How to copy advancedsettings.xml from a USB stick into LibreELEC

• Following instructions on the KodiWIKI, I have created an advancedsettings.xml file on my Windows PC with the intention of increasing my cache memory size on my 8Gb Rpi4.

I have it on a USB stick but, as a Windows user, I have no idea how to copy and save the file into the correct location in LibreELEC.

Can anybody provide step-by-step instructions?

Thanks in advance for any help.

• If you insert your USB drive you should be able to go to Settings -> File Manager Add source and then on the right side select Profile Directory for your target and copy it.

Martin

• is box via ssh accessable ?

addon system-tools installed ?

Its a vanilla install. No SSH. I just installed "System_Tools" from the LE repository. it says it is a console-only application.

If you insert your USB drive you should be able to go to Settings -> File Manager Add source and then on the right side select Profile Directory for your target and copy it.

Martin

Thanks Martin. To where, in the Profile directory, do I copy the file?

is box via ssh accessable ?

addon system-tools installed ?

SSH now enabled

Edited 2 times, last by Frogmella: Merged a post created by Frogmella into this post. (August 6, 2022 at 8:26 PM).

• To where, in the Profile directory, do I copy the file?

AFAIK, file should be copied to /storage/.kodi/userdata/

via LE file manager:

hints for LE filemanager:

* moving goes via cursor keys

* "actions" goes via context menu => press the "C" -key

- you need to have "show hidden files and directory" active

- you need to have "show add source button" active (don't know if it is default there)

both:

=> LE config Addon => Media => General => "..."

in filemanager:

- you need to have the folder "storage" on the left side (don't know if it is default there, if NOT: => Add Source ...)

- you need to have /var/media/ or where the stick is mounted on the other side

- highlight the file you want to copy

- press the C -key (for context menu)

===

via ssh and mc:

hint for mc:

* switching between sides: via TAB key

- login via ssh

- type "mc"

- on the left side: move via cursor keys into /storage/.kodi/userdata/

- on the right side: move via cursor keys into /var/media/ (or to mount point where the usb stick is mounted)

- highlight your file you want to copy

- press F5 key (for copy between sides)

- F10 (to close mc)

- reboot

===

- watch your kodi.log if all went smooth with your advancedsettings.xml

hint:

windows text files have CR/LF

unix text files have an CR only

don't know if this has a impact here ...

• AFAIK, file should be copied to /storage/.kodi/userdata/

"in filemanager:

- you need to have the folder "storage" on the left side (don't know if it is default there, if NOT: => Add Source ...)

- you need to have /var/media/ or where the stick is mounted on the other side

- highlight the file you want to copy

- press the C -key (for context menu)"

Thanks for taking an interest.

I got here after following your excellent instructions. But in the context menu under the c-key, there is no "copy" option.

I have the following :

Select All

Add to Favourites

Rename

Delete

Make New Folder

Switch Media

View as Text

• Have your USB source on the left showing the files and enter the Profile directory showing its files on the right.

Highlight advancedsettings.xml and hit the c.

Martin

• Have your USB source on the left showing the files and enter the Profile directory showing its files on the right.

Highlight advancedsettings.xml and hit the c.

Martin

Ah I see, I had it arse about face, and.... DONE...... thanks everybody for taking an interest and helping. I've REALLY got to learn more about the operation of LE, and Linux in general.

• I got here after following your excellent instructions. But in the context menu under the c-key, there is no "copy" option.

well, I forgot it and/or thought is was clear with my sentence "AFAIK, file should be copied to /storage/.kodi/userdata/" that one need to move to that directory.

Edited once, last by GDPR-7 (August 9, 2022 at 9:40 PM).