LE 11.0 added lvm2, luks (dm-crypt, veracrypt), mdraid, ext4 encryption

• Release version 11.0.3-231022

download link sky42 LibreELEC community builds

based on https://libreelec.tv/2023/07/20/libreelec-nexus-11-0-3/

- upstream update now with RPi5 (as is)

- added linux (RPi5): enable MD, DM and more encryption

RPi5 is untested, becaus i could not order one yet. Hopefully tomorrow i can order one and if i am lucky at the end of the month i have one.

diff of my source
    https://github.com/LibreELEC/Libr…v:11.0.3-231022

• Hi Sky, Pls can you advise how to override this "LibreELEC-Generic-BT2020.x86_64-sky42-11.0.3-#231022.img" to the community version" each that I try to upgrade to LE 12 alpher or downgrade to LE 10 , it wont work, I get this error message on the screen.

Any suggestions.

Thanks

• The Generic-BT2020 is a devices that official LE does not know and therefor cross device updates are not working.
    1st update to sky42 Generic (not BT2020) version, then you can use a official LE version for update, because the device Generic is known by official LE.

• Thank you sky42 for great job! Are there any instructions on how to actually use the encryption feature? I want /storage to be fully encrypted, but unsure how to do that. Is there some hook I could pre-load to run from boot partition (or specify on kernel command line)? My goal is to decrypt user data by fetching key from network, so this would definitely require some hook to run

• le3b nice to see somebody else to be interessted to encrypt user data

here is the place you can use
    https://github.com/sky42src/Libre…ripts/init#L604
    last line in your "mount-storage.sh" should be
    mount_part "$disk" "/storage" "rw,noatime"
    or something else that does the job

for fast testing i use kernel command line and nfs backend (that is encrypted)
    add to your kernel command line "ip=dhcp disk=NFS=server:/kodi/21/client,vers=4 ipv6.disable=1" normally in /flash/syslinux.cfg
    that works with the official image too

And i already build LE12 Generic, but did not upload it or opened a new thread for it. Testing it for 4 days now with my new Intel N100 box (not yet checked out the part encrypotion).

• Hi sky42: thanks for the pointers, and they are the good ones, and I'm pretty sure they would have worked should I have relied on wired network, but I'm making it difficult for myself by trying to build this for my raspberry pi3 boxes which work over wifi.

My ultimate goal is to be able to disable every player in my network by turning off a single machine, not just from playing content, but also from third party accessing any logs, history, or caches after physically removing device. My previous setup was with OSMC over initrd, with initializing interface using wpa_supplicant and then asking NAS for disk decryption key and decrypting root; however lately I cannot make initrd work with osmc. Approach that LibreELEC has (read/only root) also works, as root partition is static, so encrypting only /storage is sufficient.

With your build I almost succeeded, and here were the issues I faced:

- wlan driver will not work, as it requires loaded modules

- once you get modules loaded, they still don't work due to missing firmware

I used a plugin in /flash/post-sysroot.sh , and made it invoke a variant of /usr/sbin/kernel-overlays-setup, but was still unable to make a builtin wifi module work. With that said, an external 802.11AC module did work, and I was looking to use it anyway, so that hurdle I did pass, but then without wpa_supplicant I had to use something else;

- connmanctl requires interactive session to connect, and

- iwctl hangs, I think because it too requires an agent service running (the one spawned by systemd later)

for now I settled with just shrinking /storage partition to make space for encrypted data, and creating systemd service, which forces itself before kodi, and it mounts encrypted partition over .kodi and all other non-dot directories

If you are willing to have wpa_supplicant added to the build (which really serves no other purpose than my specific configuration) I could try again making /storage fully encrypted using air-supplied key. Not sure if that is worth the effort, but I leave it up to you.

Thanks again for the build, it got me much further than before

• Sorry LE and WLAN we are not friends. I always use wired.

The .kodi mount in a extra partition I did too for testing. You even can do that with ext4 FS encryption without extra partition. But the ext4 in FS encryptuon is kind of bad documented.

My goal was/is the same: take out one fully encrypted system and all the rest is gone no cache or metadata left.

NBDE with tang and clevis is very cool for that. I do that all the time with any RHEL and clones. At work with hundreds of servers.

• Sorry LE and WLAN we are not friends. I always use wired.

The .kodi mount in a extra partition I did too for testing. You even can do that with ext4 FS encryption without extra partition. But the ext4 in FS encryptuon is kind of bad documented.

My goal was/is the same: take out one fully encrypted system and all the rest is gone no cache or metadata left.

NBDE with tang and clevis is very cool for that. I do that all the time with any RHEL and clones. At work with hundreds of servers.

TIL about tang & clevis!

• I just downloaded your build for raspberry pi 5. Libreelec starts, Kodi starts. Now I would like to try crypt components: I have an external hard disk with one truecrypt partition and I would like this partition is automounted (without manually insert password) when I connect it through USB port. Can I have a guide to test it?

• Release version 11.0.4-240109

download link sky42 LibreELEC community builds

based on https://libreelec.tv/2023/12/23/libreelec-nexus-11-0-4/

- upstream update
    - kodi: update to 2ab8777

- upstream update
    - added Generic-ADL10 devices based on Generic-BT2020
    with Alder Lake max 10 bit from smp
    Intel Alder Lake 2160p @ 23.976 Hz passthrough HD Audio dropouts (i7-1270p/N100)

my source diff
    https://github.com/LibreELEC/Libr…v:11.0.4-240109