Question: Current status/capability of Cubox-i4pro?

• Long time lurker/user and first time poster. I am looking to get a clear idea of what the status is of Cubox-i4pro (iMX.6) support and development. I have been following some threads involving chewitt but am not quite clear on what the nightly builds for this device are capable of.

My understanding is that the hardware is capable of H.264 video decoding, but this cannot be implemented properly due to dependencies on upstream software. However I have not found anything definitive on this. I do not believe the hardware is capable of supporting H.265 however.

Does anybody have any more information on this or a clear explanation? It would be great to have this so I can make a decision on what to do with these great devices, and maybe repurpose them if they aren't capable of driving modern video codecs via hardware decoding any more.

I will also add that there has always been an issue where the cubox-i4pro has never been able to stream over the network with the ethernet interface at 1000baseT/Full, requiring a manual setting to 100baseT/Full for playback to work. This was originally posted at the link below for the now defunct openelec.tv web site:

http://openelec.tv/forum/125-soli…buffering-issue

Thanks!

Edited once, last by eraser215: Added more useful detail (March 21, 2022 at 7:13 AM).

• It's a while since I tested one but Cubox-i devices were booting and could handle H264 decoding last time I looked. The SoC has no support for HEVC so will need to software decode that format .. I doubt with good results. I have no time for testing anything right now but you can boot from an SD card and have a look at current test images and report back.

The OE forum link is dead for me .. I wasn't able to reacht the forum there for over a year now.

• eraser215 i recently tested master on my cubox-i4pro - works

Do you mean the master branch? Can you please send a link to the image you used?

It's a while since I tested one but Cubox-i devices were booting and could handle H264 decoding last time I looked. The SoC has no support for HEVC so will need to software decode that format .. I doubt with good results. I have no time for testing anything right now but you can boot from an SD card and have a look at current test images and report back.

The OE forum link is dead for me .. I wasn't able to reacht the forum there for over a year now.

Thank you for replying. I played a 1080p H.264 50FPS video and it wasn't quite keeping up, in that the video was not perfectly smooth and lagged behind the audio. I ran a back to back between the cubox and a RPi 4 and the difference was night and day, unsurprisingly. I will keep trying out different versions.

Edited once, last by eraser215: Merged a post created by eraser215 into this post. (March 22, 2022 at 12:20 AM).

• It’s close to nightly ( but with glibc 2.34 )