OpenATV vs. Subtitles

• Hello,

If I play a video that comes from a recording of OpenATV with LibreELEC, the subtitles do not appear even though there are.

I would need this great mediacenter to play the videos with the subtitles displayed and synchronized.

Thanks.

• I'm not familiar with OpenATV .. so how does it save/record media and what format/location are subs being save to (or embedded in)? - And how are you playing back the recordings? (from a shared, IPTV list, etc.)?

• Thanks for your help. I used to record shows and movies from a satellite receiver on a external hdd. I don't know which file is the one that contains the subs. There are 7 files with extensions .EIT .TS .JPG .CUTS .AP .META .SC. I play recordings with a Raspberry Pi 3.

• OpenATV is one of the many images you can run on Enigma (2?) satellite receivers. The recording format will be MPEG2 transport stream - and will be in the .ts file.

The .ts file will contain the audio and video streams along with the subtitles. Subtitles on DVB TV can be sent in two main ways - DVB Subtitles and DVB Teletext subtitles (teletext subtitles can be used even if there is no other text service on the channel). How you access them from within Kodi will depend on which type of subtitle is being used - and how you are playing the .ts file

For instance in the UK Freesat uses DVB Subtitles but Sky uses Page 888 on Teletext to carry subtitles. This means that recordings of BBC services on satellite have both DVB Subtitles and DVB Teletext subtitles...

What channels on what satellite are you having issues with - and are you playing the recordings via a PVR plug-in or just by browsing to the recordings via the Videos->Files menu in Kodi?

• Thanks for your help. I used to record (Movistar +) Accion, Comedia, Drama... on Astra 19.2E. I browse the recordings via Videos->Files menu.

Can you see the subtitles in VLC? It looks as if they may be DVB Subtitles according to a transponder scan I found - but it would be good to confirm. If you are able to Dropbox/GoogleDrive/Wetransfer a short clip of a recording that has subtitles that would be useful. It's a lot easier to analyse a real transport stream file. (You should only need to upload the .ts file)

• VLC displays the subtitles. There are subtitles. I confirm. It's not a necessity to upload a sample I think. Wihich plugins of LibreELEC / Kodi can read .ts stream ?

• While playing a movie, enter the Subtitle Settings menu and make sure Subtitles are turned on (enabled). You can also see what subtitle if any is detected.

Enter the on-screen menu, then press the right arrow key 4 times until you see the subtitle menu.

Edited once, last by blueribb (January 8, 2023 at 9:35 PM).

• VLC displays the subtitles. There are subtitles. I confirm. It's not a necessity to upload a sample I think. Wihich plugins of LibreELEC / Kodi can read .ts stream ?

Uploading is only really a route to tell us which of the two subtitle standards used on satellite TV your broadcaster is using. Now you've played them in VLC can you answer whether they are DVB Subtitles or Teletext subtitles? If not then a sample might still be useful.

There is no plugin required for DVB or Teletext subtitles in Kodi - it's a core function of the player.

As blueribb has asked - you are enabling the subtitle stream in Kodi by going to the subtitle menu when you are playing your .ts file and selecting the right subtitle stream (there may be more than one) aren't you?

The BBC in the UK uses both DVB and Teletext subtitles on satellite - so I get a choice of both streams in Kodi when I go to enable and chose my subtitles when playing back a .ts from my VU+ receiver running Enigma 2 and OpenVix.

• Hello blueribb, I will do your way as soon as possible. I keep you in touch. Thank you.

Hello noggin, I think I have my answer. I will do what blueribb has said. It sounds to be a good solution. Thanks.

• blueribb, press 4 times the right arrow does not work. No subtitles are detected.

noggin, It is not teletext but subtitles. There is a choice between many languages : spanish, catalan...

• No subtitles are available with Windows Edge Browser

No subtitles are available with Windows Media Player

No subtitles are available with Kodi on Windows 10

Teletext Spanish subtitles are available using MPC-BE x64 Media Player (Windows 10)

Teletext Spanish subtitles are available using VLC Media Player (Windows 10)

It would seem Libreelec does not detect Teletext subtitles.

• I give you a sample of a recording :

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1MAbplW…iew?usp=sharing

That file contains Teletext Subtitles (aka WST Subtitles) not DVB Subtitles. There's one stream on page 888.

I'm not on LibreElec at the moment, but in a recent Kodi build on my Mac when I play that file you uploaded I get a standard Teletext icon between Bookmarks and Subtitles. When I select that I get a screen of teletext. Entering 888 (a good bet for teletext subtitles these days) I get some subtitles.

Media Info suggests there may be some on p801, 802, 803, 804, and 858 as well possibly? I'm not too sure how Media Info reflects subtitle streams inside teletext packets.

I know that sometimes WST Teletext subtitles DO appear as valid subtitle streams in Kodi (BBC channels usually offer you two subtitle streams - one DVB, one WST) - but it may required them to be flagged a certain way.

Or something may have regressed - when I am near a Pi 4B running a nightly build I'll have a look.

noggin, It is not teletext but subtitles. There is a choice between many languages : spanish, catalan...

The subtitles in the file you uploaded ARE Teletext Subtitles. It IS Teletext...

(There are two widespread ways of sending subtitles in DVB. As I said - one uses the teletext/WST standard - which sends text as characters, the other is DVB Subtitles, which sends text as graphics, a bit like DVD Subtitles work. The BBC uses both formats on satellite - as Sky receivers are WST Subtitles (also on p888) and Freesat boxes are DVB Subtitles)

Edited 2 times, last by noggin: Merged a post created by noggin into this post. (January 13, 2023 at 3:40 PM).