RPi 5

• Hello all

So I had enough of my NUC11 issues so want new hardware but need to ensure its powerful enough to playback 4k remux files I take from my 4k discs.

Would Pi 4b be good enough as I got one lying around or a pi 5?

Would a NUC p45 be any better for anything to do with Kodi or would that just be more useful if you needed to run Windows etc.

• If the 4K/UHD rips you make are HEVC then the RPi4 should handle them fine, and is free since you already have it. RPi5 is faster in GUI nav and a few other things but that's spending $$. I haven't used Intel hardware in years so can't make a recommendation on that side (RPi5 is the daily-driver).

• If the 4K/UHD rips you make are HEVC then the RPi4 should handle them fine, and is free since you already have it. RPi5 is faster in GUI nav and a few other things but that's spending $$. I haven't used Intel hardware in years so can't make a recommendation on that side (RPi5 is the daily-driver).

ok thanks

• I'm honestly not sure how I "play" a png file in Kodi? :)

EDIT: After enabling photos and using "files" to navigating to the dir with the png file the red and magenta bars are showing fine but the text labels for them are not as sharp as the other colours.

• I'm honestly not sure how I "play" a png file in Kodi? :)

EDIT: After enabling photos and using "files" to navigating to the dir with the png file the red and magenta bars are showing fine but the text labels for them are not as sharp as the other colours.

Ok thanks looks like it does not fully support 4:4:4 chroma then

• Here RPi4, RPi5 and Intel N100 with the bars running 11.0.5-#240124 with kernel 6.1.74
    connected -> Denon X6700H -> LG OLED55E6D screen resolution 2160p @ 60 Hz

I can not tell a difference between the 3 devices, but i am not totally clear what i should see or to be more precise what is good and what is bad. I can clearly see the difference between red and magenta.

• fuzzy

Do you mean that it's clear that there's horizontal chroma subsampling (i.e. the text is aliasy/jaggy/soft)?

If so - wouldn't a chroma grating, multiburst or zone plate be a better test for 4:2:2 vs 4:4:4/RGB chroma?

As others have suggested - what your devices EDID states support for and how your Pi's output is configured can play a part too.

For 2160p50/60 output modes HDMI 2.0 supports 4:4:4/RGB output at 8-bit only (which isn't suitable for HDR 10-bit video - or SDR 10-bit for that matter), and I think - by default - the Pi will thus prefer HDR-friendly 4:2:2 12-bit output modes at 2160p50/60 if an option.

For 2160p24/25/30 (2160p25/30 aren't universally supported by displays) and lower resolutions you can run 4:4:4/RGB at higher bit depths - so your output refresh rate and resolution can play a part in deciding whether 4:4:4/RGB or 4:2:2 output is used ?

• interesting

I just got pi 5 as decided to want smoother UI experience

I cant power off the Pi 5 using remote though. Using media player keys and flirc.

What happens if you navigate to the power menu and select Power Off, or map S to a key (that's the shortcut to bring up the Power Off menu)?

I've had no problems switching my Pi 5 off via those routes, and then pressing the Pi5's power button (!) switches it back on again!.

There's a config.txt entry you can enter that massively reduces current draw in shutdown (it's not - or wasn't - on by default as it can cause problems with some HATs because of which power is removed and which remains in that mode.)

• What happens if you navigate to the power menu and select Power Off, or map S to a key (that's the shortcut to bring up the Power Off menu)?

I've had no problems switching my Pi 5 off via those routes, and then pressing the Pi5's power button (!) switches it back on again!.

There's a config.txt entry you can enter that massively reduces current draw in shutdown (it's not - or wasn't - on by default as it can cause problems with some HATs because of which power is removed and which remains in that mode.)

looks like it was a remote issue

my harmony 600 remote with flirc no longer accepts the commands I had for my NUC