks for your vote of confidence.

From a vanilla LE install and installing your Wizard add on, what should the average user expect from the Wizard.

The average user should expect to see a basic/simple TVH configuration suitable for live TV and PVR operations.

This may be a subtle nuance, the addon is actually called ‘TVHeadEnd PVR Quick Start’, I have not used the term ‘Wizard’ for a long time. Its description reads 'Quickly configure a simple PVR using TVHeadEnd.'

At what stage should they need to visit the TVH web GUI.

If all the user needs is a basic PVR/TV experience, they need never visit the TVH WebUI. Viewing the EPG, changing channels and managing recordings will be handled by Kodi’s PVR module. Although the URL for the WebUI is displayed in the heading of the addon should the user choose to go there.

Do you see where I’m coming from.

No, not really.

The addon is designed to automate the tasks of:

• Installing the LibreELEC TVH server addon.
    • Installing the Kodi HTS PVR addon.
    • Browsing to the TVH server addon and running the Wizard.
  • In the Kodi ecosystem "Wizards" are mostly associated with piracy add-ons/builds so avoiding that term is a good move :thumbup:

That's good to know.

My reason for renaming was more that a 'Wizard' had full and comprehensive knowledge of a topic, whereas a 'Quick Start' gets you up and running.

I have renamed the threads to refer to 'Quick Start' rather than 'Wizard'.

• petediscrete & crazyturk

Thank you both very much your your assistance in testing.

It seems that crazyturk was using directly connected a tuner card, whereas petediscrete was using an external Sat>IP device.

On top of that, it appears that both of petediscrete's ‘leaf’ adapters point back to the same source. However, crazyturk seems to have multiple leaf devices connected to multiple satellite configurations. Each configuration option is represented as a different branch in the device tree.

Based on a lot of reading, the following is purely hypothetical, and I plan to delve deeper into this with a configuration data request from both of you shortly.

Because the addon takes a very basic approach, it assumes that all of the leaf adapters of the same type all point to the same place and therefore connects them to the same network (group of muxes).

For example, with my configuration, all of my DVB-T leaf adapters are connected to the same antenna on my roof. As TVH tries to tune to each mux, it is attaching to one of the free leaf adapters and configuring it with the appropriate frequency, etc.

On petediscrete's system, it did the same thing and because all of the leaf adapters coincidentally connected to the same place, tuning worked as planned. I suspect that if petediscrete's SAT>IP box was configured for multiple satellites, petediscrete's results would have been different.

With crazyturk, however, I am speculating based on the device tree names, that each leaf adapter instructs the motorised dish to acquire a different satellite. The addon has then lumped all of the DVB-S leaf adapters into one giant group. When TVH tried to tune and scan, it was effectively scanning random satellites for the muxes that crazyturk expected to find on a single specific satellite.

The addon failed for crazyturk, in part, because the muxes selected also need to correspond to the leaf adapter that points to the specific satellite required. Not all DVB-S leaf adapters lead to the same place.

I will ask both of you to provide me with a dump of your configurations. I just need to work out exactly what information I will need. This could take a few days.

Once again, than you both.

• I’ll be busy over the next week or two so it may take time to get back testing.

Bear in mind that my Sat/IP tuner is announced to my network and thus TVH as a service.

I dumped all those DVB cards and DVB USB dongles a long time ago. More trouble than they’re worth with driver issues on kernel changes. Most of them are not even supported in LE these days.

For DVBS purposes I’d stick with Sat/IP tuners and for DVBT I’d stick with something like the RPI DVBT Hat.

• Great glad that you got SAT>IP working I didn't realize that TVHeadend would virtualize it as DVB-S like that. It resolves the concern I installing and maintaining a tuner device on LE so is a real plus for having an addon.

petediscrete, how does TVHeadend or the addon deal with needing 3 scan files on 28.2E/F and G?