LE12 & LE11 & LE10 NUC11 Audio lost until reboot [sample file]

• er, no, that is about resume from sleep.

hdmi audio getting lost everytime you play and stop media is kinda a basic no-go

I am also experiencing this issue on my NUC 11 Core i3, latest stable LE 11.0.1. I leave mine running full time with no sleep or power savings enabled

Audio is normal the whole episode or movie, but on next play there could be no audio. I cannot reliably replicate this though! I can sometimes play multiple episodes back to back no problem, and sometimes I lose it overnight when I go to play something the next day. Or when playing the next episode of the evening.

• I recently had audio loss on a Widevine stream (RPi), and have posted a log on the dev channel. The issue seems to appear when the stream switches to another audio channel while playing.

Shortly after my bug report they fixed something on the Inputstream Adaptive add-on:

[HLSTree] Fix get file extension from segment url

So the fix is probably an Inputstream Adaptive update, which most users will get automatically. No need to update LE.

• Great news! Until LE12 is released with that fix (or maybe 11.0.2 will have it?), How can I tell what kind of audio stream a file has to see if I can notice a pattern? Thanks!

• Great news! Until LE12 is released with that fix (or maybe 11.0.2 will have it?), How can I tell what kind of audio stream a file has to see if I can notice a pattern? Thanks!

As mentioned, you have to wait for the add-on update, which means an Inputstream Adaptive backport to Nexus in this case.

If you have trouble with a file (no Widevine stream), post a log.

Please provide a full debug log.

How to post a log (wiki)

1. Enable debugging in Settings>System Settings>Logging
    2. Restart Kodi
    3. Replicate the problem
    4. Generate a log URL (do not post/upload logs to the forum)

use "Settings > LibreELEC > System > Paste system logs" or run "pastekodi" over SSH, then post the URL link
  • Hi,

I tried again and the problem still persists both with 11.0.3 and latest 12-nightly, audio is completely broken until reboot.

TV channel „Das Erste“:

LE11: http://ix.io/4BQu

LE12: http://ix.io/4BQz

BIOS is latest v51 for NUC11PAHi5 from 19.05.23.

I made a recording of the program. I fugured, the fact that the testfile 1 now works lies in the transcoding, so I made another recording using the "pass" profile and this does kill audio: https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/g2l18sz…lic2b60c6x&dl=1

I have to disable passthrough to provoke it. Testfile1 works fine now, testfile2 breaks it: http://ix.io/4BUb

Anything more you guys need let me know.

Edited 7 times, last by Mettbrot (July 30, 2023 at 8:42 PM).

• What about 4k uhd channels? For me (using tvheadend client) they won't display with hevc-vaapi enabled.

Eg. UHD1 by Astra or SES UHD demo ( they are sat channels on Astra), or if you have paid foir it, pro7 Uhd /rtl /uhd.

Also channels requiring interleave are broken, when having to upscale to a 4k monitor (the monitor doesn't offer any other resolutions, so the box has to do the work, which it actually is capable of)

• What about 4k uhd channels? For me (using tvheadend client) they won't display with hevc-vaapi enabled.

Eg. UHD1 by Astra or SES UHD demo ( they are sat channels on Astra), or if you have paid foir it, pro7 Uhd /rtl /uhd.

Also channels requiring interleave are broken, when having to upscale to a 4k monitor (the monitor doesn't offer any other resolutions, so the box has to do the work, which it actually is capable of)

In TVH ensure you have the profile Passthrough enabled as default. That can be done through the Web UI.

In the LE PVR Add-on configuration and settings section go to Connection Settings and disable Use HTTPS. Then go to Stream Settings and enable Use HTTP streaming for channels. That will play your HEVC UHD 4K channels. You will loose the ability to pause/ff/rew live TV though.

• Yes I know that (use http streaming instead) , I mentioned that in another thread. That's like going back to the dark ages of tv without timeshift.

The whole point of my complaints were the overall regression of stuff that used to work, that got broken in LE 11 onwards and LE 10 already having a lot of problems of handling newer intel chipsets, like the mentioned problems of losing hdmi audio every other time a different format is played.

Now that Intel has given up on NUCs, I don't see any hope of this platform going anywhere beyond the capabilities of the what I called toy class devices (rpi, amlogic etc.)

• Thanks. The YouTube API error doesn't appear at the new logs. So that's obviously not the cause of the issue.

Next I'll test testfile2.TS (post #41) on my RPi (LE 11.0.3). Stay tuned.

• Any news on your testing efforts? Can someone else with a NUC11 and similar setup (5.1 setup) maybe run a quick test with the test file. yamcenutzer

I have the feeling that it’s a nuc driver issue that will not show on the pi.

• Mettbrot

I have a NUC11 i5 and played your testfile (post #41) without any issues.

Live TV as well as Movies are working just fine.

I have a 5.1 setup behind my Yamaha AVR

hope this helps.

• OK, I've tested testfile2.TS on my RPi3B+. I can replicate the issue with my AVR.

The test file has AC3 audio. If your AVR can't play all AC3 streams, you have to edit LE's passthrough setting:

1. go to Settings -> System
    2. on the bottom-left, set GUI mode to Advanced or Expert
    3. go to Audio
    4. enable Allow passthrough
    5. disable Dolby Digital (AC3) capable receiver

My AVR has Dolby Digital and DTS, but I guess it can't handle higher sampling rates on Dolby Digital.

• Well what I discovered is what unless I have AC3 and E-AC3 selected, I don't hear anything when the source is either of those two codecs.

I don't understand Passthrough Audio.. why do we need to enable it at all?

• I don't understand Passthrough Audio.. why do we need to enable it at all?

Some/Many users (esp. those with ATMOS and HD-capable audio setups) obsess over quality and pass-through will ensure Kodi processing does not "degrade" their audio experience. In practice multi-channel PCM output is close-enough to pass-through in quality that the silent majority of users probabaly can't tell the difference (or don't care enough about the difference). I personally can hear the difference, but use PCM output 99% of the time simply because it allows volume control to be done from a single remote control; enabling pass-through requires me to dig up the AVR remote instead. I do enable PT occasionally for special films, but that's not often.

• If your NUC11 has dual HDMI outputs, be sure to use #2.

I had given up on the NUC11TNHi3 which I could not get a solid audio experience from. (No audio for DTS-MA, Atmos and similar. Attempting to play videos with those audio formats broke all audio until a reboot)

A firmware update made it slightly better if I recall correctly from last year, I think it was version 0067.

I tried now recently when I had time and saw that there was a bunch of new firmwares released.

The latest as of now, 0074, did not solve it, but I remembered reading about trying different HDMI ports and using port #2 solved all my audio passthrough issues!

Perhaps firmware 0074 didn't have anything to do with it, but it in combination with HDMI #2 on LibreElec 11.0.3 has worked with all I have tried so far.