failure to mount Windows shares in Nexus nightlies

• Same thing happened to me with the same nightly (1253528), but for NFS shares and on rpi5.

systemctl status storage-backup.mount
    Gives this error:

× storage-backup.mount - nfs mount script
        Loaded: loaded (/storage/.config/system.d/storage-backup.mount; enabled; preset: disabled)
        Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Mon 2024-01-15 20:24:42 CET; 4s ago
         Where: /storage/backup
          What: 192.168.0.10:/mnt/zwork/share/backups/LibreElec/
           CPU: 1ms

Jan 15 20:24:42 Kodi systemd[1]: Mounting storage-backup.mount...
    Jan 15 20:24:42 Kodi mount[1932]: mount: /storage/backup: bad option; for several filesystems (e.g. nfs, cifs) you might need a /sbin/mount.<type> helper program.
    Jan 15 20:24:42 Kodi mount[1932]:        dmesg(1) may have more information after failed mount system call.
    Jan 15 20:24:42 Kodi systemd[1]: storage-backup.mount: Mount process exited, code=exited, status=32/n/a
    Jan 15 20:24:42 Kodi systemd[1]: storage-backup.mount: Failed with result 'exit-code'.
    Jan 15 20:24:42 Kodi systemd[1]: Failed to mount storage-backup.mount.

Edited once, last by luguber: Merged a post created by luguber into this post. (January 15, 2024 at 7:27 PM).

• Tried again with latest nightly

https://test.libreelec.tv/12.0/RPi/RPi4/LibreELEC-RPi4.aarch64-12.0-nightly-20240116-0f6c393.img.gz

relevant bit of journal

Code
    Jan 16 10:23:11 pi4-LEv20 kernel: CIFS: Attempting to mount //192.168.69.250/MediaShare0
    Jan 16 10:23:11 pi4-LEv20 mount[1808]: mount: /var/media/MediaShare0: cannot mount //192.168.69.250/MediaShare0 read-only.
    Jan 16 10:23:11 pi4-LEv20 systemd[1]: var-media-MediaShare0.mount: Mount process exited, code=exited, status=32/n/a

No mention of /sbin/mount.<type> helper.

Mount options in unit file:

Code
    Options=vers=2.1,rw,user=xxx,password=yyy,domain=zzz,noserverino,file_mode=0777,dir_mode=0777

Note that these options work fine before Jan. 8 build.

chewitt - could you show this thread to the devs please.

• Fixed in

https://test.libreelec.tv/12.0/RPi/RPi4/…-0af59b4.img.gz

Thanks HiassofT et al.

How do I mark this threadas [SOLVED}?

Glad it's fixed for you but no luck for me.

Running from ssh, I'm getting the following errors using 18th January nightly for RPi5:

This is with systemd mount script:

Did you have to make any changes to your script or exports file to get it to work?

• Not sure I can be of any help, my problem was with cifs, yours is nfs.

In my original post I showed the 'Options' I added to the unit file.

luguber was having issues with nfs mounts, I suggest you ping him.

• Not sure I can be of any help, my problem was with cifs, yours is nfs.

In my original post I showed the 'Options' I added to the unit file.

luguber was having issues with nfs mounts, I suggest you ping him.

Sorry, I should have read more carefully that yours was cifs.

luguber in case you have tried the nightly from 18th January (using the #8509 fix) - did it work for you?

I'm curious about these 2 lines in the error I get:

Code
    Jan 18 20:56:18 LibreELEC mount[1396]: mount.nfs: rpc.statd is not running but is required for remote locking.
    Jan 18 20:56:18 LibreELEC mount[1396]: mount.nfs: Either use '-o nolock' to keep locks local, or start statd.
  • Reddog as HiassofT wrote above, you need to add the nolock option. It works then.

Edited once, last by luguber (January 20, 2024 at 3:07 PM).

• The journal message already gave you the correct hint: use Option=nolock in your systemd mount unit.

so long,

Hias

Reddog as HiassofT wrote above, you need to add the nolock option. It works then.

HiassofT& luguber thanks for trying to help but it's still not working.

I added the Options line but got an error about "Protocol not supported" so added my NAS nfs version.

My Options line is now "Options=vers=3,mountvers=3,nolock" (not sure if one of the vers is redundant).

Current error using 20th January le12 nightly on RPi5 is:

Comparing this to a working version with le12 from 6th January:

FYI my NAS exports file is:

Code
    /mnt/HD_a2 192.168.1.0/24(rw,root_squash,sync,no_wdelay,insecure,no_subtree_check)

I'm obviously missing something so any help would be greatly appreciated.

• I also use nfsv3, I think it defaults to that still if you don't specify version.

For comparison, my config file looks like this:

Try mount manually:

Code
    mount -t nfs -o nolock 192.168.1.200:/mnt/HD_a2 /storage/NAS_1

And check logs to see if more details are mentioned there.

Code
    journalctl | grep nfs

Also, the timeout error you get suggest network or serverside issue as well.

I also use nfsv3, I think it defaults to that still if you don't specify version.

I can't get past the "protocol not supported" error without adding vers=3 in the options line.

For comparison, my config file looks like this:

Try mount manually:

Code
    mount -t nfs -o nolock 192.168.1.200:/mnt/HD_a2 /storage/NAS_1

Can't get this to work either (I added vers=3 due to the protocol error).

And check logs to see if more details are mentioned there.

Code
    journalctl | grep nfs

Now this is interesting?

Output:

Code
    /storage$ journalctl | grep nfs
    Jan 21 19:13:14 LibreELEC kernel: nfs4filelayout_init: NFSv4 File Layout Driver Registering...
    Jan 21 19:13:14 LibreELEC kernel: nfs4flexfilelayout_init: NFSv4 Flexfile Layout Driver Registering...
    Jan 21 19:14:50 LibreELEC systemd[1]: storage-NAS_1.mount: Unit process 963 (mount.nfs) remains running after unit stopped.
    Jan 21 19:14:50 LibreELEC systemd[1]: storage-NAS_2.mount: Unit process 967 (mount.nfs) remains running after unit stopped.

Why does this state nfs4?

Also, the timeout error you get suggest network or serverside issue as well.

My NAS is an ancient D_Link DNS-323 and has never been "fast" - when le starts up, the splash screen shows the le build and a message "waiting on Network to come online ...". This takes about 100 seconds before going into Kodi - showing an error before entering Kodi about mounting failing in the latest non-working builds.

The challenge is going to be establishing what is different to the util-linux's mount operation and the original (working for me) Busybox's mount operation with regard to the timeout issue.

• Not sure what could be your problem, are both your LE device and NAS on the same net, or is there a firewall between?
    I also get those two NFSv4 lines in my journal log so I don't think that's an issue.
    Try rpcinfo -p 192.168.1.200 from your LE box and then see if you are able to telnet to the ports nfs, portmapper and mountd runs on.

My NFS server is a BSD variant, Xigmanas, so it probably runs a different build version of nfs than your box.
    I don't really specify any options in my export file, so you could try removing yours in case there are any quirks there the server and client doesn't agree upon.

Code
    cat /etc/exports | grep Libre
    /mnt/zwork/share/backups/LibreElec -maproot="nobody" -network 192.168.0.40/30

No options in my export file gives me these default options in my nfs mount on LE:
    (I have async, noatime and nolock as mount options on client side)

Code
    mount | grep nfs
    192.168.0.10:/mnt/zwork/share/backups/LibreElec/ on /storage/backup type nfs (rw,noatime,vers=3,rsize=131072,wsize=131072,namlen=255,hard,nolock,proto=tcp,timeo=600,retrans=2,sec=sys,mountaddr=192.168.0.10,mountvers=3,mountport=719,mountproto=udp,local_lock=all,addr=192.168.0.10)