Adding boot parameters to the rpi (and any arm build probably)

• Another bad day started for the rpi. After upgrading to today's 20220723 build, the green led did not stop blinking for like 15-20 minutes and commands like htop were not available again while .

However, this time it even decided to drop the wired (= could not connect wirelessly again) network connection and kill my putty session! It let me reconnect though.

Good thing I had btop handy to check what it is doing. The problem is, it was doing nothing really. All its 4 cores were at <5%, there was no io activity (unless btop fails to grab stats for the sd card, network activity was at 10kb/s and the only odd thing I noticed was some rm command that ran once and stopped. I could not check what it was deleting because its line was too short, but it finished doing so.

Finally, the above behavior is still observed after 3 boots: reboot > download the update and let it update > boot to that mess > reboot > boot again to that mess > reboot > boot to that mess for the third time. And I am now waiting for it to stop and issue a poweroff.

Also, at this last boot, there is this thing in dmesg that repeats many times

Code
    [  273.156515] hdmi-audio-codec hdmi-audio-codec.0.auto: ASoC: error at snd_soc_dai_startup on i2s-hifi: -19
    [  273.156536]  MAI: soc_pcm_open() failed (-19)

Normally cec would complain about not being able to connect, and although such messages did appear on the previous dmesg outputs along with the one above, now only the one above fills dmesg.

Edited once, last by jim_p (July 23, 2022 at 5:50 AM).

• I had this idea a few minutes ago: I will stop kodi, so this error will stop and I will downgrade to the previous nightly, because it may solve this mess!

So I sshed to it and when I ran "systemctl stop kodi" it freaking REBOOTED! I connected again, checked dmesg again to see that both messages for cec timing out and the one above are still there. And they stopped when I stopped kodi. In fact, even the reboot command was done instantly with kodi stoppped.

If anyone has any idea for the above, please share. Yesterday's commits are way too many for me to understand which may have caused the issue. I am now waiting for it to downgrade to 20220721.

---edit

If you exclude some serious input lag after the first boot on 20220721 that made me mad, things are back to normal with it and only the cec timeout message shows up in dmesg.

• Check journal instead of dmesg, most likely you're seeing kodi crashing on startup which can happen if you have pvr or other binary addons installed - remove the addons and install them again.

Addons are currently being rebuilt, they should be available soon.

so long,

Hias

• If you exclude addons like network or system tools, I do not think I have any other binary addons installed, including pvr.

I will check journalctl though... once I get tomorrow's update.

• I just did the first update after that annoying 20220723. It is 20220724 that contains the commit for the binary addons.

Once it booted, I tried to connect via ssh and it dropped my connection right before entering the password. I tried again and it then let me login with no issues.

However, the green led was blinking constantly, so I checked dmesg and the above error about hdmi-audio-codec had already appeared 6 times. After that, it stopped and the cec error took over and kept showing up until I issued a reboot.

After the reboot, the hdmi-audio-codec error filled dmesg again and after ~2 minutes, the system rebooted itself! It literally showed "the system is going down for a reboot now" and dropped my ssh session!

After that reboot, dmesg showed the error message for 6 times as it did above and then continuted with the one for cec.

Here is the journalctl output from that last boot.

http://ix.io/45y1

And one from a new boot that the hdmi-audio-codec fills everything

http://ix.io/45y2

---edit

It freaking rebooted itself while I was checking journalctl! It seems that unlike the cec error, the one about hdmi-audio-codec is more serious, because it causes the system to reboot after a while. So, consider the above pastes the outputs of a good boot and a bad boot respectively. Do I downgrade to the working build or do I open a bug report on github?

Edited 3 times, last by jim_p (July 25, 2022 at 5:45 AM).

• By that, do you mean kodi's log only, regardless if it reboots or crashes?

Shall I also follow this advice here and remove virtual.network-tools and virtual.system-tools?

HiassofT
    July 23, 2022 at 6:51 PM

Edited once, last by jim_p (July 25, 2022 at 12:43 PM).

• Well... there is NOTHING under .kodi/addons right now! Where did all my addons go?!

Code
    rpi3b:~/.kodi/addons # ls
    packages  temp

There is a .kodi.FAILED folder alongside .kodi that contains everything that is not in there. What shall I do now?

• Yea, this has happened to me again a couple of times before. It is just the first shock I get when I see the .kodi folder empty (or lacking the "structure" I spent HOURS to make) :D

As I said above, I do not connect it to a tv because wifi coverage on my tv's room is poor and, combined with the rpi's wifi poor reception, makes the whole thing a big test of patience :P

So, first things first. Do I stop kodi and replace the existing folder with the failed one (rm -r .kodi && mv .kodi.FAILED .kodi) and then move on with deleting the binary addons? Or do I connect it to the tv, just to check what happens? I am not really interested in booting to a stock kodi with no addons and with the estuary skin.

• There you go.

http://ix.io/45AD

This is the newest of 9 crash logs from everything that crashed today! There is also another crash log from July 13th. I know it is irrelevant to the above, but I am just mentioning it because there is a kodi_crash.log file which is a symlink to it.

• Just scrolled down a bit in your log and have to add:

Remove all banned repositories and addons if you want to get further support on this forum.

newphreak
    March 15, 2016 at 1:02 AM

so long,

Hias

• Ok, just don't complain about my third party addons and repos. They are not gonna be removed until I decide to stop using the nightly.

I did mention my third party addons and repos on early June (message 36 as seen above), but I got no reaction about them back then. Since they are the main reason I decided to use kodi 20 alphas and thus the nightly, I am not going to remove them, but neither I will ask support for anything about them.

And so far, the weird behavior of kodi while installing some of those third party addons has provided me with more knowledge than I expected.

Besides that, for me, the addons from the main repo are more troublesome than the third party ones, e.g. youtube and twitch with their api keys, speedtest which does not yet have a python 3.9 compatible version on the main repo, simple iptv (that I forgot I had it installed) that caused the recent issue etc.

I keep the nightly x64 installation without any addons, excluding confluence, but I update it twice a month now because I can not stand that wifi inconsistency. There is also a dlna bug (since v18 at least) I want to file to kodi's github because it has not yet been fixed. Plus an already open bug for the subtitles' font (by me) that I want to check its progress.

Leaving all the above aside, I removed pvr.iptvsimple from the kodi.failed folder and when I stopped kodi, it instantly renamed that folder back to .kodi! Is that normal?

---edit

I forgot to mention that I have not connected it to a tv yet, because I am still looking for a way that will allow me to work with minimal annoyances over ssh.

Edited once, last by jim_p (July 26, 2022 at 11:16 AM).

• 3 updates (including today's) later and the error about hdmi-audio-codec is still there. I even removed the third party binary addon that I had, but nothing changed.

When it just happens at boot, e.g. now that it happened "only" 6 times, right before the system finishes its boot process, things are generally fine and I can connect via ssh and do stuff.

When it happens after all that, it fills dmesg and I must stop kodi so as to do anything because the lag is very annoying and the green led does not stop blinking! Earlier, it even disconnected me 10 seconds after stopping it and returning to the prompt!

I will keep updating it daily until Sunday. If the forementioned issue is still there, I will probably leave it aside and update it weekly or biweekly, just to be on track until the next alpha of kodi.

• We need full logs (probably pastecrash to see what's going on), very likely it won't matter if you wait a day, a week or a month, that issue won't magically resolve itself.

But as you chose to install piracy addons we're going to tell you to remove them before you'll get support - you agreed to these rules when registering on our forum (and this topic is NOT open for discussion).

So do yourself and us a favor, do a clean installation of latest nightly and then post full logs from that.

so long,

Hias