Posts by bahsura

Thank you for your answers. Unfortunately I could not make it work with the R4Pi. I got a R3Pi 3B+ to see if I can pull it out with it. But after reading that Kodi may be deinterlacing 480i to 480p and then reinterlacing to 480i for output, I am not so sure.

If you configure Kodi on any platform for 480i output, and play 480i source files, chances are you'll be deinterlacing 480i to 480p and then reinterlacing to 480i for output - rather than preserving 480i. This may be fine for your use case - but a 480i 'straight through' workflow is not straightforward.

I appreciate your help.

Hi there!

I have a ton of DVDs that never came out in HD that I want to watch on my CRT. I ripped them all to ISO and I have been looking for a media player capable of playing ISOs (not .mp4 files only) in their native 480i resolution thru component outputs. Of course, all the options for media players that achieve this (WDTV+, etc.) are very old, so I got a RPi4 and it has been very complicated to getting right.

I got a RPi4 with 2 GB of RAM and an HDMI to Component converter by Portta. I tried installing LibreElec on it to use Kodi (which plays DVD’s .ISO fine) but it seems that there are several issues with it:

LibreElec 10.0 is the one that works for R4pi, BUT it seems that the command to force HDMI to output 480i does not work. Before you just had to add these lines to the confing.txt, but with LibreElec 10.0 now you have to use cmdline.txt but it seems that the 480i output is not being detected anyway. So you have to use the older 9.2 for the RPi4 to correctly boot in 480i.

millysoose
    April 26, 2022 at 4:46 AM

But... I can’t install an older LibreElec 9.2 (that is able to use the config.txt full code) cause it seems that revision 1.4 of the RPi4 2GB does not allow it. I tried doing a cheat to install 9.2 by copying and replacing the following files (bcm2711-rpi-4-b.dtb, start.elf and fixup.dat from the 10.0 release to the 9.2 boot partition) but it did not also work. The RPi4 displays a black screen.

Matmi
    April 5, 2022 at 11:26 AM

9.2.6 won't boot on Pi 4 (fresh install, frozen on black screen with white _ symbol)>em class="_7s4syPYtk5hfUIjySXcRE">

Has anyone managed to get Kodi (and videos, not just the GUI or menu) running at 480i on a Raspberry Pi 4 rev. 1.4 with LibreElec 10.0 or 9.2?

Thank you for your time.

I think this may be a firmware issue. https://github.com/raspberrypi/firmware/issues/1626

That bug report relates to the fkms driver (which I understand is like the default kms driver but with support for hdmi= settings in config.txt). I can't seem to get either kms using the new syntax in cmdline.txt or fkms using the old syntax in config.txt

The report mentions an older version of the firmware before the bug was introduced. I'm going to see if I can get that installed and try again with the fkms driver.

Hi there! Did you manage to find a way around this? Thanks!

I got it working...

I copied the following from the LE11 nightly build boot partition (im sure it would work from LE10 but didnt test this exact combo of files):

bcm2711-rpi-4-b.dtb

start.elf

fixup.dat

I was relieved to see that I am not the only one with this issue.

Question:

Did you copy and replace those files after flashing LibreELEC-RPi4.arm-9.2.8.img? or did you insert first inserted the microSD with 9.2.8 in the R4pi and then after getting the "Start.elf: is not compatible" error, you replace the files?

I just got a Raspberry Pi 4 Model B - 2GB as well, and I need it exclusively to play dvd rips in .ISO with Kodi, so I need 480i output thru HDMI (and from there to an HDMI>Component converter of course). It seems that the LE10 changed the way you modify the HDMI output (10.0 requires setting the output in cmdline.txt and not config.txt, but there seems to be a bug making it fail even if you do so: 480i on LibreELEC 10)