No HDMI audio after upgrade to LE 11 Nightly 20220530

• RPi 4B / 2GB

After upgrade from LE11 nightly 20220528 using LibreELEC - Updates - Available Versions menu I was not able to get the HDMI audio output anymore.

No GUI sound, no LiveTV sound. Tried all available HDMI targets - no way. The analog output worked. Tried to force defaults in Audio properties without any positive effect.

Also sometimes after some menu selection I got black screen during Live TV watching, stopping the channel helped to get the GUI menu back .

Reverting back to 20220528 fixed the issue.

• Im using LibreELEC-RPi2.arm-11.0-nightly-20220530-2d50f5f on one of my Pi4 4GB and i have no audioproblems.

Just dropped the image in Update-folder and rebooted.

Just tested downgrade to LibreELEC-RPi4.arm-11.0-nightly-20220529-614dab2, still getting working audio.

Edited once, last by MatteN: Merged a post created by MatteN into this post. (May 31, 2022 at 9:28 AM).

• Just tested here on my RPi4 8GB and HDMI output works just fine.

Here's my test environment :

Device: RPi4 8GB (with latest eeprom )

LibreELEC : LE11 - master - 02/06/2022 (self built)

Storage: 128GB SSD (USB)

Sound: RPi4 (HDMI)-> Soundbar (HDMI ARC) -> TV (HDMI)

Testing: Kodi UI sounds + Dolby Atmos Demos working OK with both PASSTHROUGH enabled and disabled.

• Thanks for the feedback, I tried to debug but can't see any error in log, just the HDMI audio is silent. To be tested with another HDMI device.

• Thanks for the feedback, I tried to debug but can't see any error in log, just the HDMI audio is silent. To be tested with another HDMI device.

If reverting to a previous nigthly fix the issue ,then it rules out a possible hw problem (hdmi cable,microHDMI adapter or HDMI port).

• It must be a SW issue for sure but I don't know what's the breaking change between 20220528 / 20220530 and later

. But it looks (github) that some ALSA libraries were upgraded...

• On 28/05 there was a RPi kernel bump too,but 28/05 build works for you if i understood correctly .

And yes,there are a few ALSA related commits ,but if those are to blame,it would mean that it doesn't affect all Rpi4 revisions (it wouldn't be the first time when this happens ).

• I can add a +1 to that issue, on a 4GB RPi4, dual headed (hdmi0 to 4K TV, hdmi1 to HDMI 1.4 Receiver).

Reverting to 20220528-7faa80c gives me the audio back.

NO AUDIO - 20220601-0e57a30 debug log: http://ix.io/3ZbJ

GOOD AUDIO - 20220528-7faa80c debug log: http://ix.io/3ZbO

I have the same Pi model and revision (Raspberry Pi 4 Model B Rev 1.1) solely connected to a TV that doesn't exhibit the issue at all when using a post 20220528-7faa80c image.

GOOD AUDIO - 20220601-0e57a30 debug log: http://ix.io/3ZbP

GOOD AUDIO - 20220528-7faa80c debug log: http://ix.io/3ZbU

Both Pis were on the January Bootloader EEPROM when generating those debug logs. Updating to the April Bootloader EEPROM didn't change a thing.

I'm hoping that these will help see something. Ask for more data if needed!

Nico

Edited 3 times, last by camelreef (June 2, 2022 at 3:44 PM).

• The same issue here with LE 11 Nightly 20220607 (kernel 5.15.43). No audio on HDMI output (vc4-hdmi-0 MAI PCM i2s-hifi-0). Tried to change several Audio settings options without any positive effect.

Test with attached Lenovo USB Soundbar works fine (both available Analog and S/PDIF audio outputs).

As I am also experiencing an occassional screen flashing during browsing GUI menu when HDMI audio output is selected, the issue looks to be more deep and maybe the latest vc4-hdmi drivers are bad or there's a kernel issue.

Without any hint from developers where to look / what to try to get the HDMI audio working again, I had to revert back to latest working LE 11 Nightly 20220528-7faa80c (kernel 5.15.38).

• The same issue here with LE 11 Nightly 20220607 (kernel 5.15.43). No audio on HDMI output (vc4-hdmi-0 MAI PCM i2s-hifi-0). Tried to change several Audio settings options without any positive effect.

Test with attached Lenovo USB Soundbar works fine (both available Analog and S/PDIF audio outputs).

As I am also experiencing an occassional screen flashing during browsing GUI menu when HDMI audio output is selected, the issue looks to be more deep and maybe the latest vc4-hdmi drivers are bad or there's a kernel issue.

Without any hint from developers where to look / what to try to get the HDMI audio working again, I had to revert back to latest working LE 11 Nightly 20220528-7faa80c (kernel 5.15.38).

More action about this here: https://github.com/LibreELEC/LibreELEC.tv/issues/6575

• hmmmm... My forced EDID loading was suddenly messing things up and killing audio.

I've let LibreELEC deal naturally with the EDID data sent by both TV and AVR and audio has returned.

The double whammy is that the problem that hed led me to force saved EDID files has also disappeared. When? Who knows, I haven't tried things without forced EDID in months...

Github bug updated.

• I'm also using the "forced EDID" method ,generated by getedid for my TV and AVR (soundbar) and so far had no issues with HDMI sound .

So maybe there's something related to EDID,considering that in your case the "old/different TV" EDID was the culprit.

I wonder if the OP is forcing EDID too and also from a different TV (that would be a big coincidence :D )

• It looks opposite in my case. I have no forced EDID but lost HDMI audio after 28/5. Maybe my old Telefunken TV is not supported correctly anymore.

Could you please share your working EDID? It could help me to compare a difference and I could try forcing it.

Edited once, last by ghtester (June 10, 2022 at 11:51 PM).

• OK, so I (hopefully) have found a solution with a forced edid file from LG TV which was working completely with audio.

The more detailed story after upgrade to latest available LE 11 nightly-20220609-c66e09a:

At first I tried to uncomment hdmi_force_hotplug=1 in config.txt & rebooted, the issue persisted. So I connected another TV (LG) to HDMI0 instead of Telefunken and the audio was working on it.

Then I created the edid-HDMI-A-1.bin file using getedid create command, disconnected LG, connected Telefunken and the audio was working!

After that I found about 1 year old and forgotten edid-HDMI-A-2.bin file in /storage/.config/firmware/edid/ folder together with fresh edid-HDMI-A-1.bin . Tried to move both files to another folder & rebooted. The audio was still working with Telefunken TV. Then I tried to copy edid-HDMI-A-2.bin back to edid folder to check if it was the root of the issue.

After reboot there was no audio. So I deleted the edid-HDMI-A-2.bin and supposed audio should work after reboot but it did not... :-/ Then I put edid-HDMI-A-1.bin back to edid folder, rebooted and audio works... It's a bit strange behaviour but for now I'll keep this edid file forced which looks to be a most reliable 'solution' for me.