LibreELEC support for Raspberry Pi 5

• The power button will maybe be good for safely rebooting when LibreElec/Kodi freezes (?). Maybe you can hold the button for 5s and it will trigger a reboot.

The power button works pretty much as on a PC: if you press it for a shot time it'll do a graceful shutdown and if it hold it for 5s it'll do a hard poweroff (needed when the system/kernel completely locked up).

so long,

Hias

• What do you think about a LE 11 support for PI 5 ? Is it possible?

If yes, must we have to wait for a Kodi Nexus 20.3 release?

Kodi still has the intent to make a 20.3 release but there are complications with shipping another K20 Android release via the Google Play store as Google now requires a minimum API version that's higher than K20 implements (and each API bump typically requires some finessing in Kodi code). The route forwards hasn't been agreed yet.

If/when/once https://github.com/LibreELEC/LibreELEC.tv/pull/8181 is merged support will be in nightlies; although personally I'd still prefer the team to focus on an LE12 release; while LE11 compiles fine I'm not sure anyone put some testing miles on it and users expect "stable" releases to be, well, stable.

• Hi,

About AV1, does LE use [dav1d](https://code.videolan.org/videolan/dav1d) decoder? Maybe RPi5 is powerfull enough to make it run?

yes - scroll back a page, this was already discussed :)

HiassofT
    September 28, 2023 at 9:02 PM

so long,

Hias

• Kodi still has the intent to make a 20.3 release but there are complications with shipping another K20 Android release via the Google Play store as Google now requires a minimum API version that's higher than K20 implements (and each API bump typically requires some finessing in Kodi code). The route forwards hasn't been agreed yet.

If/when/once https://github.com/LibreELEC/LibreELEC.tv/pull/8181 is merged support will be in nightlies; although personally I'd still prefer the team to focus on an LE12 release; while LE11 compiles fine I'm not sure anyone put some testing miles on it and users expect "stable" releases to be, well, stable.

Hi,

seems, PR is merged into Master.

Am i right, that LE will release a 11.x version?

• Am i right, that LE will release a 11.x version?

That will depend on how testing feedback from our LE11 nightlies will be.

If it's going well we might do a kind of stop-gap LE11 pre-release for RPi5. But keep in mind that it's all very bleeding edge right now so there might be minor or even major issues that we don't know about yet and it'll also not have all the performance improvements (like NEON accelerated deinterlace) as LE12 has right now.

Our main development focus is on LE12 which will take a lot amount of our time as we need to be moving to the next LTS kernel (might be 6.6 or maybe 6.7 - we don't know yet for sure), regularly track latest kodi versions to make sure they work fine (and in case of issues provide feedback to kodi devs) and also tackle a ton of outstanding updates to LE packages and addons.

So if we do an RPi5 LE11release it will be kind of "provided as is, use at your own risk", and if there are issues they might only get fixed in LE12, not future LE11 nightlies (depending on how involved the fixes are).

Still, I hope we can do some LE11 release as that might be a more stable stop-gap for you users than LE12 nightlies (which will become quite rough and bumpy in the next few months).

so long,

Hias

• What I'd really like is an LE11 update which I can apply on my Pi 4, move the SD card to a Pi 5, and it will still work.

I haven't tested it myself yet but a manual "cross grade" on RPi4 (copy RPi5 tar/img.gz to the /storage/.update folder and also create a ".nocompat" file there, then reboot to install it) should work fine.

so long,

Hias

• I haven't tested it myself yet but a manual "cross grade" on RPi4 (copy RPi5 tar/img.gz to the /storage/.update folder and also create a ".nocompat" file there, then reboot to install it) should work fine.

so long,

Hias

Same process for a installation on a USB 3.0 Stick?

• Same process for a installation on a USB 3.0 Stick?

Yes.

BTW: If you plan to use USB boot be sure to buy the new official(!) 5A RPi power supply as well - stay away from 3rd party power supplies, testing with those (eg Radxa 5V/5A one) was really depressing, none of them worked reliably.

The old 3A PS is too weak (RPi5 needs a lot more power) and thus USB current will be limited to 0.6A - which isn't enough for most USB3 sticks/SSDs/HDDs etc and the bootloader will loudly warn about that and refuse to boot from them by default. You can override that with a press on the power button or a config.txt entry but I strongly advise against doing that as there's a high risk of data corruption.

With the official 5V/5A PS everything should work just fine and you'll get up to 1.6A (total) for USB devices.

PS: I don't have the official PS yet so haven't verified it myself but I trust the testing done by RPi devs in that matter.

so long,

Hias

• a manual "cross grade" on RPi4 (copy RPi5 tar/img.gz to the /storage/.update folder and also create a ".nocompat" file there, then reboot to install it) should work fine.

Note that this ^ is a one-way upgrade as the RPi5 kernel that LE is using will not boot an RPi4. It's not impossible to recover from (mount and overwrite some files with the RPi4 image equivalents) but .. that's fiddly.

• Note that this ^ is a one-way upgrade as the RPi5 kernel that LE is using will not boot an RPi4. It's not impossible to recover from (mount and overwrite some files with the RPi4 image equivalents) but .. that's fiddly.

So, i will order a Pi 5 + new Power Suppy on Monday. This will replaced my PI 4 with LE 11.0.3.

To upgrade:

- Full Backup

- Upload via FTP img file for Pi 5 to ".update" folder

- create in ".update" folder ".nocompat" file

- turn off

- Plugin USB Stick into PI 5 - restart

- Hope