Terratec CINERGY TC2 Stick does not work - actually works with correct firmware and correct muxes

• That’s why I wanted to see the contents of dmesg on that three step cycle. The stick doesn’t have an independent power supply so it’s likely that’s one of the sources of the problem.

If indeed it is the cause a power supply with a larger overhead would be a solution or failing that a tuner with its own power supply that’s proven to work. Another possibility would be a powered USB hub but again they come with their own problems too.

• It works now. Thank you very much to all of you.

maybe it was because of USB power setting...

Maybe it conflicted with other USB devices, namely the MELE F1 Remote. (I had accidentally two plugged in)

• It works now. Thank you very much to all of you.

maybe it was because of USB power setting...

Maybe it conflicted with other USB devices, namely the MELE F1 Remote. (I had accidentally two plugged in)

You’ve very little power overhead available with the stick plugged in. You may experience problems again. Keep as little other devices plugged into the RPI as possible. Again consider a powered USB hub if it does.

• Ok. Tried an external powered hub.

It draws 2 W including power supply and hub. Not that much.

Rasberry draws 3 to 5 Watts w/o DVB.

I got it.

It works when it has been booted before.

I thought it is something about warm or cold state, but no.

If it is the first boot since power-up of the stick, the log shows the following.

Code
    [    4.852221] usb 1-1.3.4: new high-speed USB device number 6 using dwc_otg
    [    4.945911] usb 1-1.3.4: New USB device found, idVendor=0ccd, idProduct=10b2, bcdDevice= 1.00
    [    4.945955] usb 1-1.3.4: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=0
    [    4.945968] usb 1-1.3.4: Product: TS Aggregator
    [    4.945979] usb 1-1.3.4: Manufacturer: CINERGY TC2 Stick
    [   12.435637] usb 1-1.3.4: dvb_usb_v2: 2nd usb_bulk_msg() failed=-110
    [   12.435682] dvb_usb_af9035: probe of 1-1.3.4:1.0 failed with error -110
    [   12.435823] usbcore: registered new interface driver dvb_usb_af9035

when rebooting without power cycling the dvb stick, everything works fine.

Code
    [   10.003775] dvb_usb_af9035 1-1.3.4:1.0: prechip_version=83 chip_version=01 chip_type=9306
    [   10.118277] dvb_usb_af9035 1-1.3.4:1.0: firmware version=1.4.0.0
    [   10.694920] usbcore: registered new interface driver dvb_usb_af9035

I searched through the kernel source but I just cannot find out what this error code stands for. any hints?

• thanks, posting random links does not help. ;)

I am rather sure it's not about power.

I tried two different self powered hubs.

I use the original raspberry power supply and the USB device uses less than 200 mA / less than 1 Watt when in use. (the rest went to USB hub and power supply, because I measured the brut amount)

problem does not happen on PC.

But it's ok. I give up. ;)

• They weren’t random links. They were pointers to your error code which I assume you didn’t see the relevance in. Don’t worry I won’t be doing that again 😠

I’ve no idea how you are carrying out those measurements or what metrics you applied. It all appears quite arbitrary.

The fact that the problem doesn’t appear on a PC would indicate a power issue on the board. Btw you didn’t include a full log which is normally required before anyone even looks at your issue.

• At the end of the day your issue probably needs someone familiar with the driver & usb hub, which means it is a mainline Linux problem or Raspberry Pi Linux problem. It's not unheard of to be the latter (there has been breakage before on Raspberry Pi's kernel that manifested with the same error), and they are probably in a better position to provide some sort of support. It could also just be a shitty device. I guess don't be surprised if it's not solved, it often takes someone with the technical knowledge of the driver, device, and stack in between to solve it. The other option is going back to the manufacturer and see what they will do to support it, probably nothing as that is pretty typical.

On the bright side the problem is more in the annoyance category, at least it works.