LibreELEC-RPi4.arm-9.2.8.img

• I could not install LibreELEC-RPi4.arm-9.2.8.img on Raspberry Pi 4 Model B - 2GB.

It informs me that "Start.elf: is not compatible.

This board requires newer software. It does not allow me to install Kodi 9.

Do you have any solution for this problem?

Thank you for your attention

• The latest iterations of RPi4 board need newer firmware than we ship(ped) some time ago in the LE 9.2.8 image. You either need to run LE10 or venture into experiments with the newer boot files copied to the LE 9.2 image (Start.elf and one other, I forget the name).

Unless you have a really good reason to need LE 9.2, the LE10 codebase is some way ahead and should be used.

• I'm also having this issue. I run multiple rpis with LibreElec 9.x, including rpi1 (no LE10 image) and rpi4 and am also using Hyperion (does not work on LE10) so really want to stick with 9.x.

Just got a RPi4 2Gb to upgrade one of my systems but am getting this issue.

Tried copying start.elf from LE10 but this is not working.. you mention another file that needs to be copied.. any idea?

edit:

Tried copying start.elf and fixup.dat as mentioned in other threads but I get Invalid ELF header: 'start.elf'

Thanks!

Edited once, last by jordanwalsh (June 25, 2022 at 11:27 PM).

• I got it working...

I copied the following from the LE11 nightly build boot partition (im sure it would work from LE10 but didnt test this exact combo of files):

bcm2711-rpi-4-b.dtb

start.elf

fixup.dat

• I got it working...

I copied the following from the LE11 nightly build boot partition (im sure it would work from LE10 but didnt test this exact combo of files):

bcm2711-rpi-4-b.dtb

start.elf

fixup.dat

I was relieved to see that I am not the only one with this issue.

Question:

Did you copy and replace those files after flashing LibreELEC-RPi4.arm-9.2.8.img? or did you insert first inserted the microSD with 9.2.8 in the R4pi and then after getting the "Start.elf: is not compatible" error, you replace the files?

I just got a Raspberry Pi 4 Model B - 2GB as well, and I need it exclusively to play dvd rips in .ISO with Kodi, so I need 480i output thru HDMI (and from there to an HDMI>Component converter of course). It seems that the LE10 changed the way you modify the HDMI output (10.0 requires setting the output in cmdline.txt and not config.txt, but there seems to be a bug making it fail even if you do so: 480i on LibreELEC 10)

Edited once, last by bahsura (August 15, 2022 at 2:10 AM).

• Hi @all,

I am also interested in getting my Rasp Pi4 installed with LE 9.2.8.

So far I have copied the entire files from the boot directory from the LE 10 or LE 11 and replaced them in the boot directory of 9.2.8 on the SD card.... But it doesn't boot.

First comes a picture with the 4 colors and then comes as error:

"Error in mount_flash": mount_common: could not mount UUID_0311-1402"

I had first copied / installed LE 9.2.8 on my SD card and then replaced the boot files... but without a positive result.

Can anyone please help? Perhaps with specific names of the files that need to be exchanged?

• LE10 (stable) and LE11 (stable but still pre-beta) images can do everything that LE 9.2.8 can do. Use them; they are greatly superiour than LE 9.2.8 now. If you have an issue with those images; state the problem.

• LE10 (stable) and LE11 (stable but still pre-beta) images can do everything that LE 9.2.8 can do.

Perhaps not an important feature for most users but the screenshot command still does not work in LE 10/11 (it does not save the screenshot picture like in release 9.x but only the active GUI screen).

• Hey Chewitt,

I bought a Rasp Pi4 (4GB) instead of the previous Rasp Pi3 B+, because with the LE10 unfortunately every 20sec. Mini-jerks could be seen. Both with the Rasp Pi 3B+ and with the Rasp Pi4. With LE 9.2.8 there were no stutters in my MKV files.

My MKV files are stored on a NAS / Synology (DS712plus) with LAN cable from there to a switch (Netgear GS 108Ev3 / GB switch) and from there directly via LAN cable to Rasp.

I just want the films to run smoothly and not see any stutters. This is the reason for switching to LE 9.2.8....the OS ran better than LE 10 in my case. If I should also show the debug log here, that's no problem for me. Please tell me what to do.

• Perhaps not an important feature for most users but the screenshot command still does not work in LE 10/11 (it does not save the screenshot picture like in release 9.x but only the active GUI screen).

Assuming this is an occasional requirement, if you disable DRM Prime in video acceleration settings first, I believe screenshot will work.

• Thanks a lot for info, you are right. But now (with DRM Prime disabled) I am experiencing a temporary screen flickering after the switching live TV channel to another. But screenshot works fine now.

• LE10 (stable) and LE11 (stable but still pre-beta) images can do everything that LE 9.2.8 can do.

Respectfully, that's false.

Use them; they are greatly superior than LE 9.2.8 now.

Developers require such deep technical knowledge, and work so very hard to produce newer builds, that it's so easy to become embedded in the mentality that the sole value of software is determined by version numbers, API support, bit depth, codecs and all sorts of technicalities.

Software only exists as part of an ecosystem combined with hardware, usability and support. Crucially, software is irrelevant if not experienced by humans.

As much as I absolutely and completely appreciate the massive, dedicated efforts of the Kodi, LibreELEC developers, the use case I have is not some high-tech scenario wherein everyone's got all the consoles; can afford an nVidia Shield; doesn't mind that Kodi can't be booted directly on Android (without arsing about); only needs one telly, not two so MicroHDMI is just another $30 cost; uses a 10 years old 1080p display with whatever colour depth was available 10 years ago; doesn't care about surround sound so boosting the vocal channel to make 5.1 watchable would ideally be default (though I understand why it is not); can't afford / doesn't want to play the streaming services lottery just to access the odd murder mystery in SD or HD because storing larger files - even 1080p - takes up more and more space ... etc.

So I'll be the judge of what is "superior" and that will be what provides the basics of user needs. Thus far in the decade+ 'journey' (cough, splutter, spit) of porting the 'smart' phone platform to an SBC, ultra simplistic realities like the need for reliable power supply / storage that doesn't fry itself with the occasional surge or brownout; a power button to empower ordinary users to hard shutdown an invariably-freezing-at-some-stage system ("Have you tried turning it off and on again?" has not been simplistically practical with the RPi ecosystem); basic cooling of the hardware ... have been largely ignored or sometimes dubiously supported. Yes, they are finally there in basic form with the RPi 5, but it's been forever, and a lot of wasted money and frustrating, stressful effort trying often poxy or just unsupported HATs and so forth. Nobody wants to come out and say so because the innernets is a honeypot for trolls so it's not acceptable to be reasonably critical lest readers feel it's another troll post. Also because it's an ecosystem wherein everyone's putting in so much effort for free.

Working around these limitations has been a continual requirement, amongst attempting 'up' grades because everyone in the tech industry gravitates towards that all-about-the-software in isolation, rather than the full user experience, headspace and thus writes the likes of what you have done above. Which is tantamount to "I am sick and tired of legacy users, FFS, just 'up' grade". As somewhat forceful, rude as that could be interpreted, I can actually fully understand it. But I don't agree with it. I'm looking to reduce my ballache and if that means stopping at a version that supports everything I need, as a whole, so be it. AN 80 Km round trip to rescue yet another fried SD card set up is not practical, especially with rising fuel costs.

I don't intend to complain continually in this forum or elsewhere after hopefully, finally, settling with what works if that choice creates difficulties I know the LE developers and others cannot do anything about. So I hope I'm not going to, deliberately at least, cause any additional burden that you are seemingly frustrated by and concerned about in the future. No sir. Not me :)

If you have an issue with those images; state the problem.

Raspberry Pi VNC addon is incompatible with LE11.

Vaguely, it used `dispmanx IIRC, whereas I'm guessing the video driver changes to Kodi, and / or the change to requiring Python 3 for Add Ons, broke this addon and made fixing it impossible unless there is another VNC solution for the Raspberry Pi that can be ported to LibreELEC.

Please do not get me wrong. It is fantastic that the Raspberry Pi Fo went down the direction of supporting open source video driver development, Vulkan support, OpenGL, merging into the official Linux kernel and all that other stuff that Phoronix reports on, but I can only glance through and try to ingest. I recall the very early days of that situation (though the project name slips my mind) before Igalia and Mesa and all these other steps have come along.

However, I've found VNC highly important for remote support of my septogenerian Mum's LE set up. AFAIK some things in Kodi you still can't do via any other means than GUI. Like setting the content type of Library sources. But it's also very logical to have GUI access to aid remote troubleshooting.

Edited 4 times, last by inspector71: Added a lot of context, hopefully. (December 4, 2023 at 4:15 AM).