ProjectM for LibreELEC (Nexus) 11 Beta2 (Generic) ?

• The Generic x86_64 image switched to GBM/V4L2 graphics which means we use OpenGLES rendering not OpenGL required for ProjectM. The Generic-Legacy image still uses older X11 and OpenGL approach, and ProjectM should be available there, but then you lose HDR support. The Goom visualiser is OpenGLES compatible and similar to Project M.

• chewitt - I installed LibreELEC (Nexus) 11 Beta2 (Generic-legacy build) and ProjectM is unfortunately also unavailable,

Goom: :/ Not certain if you meant ShaderToy (which is available for both the LibreELEC (Nexus) 11 Beta2 Generic and Generic-legacy builds) but Goom is a fairly simplistic visualization that does not currently support the wide variety of user generated visualization presets.

Thankfully, I was able to downgrade back to LibreELEC 10.0.4 (Generic build) without too much trouble in order to get the ProjectM add-on back.

• chewitt - I installed LibreELEC (Nexus) 11 Beta2 (Generic-legacy build) and ProjectM is unfortunately also unavailable,

Goom: :/ Not certain if you meant ShaderToy (which is available for both the LibreELEC (Nexus) 11 Beta2 Generic and Generic-legacy builds) but Goom is a fairly simplistic visualization that does not currently support the wide variety of user generated visualization presets.

Thankfully, I was able to downgrade back to LibreELEC 10.0.4 (Generic build) without too much trouble in order to get the ProjectM add-on back.

Change to build ProjectM for LE11 Generic-legacy has been added https://github.com/LibreELEC/LibreELEC.tv/pull/7553 expect the addon to be available in the next day or so

• :/ Possibly related: Note that after installing LibreELEC (Nexus) 11 Beta2 (Generic-legacy build), the Shadertoy add-on seems to be reliant on libGLESv2.so.2:

error <general>: Unable to load /storage/.kodi/addons/visualization.shadertoy/visualization.shadertoy.so.20.3.0, reason: libGLESv2.so.2: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

• If you installed add-on's with graphics dependencies under GBM and then swapped to X11 you will need to remove the add-ons, clear the add-on package cache, then reinstall the add-ons; else you will have add-ons with GLES dependencies on a GL platform. The same is true if you go in the other direction.

• chewitt Thank you! After clearing the add-on cache and then rebooting, I was able to install the Shadertoy add-on which is now working without issue on LibreELEC (Nexus) 11 Beta2 (Generic-legacy build).

heitbaum I don't yet see the ProjectM add-on available (within Look and feel > Visualization) - but will keep checking periodically.

• Greetings chewitt. I've been lurking on this thread and watching the available add-ons for Nexus and projectM is still a no-show. I see your involvement at github, but no activity since late February. Would you please provide a status update?

Thx, jasn

Edited once, last by jasn (May 9, 2023 at 4:38 PM).

• Change to build ProjectM for LE11 Generic-legacy has been added https://github.com/LibreELEC/LibreELEC.tv/pull/7553 expect the addon to be available in the next day or so

The Generic x86_64 image switched to GBM/V4L2 graphics which means we use OpenGLES rendering not OpenGL required for ProjectM. The Generic-Legacy image still uses older X11 and OpenGL approach, and ProjectM should be available there, but then you lose HDR support. The Goom visualiser is OpenGLES compatible and similar to Project M.

Status Update: Drinking morning coffee and trying to work up some enthusiasm for Intel CPU hardware. I'm struggling..

Sadly not seeing any activity on github since February. Updating ProjectM to GBM/V4L2 must be a total PITA, I expect, and wondering if it will ever catch up to the latest versions of LE?

chewitt

heitbaum

• Hey all, just updated my Libreelec to 12 nighty (LibreELEC-Generic-legacy.x86_64-12.0-nightly-20231218-865d980.img.gz).

I see projectm and installed it, however it does not run.

Running latest nightly on a X64 machine, with a Radeon 6900XT graphics card.

Using the legacy nightlies it's working.
    Deleted the addon and settings, went to non-legacy, installed projectm 20.2.0.1, but it's not working.

Log says this:

Code
    2023-12-18 19:34:41.427 T:2964    error <general>: Unable to load /storage/.kodi/addons/visualization.projectm/visualization.projectm.so.20.2.0, reason: libGL.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
    2023-12-18 19:34:41.427 T:2964    error <general>: IAddonInstanceHandler::CreateInstance: visualization.projectm returned bad status "Permanent failure" during instance creation
    2023-12-18 19:34:41.427 T:2964  critical <general>: Visualization: failed to create instance for 'visualization.projectm' and not usable!
  • Fietspomp the latest projectM Add-on (version 20.2.0.1) supplied by Team Kodi should work without issue on Generic-legacy LibreELEC-Generic-legacy.x86_64-11.0.3

If you are running one of the newer Libreelec 12.x Nightly builds, there is a good chance that the proejctM add-on is not yet compatible.

• Have you removed the previously downloaded .zip from /storage/.kodi/addons/packages? .. because Kodi will reinstall using the already downloaded zip instead of redownloading if the file exists (deleting the add-on and settings via the GUI is not enough). The log snippet looks like it's trying to use something built for Xorg (needs OpenGL) wheras the GBM version would use GLES libs.

• Have you removed the previously downloaded .zip from /storage/.kodi/addons/packages? .. because Kodi will reinstall using the already downloaded zip instead of redownloading if the file exists (deleting the add-on and settings via the GUI is not enough). The log snippet looks like it's trying to use something built for Xorg (needs OpenGL) wheras the GBM version would use GLES libs.

You sir are a life-saver!

I thought removing it from GUI was enough, I searched how to remove addon cache but could not find anything.
    Removed projectm from GUI, removed zip file from packages folder and now it's working!

Thanks ever so much!

• Fietspomp the latest projectM Add-on (version 20.2.0.1) supplied by Team Kodi should work without issue on Generic-legacy LibreELEC-Generic-legacy.x86_64-11.0.3

If you are running one of the newer Libreelec 12.x Nightly builds, there is a good chance that the proejctM add-on is not yet compatible.

If I understand correctly, this should be able to compile for ARM/aarch64?

The RPi 4/5 should be "beefy" enough for nice visualizations. As stated by popcornmix in this issue/pullrequest (mentioned above), they could build and run it. Unfortunately, they do not provide a release.

Is there any chance someone can build this and provide a ".zip" for the Raspberry Pi 4/5?
    Or help me doing so?

Or even better: include it in the standard distribution.