How to enable 4k/60hz on RPi4

• Sounds like your HiSense only accepts 4:2:0 connections for 2160p50 and above - and not 4:2:2, but your LG accepts 4:2:2 at 2160p50 and above.

The Pi 4 and Pi 5 don't output 2160p50 and above in 4:2:0 (the Pi doesn't support 4:2:0) so that explains no 2160p60 on your HiSense from the Pi, but the LG being OK with 4:2:2 from the Pi 4/5 at 2160p60.

WRT to your Denon AVR - there are known issues between Pi5 and Pi5 and some Denon AVRs.

Edited 2 times, last by noggin (March 10, 2024 at 9:40 AM).

• Thanks for your input chewitt.

I use NUC with Intel i3 CPU and it works great, playing my videos 2160p/60 in both; H264 and H265. I like to have second device as a backup. I can play 1080p VC-1 from my RPi3 (with license)

My best

• Two other things I'd mention :

1. For 2160p50 4:2:2 you need an 18Gbs HDMI 2.0-compatible cable - I ensure mine have the HDMI Premium Certified hologram (they aren't expensive). Cables that work with 2160p60 4:2:0 (which is HDMI 1.4 bandwidth) often fall over at 2160p60 4:2:2.

2. Argon cases with HDMI extenders (little PCBs internally that have MicroHDMI plugs and Micro or Full-size HDMI sockets) to bring the HDMI ports out to the rear of the case are notoriously bad quality - they don't work reliably with 18Gbs HDMI 2.0 signals.

• Sounds like your HiSense only accepts 4:2:0 connections for 2160p50 and above - and not 4:2:2, but your LG accepts 4:2:2 at 2160p50 and above.

The Pi 4 and Pi 5 don't output 2160p50 and above in 4:2:0 (the Pi doesn't support 4:2:0) so that explains no 2160p60 on your HiSense from the Pi, but the LG being OK with 4:2:2 from the Pi 4/5 at 2160p60.

Correct. It is what I found after test I did.

Zygmunt,

only a curious question regarding the VC-1 performance at your RPi4: Do you have additional lines in config.txt like this?:
    enable_uart=1

No, I don't. Should I add it?

You make debugging more complicated than necessary. Try without AVR's. If the issue persists, provide a log.

I did. I wrote about it. I found that there is communication problem between my DenonAVRX7200WA and RPi5.

When I go to Denon and press "info", suddenly I have a picture from RPi5 and it stays until I turn RPi5 OFF. I can switch AVR to other inputs and after returning to RPi5, picture is still ON.

Two other things I'd mention :

1. For 2160p50 4:2:2 you need an 18Gbs HDMI 2.0-compatible cable - I ensure mine have the HDMI Premium Certified hologram (they aren't expensive). Cables that work with 2160p60 4:2:0 (which is HDMI 1.4 bandwidth) often fall over at 2160p60 4:2:2.

2. Argon cases with HDMI extenders (little PCBs internally that have MicroHDMI plugs and Micro or Full-size HDMI sockets) to bring the HDMI ports out to the rear of the case are notoriously bad quality - they don't work reliably with 18Gbs HDMI 2.0 signals.

I use 8k HDMI 2.1 cables, certified for 48Gbps. I know that it is overkill, but some manufacturers are no fully honest, so when I use 8k cables they should be fine for 2160p/60 4:2:2 (I hope)

Edited 3 times, last by Zygmunt: Merged a post created by Zygmunt into this post. (March 11, 2024 at 5:58 PM).

• I asked this because I had stumbled upon this information::

https://www.raspberrypi.com/documentation/computers/configuration.html#mini-uart-and-cpu-core-frequency

But it seems, that the described behavior regarding the reduced/fixed core clock is not true in all cases and because of some open bugs in the firmware is not predictable.

enable_uart=1 NOT fixing core_freq to 250MHz · Issue #4123 · raspberrypi/linux
    Is this the right place for my bug report? I hope so, apologies if that's not the case. I've also posted on the RPi forum (See…
    github.com

I understood that VC-1 is not hardware decoded with a RPi4. But at a desktop computer ffmpeg tries to use some common acceleration functions to decode newer formats, which not directly supported by the GPU. It could be wrong, but my idea was, you should check if the VPU of the RPi4 has switched to 500 or 550MHz, to ensure that you get the maximum performance and not work against an additional limit.

vcgencmd measure_clock core

• I did. I wrote about it. I found that there is communication problem between my DenonAVRX7200WA and RPi5.

When I go to Denon and press "info", suddenly I have a picture from RPi5 and it stays until I turn RPi5 OFF. I can switch AVR to other inputs and after returning to RPi5, picture is still ON.

You've tried different hardware setups. Maybe your RPi's have wrong EDID data stored now.

To adjust it, type this on SSH (assuming you have a working setup, as you managed to get above)...

1. getedid delete
    2. getedid create
    3. reboot
  • I have an rpi4 and a Panasonic oled 4k TV. I configured libreelec following your advice and I got the display 2160/60Hz. The next day the 60Hz had disappeared, only the 30Hz was available. This happened. several times the 2160/Hz60 does not remain permanently available. However, I do not change anything in the configuration. excuse my English I'm French.