SAMBA password authentication

• I've downloaded and installed the v11 nightly from 14/04/2023 and set it to use password authentication for SAMBA. However, when I connect via my Windows PC I'm not asked for a password. Is there a new option I need to set/unset somewhere?

• lampahojd
    April 5, 2023 at 6:13 AM
  • Read it, not sure its the same problem. lampahojd seems to be talking about defaults and the username/password not being recognised. My problem is not defaults it when I explicitly set LibreElec to request a password and it doesn't. I'm just given access to the RPi4 with no authorisation.

Little more information: I can copy files to/from the HDD connected to the RPi4 and delete them but I can't rename them.

Edited once, last by LybsterKodi (April 15, 2023 at 3:06 PM).

• Tried it -

LibreELEC (community): nightly-20230414-03cdde3 (RPi4.arm)

KPi:~ # systemctl stop samba

Failed to stop samba.service: Unit samba.service not loaded.

KPi:~ # /usr/lib/samba/samba-config

/usr/lib/samba/smbd-config: /storage/.cache/services/samba.conf: line 7: Light: not found

Is there a specific directory I should try to run it in?

I'm also confused. If the samba service isn't loaded and running how is samba working?

• Sorry, the service is called smbd. I've updated the post.

Code
    KPi:~ # /usr/lib/samba/samba-config
    /usr/lib/samba/smbd-config: /storage/.cache/services/samba.conf: line 7: Light: not found

Please post the output of cat /storage/.cache/services/samba.conf. You may like to modify your user name/password.

• I think its more than just the password logon that's wrong. I'm trying to sort out some miss-named thumbnails (OK in the RPi3 but not here - mainly case differences) and whilst doing so found a number of videosseemed to have vanished - mild hard drive corruption so they could be recovered.

I keep making an attempt to switch to the RPi4 but keep having to revert to the RPi3s. I had hoped that this time it would have worked but I'm beginning to doubt it.

Sorry to sound so negative but I started this journey September 2021 and I'm still not there.

• I did have an & in the password. Changed it and no difference so far. I can't reboot for a couple of hours since its busy recording.

Some thoughts went through my head when I read your two posts

1. why do you restrict the characters typed into a password field

2. if you do restrict them why don't you warn the user that their password is invalid (preferably why as well) and prevent it being stored

3. I know its low risk and I should have said something years ago but you should not be storing the password itself

I'll let you know tomorrow if the Pi needs a password after rebooting.

I've just rebooted.

The bad news is that changing the password whilst TVHeadend is recording caused things to lock up and forced to reboot. I'll be explaining to my friend tomorrow that the rugby he wanted to watch has vanished :(

On the good news side I'm now being prompted to log in and it looks as though (no idea why) the samba password having invalid characters was what was causing a 30seconds + when the HDD was coming out of spin down state.

Edited 2 times, last by LybsterKodi: Merged a post created by LybsterKodi into this post. (April 16, 2023 at 3:41 PM).