Samba service- query about default settings and users

• Hi.

With the generic 11.0.1 LE on an Intel NUC 11th gen I'm wondering about the LE settings/services/samba service. It can be enabled and protected via a username and pass.

So I enabled it and set a username and pass and tried to access it from a Linux machine (via Dolphin) and it seemed to work..except it didn't seem to trigger an auth dialog everr, which made me ssh to the NUC and do testparm to see that the default samba settings were what's in .config/samba.conf.sample which meant both public = yes for the shares and guest account=root globally. I don't want anon access so I removed those lines and restarted LE / the smbd service and after it doesn't seem possible to access the samba share via the same linux machine and Dolphin (the username and pass given in the LE settings/services/samba service do not appear to work). Am I doing something wrong / having the wrong expectations? I would ideally like for a couple of the sample shares to be available and writable behind a specific username/pass (and it would be great it it worked from Windows too but one step at a time :) )

• The used (auto generated) config file is /run/samba/smb.conf.

It is assembled from /storage/.config./samba.conf if existing or else /etc/samba/smb.conf and combined with the settings.

• Hi, cheers. /run/samba/smb.conf rhymes with the /storage/.config/samba.conf. I've set.

I'm not sure how it rhymes with the username/pass I can set in the LE services / samba settings (I haven't seen any sign that it is employed when attempting to open the shares, the username and pass is merely rejected)

Normally I would create a new local user on the host system and add it as a samba user but I thought user doesn't matter as long as a writable share can be authentication-protected (and read somewhere that LE isn't meant to be a multi-user system).

The only thing the journal for smbd shows after a failed login attempt is

`parse_dfs_path: can't parse hostname from path <ip>`

• Can confirm the issue. Changes to the samba configuration are only applied after reboot.

A work around via ssh is:

Code
    systemctl stop smbd
    /usr/lib/samba/samba-config
    systemctl start smbd