Posts by Reddog

So sorry about this - in order to prove to myself that I wasn't being crazy I reloaded the 726b493 build. Turns out that I must be!

All my HEVC files (they are all local by way of a new 4tb nvme drive - love the new Pi5 having this feature) now play flawlessly.

Only thing I didn't try when it wasn't working yesterday was the old IT Crowd catch phrase "Have you tried turning it off and on again".

Once again, sorry to have wasted your time.

This might not help you, but if you have still trouble, on the current nightly (b5ce01c) the hevc files I have tried (some uhd hdr promo movies) run fine.... the hevc decoder which is used seems to be even using a hardware decoding. (at least the info says so).

What I remember right now, on the pi4 I had the same with certain files, but I think that was more as the persons who made that used some uncommon formats like hevc 8bit or so which made problems with hw decoding.

Dont think I have those files still here, otherwise I would check if those still would make trouble

All working now - it was just a simple PBKAC.

I'm not seeing a 1st April nightly here: https://test.libreelec.tv/12.0/RPi/RPi5/

I do see 3rd April had an unwanted kodi bump that was bumped back on 4th April.

Does 4th April nightly also have the issue?

This is the 1st April nightly I'm referring to:

LibreELEC-RPi5.aarch64-12.0-nightly-20240401-726b493.img.gz

I'll try the latest (LibreELEC-RPi5.aarch64-12.0-nightly-20240405-b5ce01c.img.gz) when I have a bit more time.

Thanks for responding.

Could be just me since I haven't seen any similar posts but something changed between the 31st March and the 1st April nightly - i.e. with 31st March le12 nightly I have video + audio but with 1st April nightly it is only audio (my Samsung tv reports mode/resolution not supported).

From what I have observed it is only happening with HEVC videos (720p/1080p/2160p) - by turning off DRM Prime fixes the problem and the video is shown along with audio.

As I said it could be something in my settings but I don't recall changing anything that would have this effect and simply reverting back to the previous nightly build fixes the issue then I believe that it may be more widespread.

Could You please post a link to where one can find more info about this.

Couldn't find anything obvious about this on Kodi web of in their form.

Thanks!

Kodi wiki link:

Video versions - Official Kodi Wiki

I'm not sure which Kodi sub-forum covers this - please let me know if you find it!

"Versions" is the gift that keeps on giving .. the initial merge looked simple but then the 101x unconsidered corner-cases where it had unexpected impact started to show and it's been a complete pain in the rear to fix things; most of the original code has now been reverted and reworked to avoid or better resolve problems. If you report stuff in Kodi forums please be mindful that the devs who read of more issues will be "delighted" to know there's more :)

As mentioned above, I don't know which sub-forum covers this so I think I'll hold off and give it a few weeks for the coding to settle down. Just take a look at the videoversiontype table of MyVideos131.db where lines 24 to 387 are blank and then it shows "4K" and "3D" at the end - of course that might have been generated due to me specifically setting the versions as 4K & 3D.

As a side issue, you wouldn't happen to know which table is used for the field="filename" rule when used in a .xsp file?

Versions is a new feature that's had a challenging introduction (lots of rework needed since initial merge) so the best place to ask for help with it is the Kodi forum; as that's where the developers who've done (and are still doing) that rework, hang out.

Thanks, I'll do that.

I guess I was potentially trying to emphasise the issue in order for it to be considered in that rework.

I'm not sure if this is a le, kodi or skin problem (i.e. a problem for me at least).

My main library contains all films that are 4K, 3D, FHD or SD and I have set up the Version feature to contain 4K and 3D where there are 2 versions of the same film in those formats.

I also have a Favourites list that filters 4K and 3D (amongst others) using .xsp files.

4K.xsp:

3D.xsp:

XML
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="yes" ?>
    <smartplaylist type="movies">
        <name>3D</name>
        <match>all</match>
        <rule field="filename" operator="contains">
            <value>3D</value>
        </rule>
        <order direction="ascending">sorttitle</order>
    </smartplaylist>

The problem is that if I set the 4K film as the default in the Version setup then the 3D version of that film doesn't show up in the Favourites 3D list - but the 4K version does show in the 4K list.

If I set the 3D film as the default then the 4K version doesn't show up in the Favourites 4K list - 3D version shows in the 3D list.

I'm unsure if this is intended or is just a side effect of the way the Version system works and if there is a way round it.

Anyone with an idea that could fix this?

p.s. Using RPi5 with latest le12 nightly and Aeon Nox Silvo skin (version 9.99.3).

Ok, I'm quite sure now that this is some sort of timing issue.

I decided to play around with different options in the mount script since I noticed luguber had some differences to my mount | grep nfs output:

Code
    /storage$ mount | grep nfs
    192.168.1.200:/mnt/HD_a2 on /storage/NAS_1 type nfs (rw,relatime,vers=3,rsize=32768,wsize=32768,namlen=255,hard,nolock,proto=tcp,timeo=600,retrans=2,sec=sys,mountaddr=192.168.1.200,mountvers=3,mountproto=tcp,local_lock=all,addr=192.168.1.200)
    192.168.1.200:/mnt/HD_b2 on /storage/NAS_2 type nfs (rw,relatime,vers=3,rsize=32768,wsize=32768,namlen=255,hard,nolock,proto=tcp,timeo=600,retrans=2,sec=sys,mountaddr=192.168.1.200,mountvers=3,mountproto=tcp,local_lock=all,addr=192.168.1.200)

So I amended the options line in the NAS_1 script (thinking if that worked and the NAS_2 script didn't then that would prove the missing options):

Code
    Options=vers=3,nolock,noacl,retry=2,timeo=900,noatime,proto=tcp,mountproto=udp

And rebooted (after a systemctl daemon-reload command) - also removed my 4tb hdd attached to usb3 on the RPi5 so it wouldn't keep starting and stopping during the testing.

It worked with both mount scripts so I had access to both drives in the NAS from le.

I then did a shutdown to re-attach my hdd and restarted - both scripts failed this time.

Tried another reboot and this time the NAS_2 script mounted but the NAS_1 didn't! But when I went into a ssh session and did a "systemctl start storage-NAS_1.mount" command, I could then access the NAS_1.

So, if I want to keep up with le development I'm going to have to do multiple reboots in order to have both NAS drives mounted unless I find a solution around this timing issue.

p.s. my rcpinfo output:

Code
    /storage$ rpcinfo -p 192.168.1.200 |egrep "service|nfs"
       program vers proto   port  service
        100003    2   udp   2049  nfs
        100003    3   udp   2049  nfs
        100003    2   tcp   2049  nfs
        100003    3   tcp   2049  nfs

I also use nfsv3, I think it defaults to that still if you don't specify version.

I can't get past the "protocol not supported" error without adding vers=3 in the options line.

For comparison, my config file looks like this:

Try mount manually:

Code
    mount -t nfs -o nolock 192.168.1.200:/mnt/HD_a2 /storage/NAS_1

Can't get this to work either (I added vers=3 due to the protocol error).

And check logs to see if more details are mentioned there.

Code
    journalctl | grep nfs

Now this is interesting?

Output:

Code
    /storage$ journalctl | grep nfs
    Jan 21 19:13:14 LibreELEC kernel: nfs4filelayout_init: NFSv4 File Layout Driver Registering...
    Jan 21 19:13:14 LibreELEC kernel: nfs4flexfilelayout_init: NFSv4 Flexfile Layout Driver Registering...
    Jan 21 19:14:50 LibreELEC systemd[1]: storage-NAS_1.mount: Unit process 963 (mount.nfs) remains running after unit stopped.
    Jan 21 19:14:50 LibreELEC systemd[1]: storage-NAS_2.mount: Unit process 967 (mount.nfs) remains running after unit stopped.

Why does this state nfs4?

Also, the timeout error you get suggest network or serverside issue as well.

My NAS is an ancient D_Link DNS-323 and has never been "fast" - when le starts up, the splash screen shows the le build and a message "waiting on Network to come online ...". This takes about 100 seconds before going into Kodi - showing an error before entering Kodi about mounting failing in the latest non-working builds.

The challenge is going to be establishing what is different to the util-linux's mount operation and the original (working for me) Busybox's mount operation with regard to the timeout issue.

The journal message already gave you the correct hint: use Option=nolock in your systemd mount unit.

so long,

Hias

Reddog as HiassofT wrote above, you need to add the nolock option. It works then.

HiassofT& luguber thanks for trying to help but it's still not working.

I added the Options line but got an error about "Protocol not supported" so added my NAS nfs version.

My Options line is now "Options=vers=3,mountvers=3,nolock" (not sure if one of the vers is redundant).

Current error using 20th January le12 nightly on RPi5 is:

Comparing this to a working version with le12 from 6th January:

FYI my NAS exports file is:

Code
    /mnt/HD_a2 192.168.1.0/24(rw,root_squash,sync,no_wdelay,insecure,no_subtree_check)

I'm obviously missing something so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Not sure I can be of any help, my problem was with cifs, yours is nfs.

In my original post I showed the 'Options' I added to the unit file.

luguber was having issues with nfs mounts, I suggest you ping him.

Sorry, I should have read more carefully that yours was cifs.

luguber in case you have tried the nightly from 18th January (using the #8509 fix) - did it work for you?

I'm curious about these 2 lines in the error I get:

Code
    Jan 18 20:56:18 LibreELEC mount[1396]: mount.nfs: rpc.statd is not running but is required for remote locking.
    Jan 18 20:56:18 LibreELEC mount[1396]: mount.nfs: Either use '-o nolock' to keep locks local, or start statd.

Fixed in

https://test.libreelec.tv/12.0/RPi/RPi4/…-0af59b4.img.gz

Thanks HiassofT et al.

How do I mark this threadas [SOLVED}?

Glad it's fixed for you but no luck for me.

Running from ssh, I'm getting the following errors using 18th January nightly for RPi5:

This is with systemd mount script:

Did you have to make any changes to your script or exports file to get it to work?

An update on this issue. (BTW could a moderator please change the title to "RPI 5 USB boot issue" as it might get more exposure?)

I posted the same question on the Raspberry Pi forum and was led to there being a potential problem with libreelec.

I'm unsure if external links to other forums are allowed so in summary I listed my le cmdline.txt and output from blkid -o list to show that the UUIDs were the same (this was with the working le12 system running on a usb2 port) and confirmed that another os (bookworm installed on an ssd connected to the usb3 port along with the hdd on the other usb3 port) did boot as normal.

The response was:

That looks like libreelec is doing something funky with an initrd. It's probably best to ask them for help. It'd been years since I last used it.

unquote

Just to clarify - there is no issue booting le12 from a usb stick attached to a usb3 port as long as there is no hdd attached to the other usb3 port.

Trying to get my raspi 5 running le12 from usb and having some issues with the usb port.

With my pi 4 I had a 4tb hdd attached and powered by one of the usb3 ports and a usb stick with libreelec running on the other usb3 port. This setup has been working fine for over 3 years.

With the pi 5 running this configuration, using the official psu, the system refuses to boot - nothing showing on the screen. However, if I connect the usb stick to a usb2 port and leave the hdd attached to the usb3 port everything works as it should.

The pi 5 firmware version is 6th December and I'm running the latest le12 nightly.

Any ideas or would I be better asking this on the raspberry pi forum.

Thanks in advance.

So in short: best use stock HW and SW setup - only adjust Kodi settings as outlined eg here https://wiki.libreelec.tv/configuration/4k-hdr

Just a comment/observation about the recommended Whitelist given in that Wiki.

I am using a 2GB Pi 4B and was having a problem with a 720p HEVC @ 25fps file that had sound but no picture - at first I managed to get it working by disabling DRM Prime but couldn't fathom out why a simple 720p HEVC file wouldn't play when I have no problem playing 2160p HEVC at all refresh rates.

After a lot of head scratching, and at one point about to put this question to the forum, I had a light bulb moment.

My Whitelist contained the resolutions/refresh rates listed in the Wiki but I noticed 1920x1080 @ 25 is missing from the list.

I tried adding this to the Whitelist and, low and behold, the file now plays even with DRM Prime enabled.

I am aware that there is a discussion about allowing Kodi to double a 25fps file to 50fps, or something relating to this, but I am taking the approach if it works then it works.

Da Flex - thanks, I think I'll go ahead and buy the splitter.

Niceguy

The problem is finding an automatic 4k60 1x2 switch.

There are some 4k60 switches that require a physical "switch" to change displays but, not that I'm being too lazy to get up and do this, the routing of the cables will make it awkward to access the switch.

I think I'm going to go with the splitter I mentioned and suppose I can always return it if it doesn't work.

Thanks for your advice though.

re Whitelist - fortunately the EDIDs from the tv and pj match for all the resolutions I'm interested in (apart from the pj having sbs & tab due to it's 3d capabilities).

Long time lurker of this forum - have managed to solve most issues with the help of previous posts/solutions made.

However, I would like any comments to the feasibility of doing the following - not necessarily a LibreElec issue but might be!

I have a new 65" 4k Samsung tv that I would like to use with LibreElec on my Pi 4 in conjunction with my laser PJ (it is 1080p but accepts 4k/hdr signals - HDMI 2.0).

The idea would be to use the tv for general viewing and the pj (onto a 120" screen) for action + 3D films but only 1 display will be on at a time.

I intend using a 1x2 splitter to feed the tv + pj. - wiring would be pi hdmi 0 to splitter and pi hdmi 1 to Onkyo avr (hdmi 1.3a). Individually (i.e. hdmi 0 to tv and then hdmi 0 to pj) it works fine.

Product info:

1x2 4K HDMI Cascading Splitter - PSG3429

Product Overview

This HDMI splitter transmitting high definition video and audio signals to 2x HD display. It is cascaded (8x levels), meaning - it has the ability to further signal splitting from the outputs, if required. It supports video up to 4K. It features a built-in scaler and thanks to its slim design it fits almost all types of AV applications.

1x IN & 2x OUT - HDMI 4K, 60Hz

HDCP2.2 & 1.4

Cascading up to 8x levels

Built-in scaler

Power supply: MicroUSB

Dimensions (HxWxD): 9x83x40mm

The question is will this work or could it cause problems for LibreElec/Kodi/pi - e.g. EDID issues (although I do have separate fixed EDIDs for each pi outputs).

Thanks in advance for any comments.