Current 12.0 Generic Nightlies: No networking with Realtek RTL8125B

• Hi.

Since about mid November the nightly 12.0 Generic builds have resulted in a booted & running LE/Kodi system, but no networking.

Device is an Odroid H3+ (N6005 Celeron) with onboard Realtek RTL8125B (2.5GbE) LAN ports.

The LE settings addon shows no available network devices in Connections.

I tried the "System and Kodi Backup" option in the addon to dump a backup to a removable drive to inspect on another system, but the function doesn't store any useful logs from Kodi or OS.

Given that there seems not to be any method to access a local console shell with attached keyboard in the 12.0 Generic builds I can't access any OS level logs at all to start digging into what exactly is failing.

Any suggestions ?

• Go to Best Answer
  • Never mind - dug out an old USB 1GbE adapter (also Realtek, as it happens) and a network connection was achieved.

Created the log batch from the Logfiles share - attached here log-2023-12-09-15.40.59.zip (300KB)

The onboard 2.5GbE ethernet devices (eth0 & eth1) both seem to be detected and started without errors that I can see, but for some reason they don't show up in LE/Kodi.

My previously working device on the older nightly builds is eth1.

The temporary 1GbE USB adapter is eth2.

Can anyone see why eth1 isn't working ?

• I can see the eth0 and eth1 in your dmesg too. And nothing untoward.

This post goes through the particular card. It would be worth checking each step.

eth1 is a bit strange - in that it shows an MTU of 9000.

Both eth0 and eth1 are not showing any traffic and I can’t see the cable “connect” / “disconnect”
    I’m not sure where this script is from? /storage/.config/system.d/mtuchange.service from the 02_System log.

• mglae Thanks for that - I'll give 1500 a try.

The 9000MTU jumbo packet setting was just to keep consistent with my Unraid NAS box which has 9000 on it's 10GbE NIC.

To be honest that was an `"temporary experiment" from when I put some NVME cache drives in the server and wanted to see what throughput could be achieved. That was 2 years ago ^^

It's only a home LAN, and the amount of time the network is really doing any serious transfer is vanishingly small, so I think I'll go back to a 1500MTU network throughout, and not lose any sleep about missing the theoretical 5-10% extra max throughput and the 7 minutes a month it might save me :P