shell script to get the lastest nightly

• as a command line user I wrote a shell script to download nightlies for updates/downgrades

script supports the newer directory structure on the nightly download server and LE 11 nightlies.

What is does

- reads out /etc/os-release to get the nightly variant from your currently running LE box

- checks the download server for last (for updates) and previous (for downgrades) nightlies

where "updates" means: to the newest on the download server (in one step ! I don't know if that always work out)

where "downgrades" means: one nightly down related to the currently running

- checks need disk space (min. ~549 MB) what the update installer needs

and only when okay it does the next 2 steps:

- downloads the choosen nightly Image from the download server and places it under ~/.update

- offers to reboot

What it doesn't do

- does (currently) NOT support boxes which are NOT Generic, Generic-legacy, RPi2, RPi4

- does NOT support switching between Generic and Generic-legacy nightlies

Requirements

- always run the lastest script version.

- you need at least a nightly on your LE box what is also currently available on the download server (URL: please see script line 44: "SERVER"), otherwise the script aborts !

Background: if the script can't find your running nightly on the download server it can't decide what is the update/downgrade related to your box.

HowTo

1. download via webbrowser from here:

2. https://gist.github.com/eldersixpack13

- don't be confuse: eldersixpack13 and JoeAverage are the same (idiot)"

3. unzip the downloaded file

4. place the get_nightly.sh on your LE box somewhere, but NOT in ~/.update or /tmp

5. to make the script executable run on linux (only once) :

chmod u+x get_nightly.sh

starting the script

- ssh into the LE box

- move to the folder where the script is stored

- run the script via command:

./get_nightly.sh

(for inexperienced linux users: it reads "./..."; (point slash ...)

Be aware:

- native tested is only Generic here (Generic-legacy and RPi* with dummy files only !)

- script might contain "plain ol' men's thinkO's" and therefore Bugs

- NO WARRANTY by me and use at you own risk.

comments, bug reports, etc. are welcome.

Coding-Hints

- shell check analyse tool reports some minor (?) problems, I'm aware of...

- piping the script through the tool "shfmt" and compare the original with the tool "meld" shows nearly the same, apart from the semicolon I use.

- IIRC, I've learned it that way on Unix System V 30 years ago or might mix it with C programming.

Anyway, to me it looks saner ending command lines with ";" -

To remove the semicolons, you might use the following command line "cat <script-name> | shfmt > <output-name>"

Changelog

Version 0.10

- today (24.07.2020) adjusted the server URL at line 44

- initial release for the new (but tentatively) download server structure

Edited 11 times, last by GDPR-7 (July 25, 2022 at 7:54 PM).

• Excluding the change in the download server structure, may I ask if there are other changes between the old 0.10 and the new one?

I downloaded it earlier this morning but I will test it tomorrow... because I had to test mine today :P

• Excluding the change in the download server structure, may I ask if there are other changes between the old 0.10 and the new one?

yes, there are changes esp. a fix for a bug I found.

always use the newest script what is currently from 19.07.2020 !

+++ EDIT +++

... from 24.07.2022 !

ping CvH

if you close/remove the elder thread could you remove the extension "(new version") from this thread ?

or drop me a note I could do it ?

Edited 2 times, last by GDPR-7: Merged a post created by JoeAverage into this post. (July 24, 2022 at 9:06 PM).

• ping CvH

it seems test3 is gone now (date: Sa 23. Jul 21:28:05 CEST 2022)

is this correct ?

if so:

to the user using my script:

+++ EDIT +++

please remove the first comment sign "#" from line 45

download the lastest script from date 24.07.2022

Edited 4 times, last by GDPR-7 (July 27, 2022 at 12:31 AM).

• I'd like everyone to stop "testing" and try watching some movies instead, or go play outdoors with the kids for a while instead of trying to act like uptime monitors for infrastructure that's being actively changed and fiddled with.

• trying to act like uptime monitors for infrastructure that's being actively changed and fiddled with.

please read (again) comment #7, first sentence, last half-sentence.

so my "trying to act like uptime monitors for infrastructure" *might* prevent to fill up this thread with user complains, no one, at least me, needs

deal ?

• I assume the date was supposed to be 24.07.2022 and not 24.07.2020.

It's clear to me, probably to most of you too, but to avoid confusing anyone unnecessarily, I wanted to soften it 👍.

• Changing the server, which is removing a comment from somewhere or deleting a line completely so as to make it work, is a major update. Changing your name at the top of the script to add your info is a minor update.

Things that impact the general usability of the script should be considered major updates.