[RPi4B] Argon One Case Shutdown

• If the on/off frequency of the fan is pretty constant, then I would say it's expected behavior. My power LED (always-on expected) had random on/off cycles without that fix.

Yeah its constant. Kinda annoying but not too bad.

After about 30 seconds of testing this seems to solve the problem. Haven't tested any of the other features but the fan isnt pulsing at this stage.

Edited once, last by PANiCnz: Merged a post created by PANiCnz into this post. (February 17, 2024 at 11:45 PM).

• The hopefully fixed version 0.0.8 is available. Please report if it's working now without fan fluctuation with the Argon One V3 case.

Can someone with a Argon One V3 case check if a "Double Tap" at the power button triggers Reboot like with Argon One V2 case?
    If not, I need some information if it works after changing these lines in /flash/config.txt from:

Code
    dtoverlay=gpio-ir,gpio_pin=23
    dtparam=i2c=on
    enable_uart=1

to

Code
    dtoverlay=gpio-ir,gpio_pin=23
    dtparam=i2c=on
    dtparam=uart0=on

Followed by a reboot.

Edited once, last by HarryH (February 18, 2024 at 1:49 AM).

• Version 0.0.9a released

• includes the fix for power button recognition with RPi5 + LE12
      (double tab) -> Reboot
      (hold > 3 seconds) -> graceful shutdown
      (hold > 5 seconds) -> enforced shutdown with power cut Pi

:!:A fix for the power button recognition with RPi5 + LE11 is currently not possible, because lgpio is only available with RPi-Tools Add-on for LE12. The LE11 RPi-Tools Add-on provides the backend RPi.GPIO which doesn't support the RPi5.

Edited 2 times, last by HarryH (February 19, 2024 at 12:17 AM).

• Version 0.0.10 released

Please read the additional informations in post 25 [RPi4B] Argon One Case Shutdown

• switched from lircd to rc_maps/keytable for argon remote
      :!:if you use a own remote control profile please make a backup before install and/or add a lockfile to prevent overwriting.
      touch /storage/.config/argon40_rc.lock
    • faster shutdown/reboot
    • workaround for remote control shutdown
  • I've installed version 0.0.10, and it looks to be performing as expected.

My remote is no longer working. Am using a SofaBaton, with the onboard IR receiver and a mecool_kii_pro keymap.

Edit: ignore that all sorted. Has anyone else found the range on the v3 IR receiver to be crap? I'm barely getting 6ft. Using a FLIRC as a temporary solution but would rather use the builtin receiver.

Can the addon be configured so it doesn't override /storage/.config/rc_maps.cfg on boot? I've changed it to support the remote I'm using but after a reboot its back to the argon40 remote.

Edited 2 times, last by PANiCnz (February 22, 2024 at 5:42 AM).

Can the addon be configured so it doesn't override /storage/.config/rc_maps.cfg on boot? I've changed it to support the remote I'm using but after a reboot its back to the argon40 remote.

Before I look deeper into the code, does this "touch /storage/.config/argon40_rc.lock" don't work for you?

Regarding the range. I have seen your post in Argon40 forum. I can only report from a buddy of me, who is owner of a Argon One V1 and has added the IR Receiver manually. He reported a bad response to the IR signal until he has made a slot/hole in the transluent red plastic cover. Before made such irreversible changes you should check without the bottom assembled.

Edit:
    In a short test with my universal remote control, I got a distance of about 4m/13 feet when I pointed the remote control frontal to the argon case. The further you go away, it seems more important to keep the remote control at the same heights as the case/IR sensor.

Edited once, last by HarryH (February 22, 2024 at 1:39 PM).

• Version 0.0.11b released

• explicit firmware detection during power off procedure to reduce this call to one
    • attempt to fix the permission issue for lgpio workaround
      The problem must have existed from version 0.0.7 to 0.0.10, but unfortunately no one here reported that the add-on does not work properly in combination with LE12. In such cases, I would be happy to receive feedback and, if necessary, a kodi.log.:
      https://wiki.libreelec.tv/support/log-files

Edited 2 times, last by HarryH (February 26, 2024 at 12:09 AM).

• Version 0.0.11d released

Original this version should only be a debug release, but I corrected many things under the hood so I don't hide.

• “Handle power button events” is honored without reboot
    • remote control shutdown exception fixed
    • fan settings now adjustable in 1 degree steps
    • added debug messages
    • freeing of power button detection GPIO pin forced
    • code cleanup

Edit:
    Known issues:

• LibreELEC 12 -> gpiozero makes some trouble in combination with lgpio
      If the add-on was disabled and enabled again, the GPIO pin for power button monitoring can't be freed. To workaround a reboot is needed, to work again.
      It's a general issue, not specific for this version. It affects all versions until now. I'm currently investigating to find a solution for that.

Edited 4 times, last by HarryH: known issue added (March 1, 2024 at 12:20 PM).

• Version 0.0.12a released

• bugfix: works again with LibreELEC 11

The other day I was concentrating on getting it to work with LE12 and accidentally put a line of code in 0.0.12 that prevented it from working with LE11. However, I'm surprised that no one here has complained about it. Have you all switched to LE12 yet?

• Before I look deeper into the code, does this "touch /storage/.config/argon40_rc.lock" don't work for you?

Regarding the range. I have seen your post in Argon40 forum. I can only report from a buddy of me, who is owner of a Argon One V1 and has added the IR Receiver manually. He reported a bad response to the IR signal until he has made a slot/hole in the transluent red plastic cover. Before made such irreversible changes you should check without the bottom assembled.

Edit:
    In a short test with my universal remote control, I got a distance of about 4m/13 feet when I pointed the remote control frontal to the argon case. The further you go away, it seems more important to keep the remote control at the same heights as the case/IR sensor.

Thanks "touch /storage/.config/argon40_rc.lock" sorted it.

Found my range issues are likely being caused by the remote rather than the sensor. Range on my SofaBaton U1 is terrible compared to my Flirc Skip 1s. Unfortunately, the range of devices supported by the Skip 1s is a big lack luster.

• Version 0.0.13 released

• added option for displaying temperature in Fahrenheit
    • added SSD/NVMe temperature observing option for fan control

Be aware: switching the display units between Celsius and Fahrenheit behaves like 2 different temperature profiles. There is no transfer of the values (no migration) from one profile to the other.

Regarding the SSD/NVMe fan control: The settings are only shown, if the GUI is set to Advanced or Expert ! The temperature profile with the highest required PWM value wins.
    For example if you set value for SSD/NVMe too low, than the fan will starts regardless if the CPU temperature is over the 1st threshold or not.

Edited once, last by HarryH (March 21, 2024 at 11:16 PM).

• Hello HarryH ,

i installed your plugin but it killed my MCE-USB Remote. It worked again after i restored my backup. Is there a way to use your plugin but keep my MCE USB Receiver/Remote working?

• Hi ApexDE ,

like mentioned at multiple places like the change message for 0.0.10 and "Breaking change" in the middle of the post #25 . ;)
    You can prevent the Addon from overwriting your remote control settings, if you drop a empty file with the name "argon40_rc.lock" in the ".config" folder.

touch /storage/.config/argon40_rc.lock

• Oh gosh, haven't seen this. Sorry and thanks :)

i got the Argon Fan working again using your plugin, well done!

Why isn't the plugin in the LibreElec repository?

Edited 2 times, last by ApexDE (April 21, 2024 at 3:17 PM).