Posts by Zygmunt

Sounds like your HiSense only accepts 4:2:0 connections for 2160p50 and above - and not 4:2:2, but your LG accepts 4:2:2 at 2160p50 and above.

The Pi 4 and Pi 5 don't output 2160p50 and above in 4:2:0 (the Pi doesn't support 4:2:0) so that explains no 2160p60 on your HiSense from the Pi, but the LG being OK with 4:2:2 from the Pi 4/5 at 2160p60.

Correct. It is what I found after test I did.

Zygmunt,

only a curious question regarding the VC-1 performance at your RPi4: Do you have additional lines in config.txt like this?:
    enable_uart=1

No, I don't. Should I add it?

You make debugging more complicated than necessary. Try without AVR's. If the issue persists, provide a log.

I did. I wrote about it. I found that there is communication problem between my DenonAVRX7200WA and RPi5.

When I go to Denon and press "info", suddenly I have a picture from RPi5 and it stays until I turn RPi5 OFF. I can switch AVR to other inputs and after returning to RPi5, picture is still ON.

Two other things I'd mention :

1. For 2160p50 4:2:2 you need an 18Gbs HDMI 2.0-compatible cable - I ensure mine have the HDMI Premium Certified hologram (they aren't expensive). Cables that work with 2160p60 4:2:0 (which is HDMI 1.4 bandwidth) often fall over at 2160p60 4:2:2.

2. Argon cases with HDMI extenders (little PCBs internally that have MicroHDMI plugs and Micro or Full-size HDMI sockets) to bring the HDMI ports out to the rear of the case are notoriously bad quality - they don't work reliably with 18Gbs HDMI 2.0 signals.

I use 8k HDMI 2.1 cables, certified for 48Gbps. I know that it is overkill, but some manufacturers are no fully honest, so when I use 8k cables they should be fine for 2160p/60 4:2:2 (I hope)

Hello everybody
    I couldn't leave this problem unsolved, so I returned to this thread to check for new info.
    Hiassoft, you inspired me to further investigation writing: "Did you enable "Ultra HD Deep Colour" in your TV's HDMI port settings? If not then the PC will likely use 4:2:0 to output 4kp60 and RPi4 will be limited to 4kp30 as it doesn't support 4:2:0."
    I couldn’t find "Ultra HD Deep Colour" in my Hisense 43A65H settings, but I checked display info on my PC (Intel N5105) and found that output is 2160p/60 YCbCr420. I couldn't find any info about color depth output from N5105.

I connected PC to LG 32UL500-W, which has a maximum refresh rate of 60Hz on HDMI input. (HDMI 2.0). The max I could get was 2160p/60 YCbCr420.
    Where is a limit? In PC or LG monitor?
    Than I connected PC to Denon X7200WA (connected to old 6040UB projector) and got 2160p/60 YCbCr420. I didn't expect any better result because 6040UB doesn't accept signals over 2160p/60 YCbCr420.

Now it is time for RPi4 and RPi5
    RPi4.
    I added "hdmi_enable_4kp60=1" to config.txt just after hdmi_ignore_cec_init=1
    After connecting to Hisense 43A65H, RPi4 didn't let me go over 30Hz.
    So there are questions:
    Does Hisense 43A65H really accept 2160/60 4:4:4 and 4:2:2? It does not. (Or there is EDID problem).

Connected to LG 32UL500-W. RPi4 let me set 60Hz. It means that "hdmi_enable_4kp60=1" works, Hisense 43A65H has a problem with RPi and my PC can not send 2160/60 4:2:2 only 4:2:0.
    After connecting to Denon with projector OFF and only LG monitor connected, I could set RPi4 to 60Hz as well. It means that LG 32UL500-W accepts 4:2:2.

Now RPi5
    After connecting to Hisense 43A65H, RPi5 didn't let me go over 30Hz exactly like RPi4.
    When connected to LG 32UL500-W, RPi5 let me go to 60Hz without a problem.
    I connected RPi5 to Denon/LG monitor. No picture at all. I replaced RPi5 by RPi4 - and there is a picture. I connected RPi5 - no picture. Weird. Why RPi4 works but RPi5 doesn't?

In next step I was testing RPi4 and RPi5 connected directly to LG monitor. I could play my 2160p/60 fps videos H.265 smoothly, but 2160p/60 fps H.264 videos are choppy on both players.

Last test - 1080p movies. Both players play 1080p H264 without a problem.
    RPi4 has a problem with 1080p VC-1, but RPi5 plays them smoothly.

Thank you all of you for your help.

# before a statement = ignore what follows for the rest of the line. (It's how to put comments in the file, or quickly disable something during testing without deleting it)

I figured it out so I inserted just hdmi_enable_4kp60=1, without #

4k60 requires a higher quality cable as the video is carried at a higher speed and thus requires cables capable of carrying the higher bandwidth signal (Don't spend silly money - just buy one that is Premium Certified). 4K30 and below can be carried on older low-bandwidth cables.

Cable shouldn't prevent from setting 60Hz. (Later on I could have problems with picture when using low quality cable, I know). I tried four cables, different settings but finally I gave up. I will use computer for 60fps videos and RPis for other, lower fps videos and movies.

Hopefully next version of LibreELEC will have 2160p/60Hz as standard (at least for RPi5) and tweaking Config.txt will not be required.

Thanks for your help, guys.

I put it at the last line in config.txt. I tried :

# hdmi_enable_4kp60=1, #hdmi_enable_4kp60=1 and hdmi_enable_4kp60=1

Nothing. No 60Hz available. What I am doing wrong?

Why 60 Hz is not available in the LibreELEC software? I installed 11.0.6

I have RPi4 and RPi5. Everything is OK, but I can't set neither one to 2160p/60Hz.

My TV accepts 4k @ 60Hz @ 4:4:4. I have no problem to sent 2160p/60Hz videos from my computer, but not from RPi because I can't set it to 60Hz.

I found information in this forum that I should go to config.txt and add "hdmi_enable_4kp60=1", but I have no idea where to find config.txt I went to folder Configfiles, but can't find config.txt

Can anyone help me? Thanks upfront.

I found on "KODI How to" following: HOW-TO:Remotely update library.

I was sure I found a solution, there are JSON commands already prepared, but:
    1. First two options - I have no idea how to do it.
    2. WIN command prompt looks easy, but there is no curl.exe in downloaded curl folder. I tried several methods, but no success.

3. HTTP doesn't work on v18 Leia

So I am in starting point.

I installed Watchdog and played with settings. It doesn't clean library as described but it does after restarting player, so it helps, it does a job.

This weekend I will try to find option to send command to players from server (WHS 2011) or from PC (WIN7, 8 or 10) and also try to create service following your instruction, Mario77.

If you get stuck with script ask here..

Going to give you a good hint where to start from..all you need is something like this..

First I sent command on address line:192.168.1.226:8080/jsonrpc and received answer from player, so I know that I set up player properly.

I created batch file "update library.bat" but it doesn't work. Problem is that I am hardware, not software guy and don't understand many things.

I created batch: kodi-send --192.168.1.226:8080 --action="UpdateLibrary" and executed. Nothing. So I understood that I should put other commands as well even I don't understand what they are doing.

So:

Also nothing. I assume that there is an error above but I can figure out where because I don't understand many commends above.

I've read info how to create batch file on different websites but it didn't help.
    Can you help?

Klojum, it may work even better, but Kodi player has to use central library instead of creating library on local storage. I have to check if it is possible. Additional computer is not a problem because I have Media Server and library can be on this server.

I will look at this option.

Mario77 Thanks. I will check both options. Will see how it works.

Alternatively, you could run a single centralized database, so any of the Kodi clients could delete stuff from your libraries, instead of doing that 12 times.

Right now I think you manually delete a file from your server, and Kodi has to clean up after you. Better is to delete your movie from your (centralized) library directly, AND let Kodi remove the file from your source.

The same applies to adding new movies or tv series. Just a thought.

I don't understand your suggestion. All movies with meta-data folders and backgrounds are on the server running MyMovies. All players (Kodi clients) get all info from server and update library or on start or manually. Updating library doesn't remove movies deleted from server, it has to be done manually from player (Kodi client). I don't see any automated option like "Clean library on startup" nether option to clean library from remote location. When I go to Kodi remotely there is no option to clean library either.

You could use JSON-RPC to send cleaning commands to all your boxes. Don't ask me for details, I don't use that. /shrug

I checked your suggestion. I have to fully investigate this option. Thanks

I like to clean library on all 12 players automatically after removing movie from the server. I don't want to go to every room and perform library cleaning. I like to do it remotely, at once.
    There is "Update library on startup" option, but there is no "Clean library on startup" option. This option would solve my problem, but the best option would be an order from server (source) or one player to clean libraries on all of them.

Is it possible?

RPi4 software is not quite as mature as RPi3, but I've been using one as the family daily driver since before the public launch and I don't see any real-world issues with any media apart from HDR which plays with washed out colours due to the current lack of HDR support (but is otherwise fine).

In the absence of a debug log file which would allow us to spot the config errors and such, we have to guess. I'm guessing you've enabled 4K60 modes and set the GUI to 4K60 (or if not enabled, it's running at 4K30) and you haven't done refresh/resolution whitelisting, so 23.976 media is being forced to run at the desktop resolution (30 or 60 Hz) which requries resampling .. and RPi4 is still a low-power ARM device so that will suck and cause a nice stuttery experience.

Keep the desktop at 1080p60, set "adjust refresh" to start/stop and configure the whitelist for 1080p/4k 23.976/24/50/59.97/60 only, and don't force 4k60 in config.txt unless you actually intend to watch 4k60 media (there is none in use apart from test files).

So you are playing RPi4 2160p?

I decided to try it again and purchased another RPi4/4GB. I inserted brand new micro SD card and installed LibreELEC 9.2.3 and Aeon MQ8.

I tried every option for 1080p (2160p doesn't work at all.); 24fps, 23.98fps, 60fps, 59.94 fps. It works for while then freezes. It is not even close to RPi3. (I have two RPi3 working perfectly.) IMO combination of RPi4 and LibreELEC doesn't work properly even for some 1080p movies. (TV is OK)

I decided to use it for music, connecting output one to receiver and second to monitor. Second monitor shows only multi color square, nothing else.

Maybe RPi4 is good for some other projects, but not for LibreELEC player. I am done with it. Going back to RPi3s. Standard HDMI and works fine on 1080p/60fps.