Raspberry pi 3b hangs with Libreelec 11.0.4 and Wireguard

• Dear all,
    I have a "portable libreelec" that I bring everywhere with me and I use to play, using wireguard, movies in my NAS.
    Since the last update to 11.0.2 I have noted that when I play a second movie from my NAS, I get this kernel error. Visually Kodi starts playing (the second movie) but video does not show and, after a while, the system become not responsive.

Any idea? Perhaps I am doing something that I should not be doing with NFS over wireguard? Maybe of interest my autostart.sh file:

Code
    (
      sleep 20
      ip route add 192.168.x.xxx via 192.168.y.1 dev wg0
    )&

This is the Kodi log:

And this is the Kernel log:

• I am doing that right now. Re the log, unfortunately that is not a snippet, but the complete log. I will try to increase the log verbosity and provided it with PasteBin. Thanks

• The log file is short, because log level is 0. Set it to 1 or 2 by creating an advancedsettings.xml file. Log is only needed, if LE 11.0.4 doesn't fix it.

PS:

Code
    2024-01-04 20:52:48.375 T:734      info <general>: Disabled debug logging due to GUI setting. Level -1.

I haven't seen log level -1 before. That's not legit. ^^

• here you go:

External Content pastebin.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Thx. I don't think it's related to the kernel error from post #1. Looks like a network error to me:

Code
    2024-01-05 00:05:35.843 T:990   warning <general>: OutputPicture - timeout waiting for buffer
    2024-01-05 00:05:35.912 T:883     debug <general>: ActiveAE::SyncStream - average error 0.290755, last average error: 530.673348

To rule out network errors, play the same movies directly from USB (thumb drive).

• Thanks for your support. After playing something from NFS, I played another video from SD to make sure it is not a network issue. Here is the pastebin obtained from pastekodi:

External Content pastebin.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Since I have started the new movie, kodi is not responding (systemctl restart kodi does not do anything) and this is the repeating output:

• I did some further experimentation:

• I moved to mariadb
    • I hard-coded the nfs mount using the .mount service. I added the dependence in the service to the wireguard service, everything gets mounted as needed.

result does not change. I still cannot play two videos one after the other and the error is the same that I posted last time :(

I can play two "local videos" without problems

• Code
    Feb 16 19:10:58.491752 LibreELEC systemd[1]: Starting network-base.service...
    Feb 16 19:10:58.571792 MobileKodi systemd[1]: Finished network-base.service.
    Feb 16 19:10:58.572201 MobileKodi systemd[1]: systemd-timesyncd.service was skipped because of an unmet condition check (ConditionPathExists=/dev/.kernel_ipconfig).

Add a couple of seconds at "wait for network" (LE network settings).

• Went from 10 secs to 30 secs, still the same error when playing the second movie (and same kernel oops)

What I found weird is that kodi is trying to reload some settings:

Edited once, last by denix: Merged a post created by denix into this post. (January 6, 2024 at 11:54 PM).

• To figure out the specific change that altered behaviour you need to "git bisect" the changes in our GitHub repo between 11.0.2 and 11.0.4 or narrow the time range to a specific day using bisect-like testing of nightlies between the release dates. I have hunch the NFS session needed for the persistent system mount is disrupted/lost after initial boot and playback resulting in Kodi losing "local" access to media. To understand/prove that you'd need to capture/analyse PCAP files, but they will be large (I'm not volunteering).

Some thoughts: If you accessed media using the Kodi NFS client this expects connect/disconnect events to happen (whereas local media access does not) so that might prove more reliable than a system mount. I've also personally found SMB to be more reliable than NFS at accessing content remotely on my own hotel/remote device. These days I only use the native SMB client. That said, I also see too many issues with poor speeds in hotel networks so while I can access media over SMB from the NAS via a WireGuard tunnel to home; I mostly use the Plex add-on for Kodi to stream content from a Plex server running on the NAS. This only requires me to expose ports for Plex (so no WireGuard needed) and Plex can transcode content into a lower resolution (less bandwidth required) on-the-fly if the connection isn't running fast enough or I want to override/force the resolution.

NB: I'd also put "ip route add" commands into a systemd service so it can be scheduled more accurately than "sleep 20" after the WireGuard tunnel is established. I doubt that's involved in the problem you're seeing though.

• Hi, this seems to be the exact same behavior we are discussing here:

[BUG] RPI5 kernel panic · Issue #1009 · jurialmunkey/skin.arctic.horizon.2
    Skin section Fullscreen Video OSD Current Behavior If i select a live tv channel or VOD the audio starts playing for a few seconds, then stops. The video is…
    github.com

And here:

vanfroda
    January 16, 2024 at 1:19 PM

So it seems to happen on:

• RPI3b
    • RPI4
    • RPI5

According to @Ozymandyaz the user in the github issue, it is not happening on 11.0.3

Hope this helps to narrow down the search a little bit :)