Capture 5.1 via HDMI and send it to audio system

• Hello everyone,

unfortunately, I couldn't find anything in the forum and on the internet that really answer my question, even though I don't have anything particularly unusual in mind.
    I am currently running LibreElec on a Raspberry Pi 3B+ connected to a slightly older Panasonic TV (from 2009). The sound works well but is only stereo.
    I would now like to send the video to the TV and the sound to a 5.1 sound system (Teufel Concept E400). How can I realize this most easily?

If I understand correctly, I can either get a sound card (USB or HifiBerry), configure Kodi accordingly, and connect the sound system directly. The second option would be to connect the Teufel to an amplifier. I would then need to somehow connect the Raspberry to it (HDMI splitter?). Kodi would need to be configured for passthrough accordingly.

I have the following questions about that. Are my assumptions correct, or am I completely wrong? What is the best solution to get the most out of the sound system without spending hundreds of euros? Are there any other obstacles or things I need to consider before getting everything?

Thank you very much for your help.

Kind Regards,

Danny

• HDMI splitters have the advantage of being somewhat universal so if/when you update the RPi3B to something newer (which likely still has a single HDMI output) there's no change to the arrangement whether it's RPi or some other SoC/hardware. That said, HAT devices can be "recycled" with e.g. RPi5 as the GPIO pinout on RPi5 remains the same as RPi3 so if you go that route the update path is limited but you can still reuse. The main question to figure out for yourself is how much or little you want to spend?

• I would now like to send the video to the TV and the sound to a 5.1 sound system (Teufel Concept E400). How can I realize this most easily?

Hi, if you have the "Teufel Concept E400" and not the "Concept E 400 Digital", you have only analog inputs (6 RCA connector). Maybe you can try with a USB-Audio adapter, with 5.1 analog audio outputs (3x jack or 6x RCA connectors). The question is if the LE will have a propper driver for it.

• Thanks for your answers.

My main goal is that it works and is as simple to set up as possible. I can live with "almost" everything in terms of price, including a Hat, USB, and HDMI splitter.

Yes, I have the analog Teufel system with analog inputs that I would like to use again. I also see the issue with drivers, which is why I started this thread. I find a lot of different statements on the internet about what works and what doesn't. Does anyone have experience with any system of this kind? Any buying recommendations? I would like to avoid trying/buying everything multiple times, compiling drivers myself or spending hours setting everything up.

• Thank you for your response.
    Does anyone operate such a system, similarly or differently, and have specific experiences with it?
    The responses sound good, but they don't sound like someone is actually operating such a system in practice.

• I prefere to use the RPi-LE with "old and good" stereo spekers (JBL floorstanding). I'm using a small HifiBerry compatible module to get the stereo sound, a stereo amplifier with speakers and is works great for me. As I had driver trouble with USB connected device (USB-Wifi dongle), maybe is less risky to use an HDMI-Audio extractor device to get the 5.1 analog sound, something like this: https://www.amazon.com/Optical-Conver…r/dp/B07J49P1H2 - I never tried such a device - so read some reviews, before to buy it...