Bug - Matrix: frozen video on pause / resume, lost sync after playing for 10 minutes

• Thanks for updating to Matrix. Much appreciated.

I've done a clean install on my current setup: Pi 4 with fast USB drive on USB3 port. The installation is straight onto the USB stick, no SD card.

There are two items that I hope to resolve, but could not on my own:

1 - When I pause a video and there is a delay (around 10 minutes or more) before I resume watching, the video is frozen, but the audio resumes. Rewinding a few seconds resumes normal viewing.

2 - With normal playback, after about 10 minutes or so, the video and audio loses sync and there is "stuttering / jerky" playback. Only stopping the playback, and playing the video again from scratch works.

It looks as if the buffer is loading as it should. Enough in buffer to play (but playing off the local fast USB anyway...).

This same hardware setup worked fine before upgrading to Matrix, so I'm obviously suspecting software / setup, not HW.

Kind regards and thanks in advance

Logs http://ix.io/3Skg

• I can confirm I am also experiencing this problem, as is a friend of mine. Both on the matrix build and both having the same issues as the OP.

When a video is paused for several minutes, especially if it’s a large 4K video, resume results in audio playback with static video, if the video does play it is out of sync.

Restarting playback from the menu works.

Here is a full debug log. Paused and resumed between 30/3/22 18:10-18:20.

http://ix.io/3TRA

I am running a Pi4 8Gb, booting from MicroSD. Media is on a locally attached USB HDD. 18TB Ironwolf Pro. LibreElec 10.0.2.

Thanks

Edited 3 times, last by tomstephens89 (March 30, 2022 at 6:26 PM).

• UPDATE:

I connected my 18TB Ironwolf Pro to my laptop and used the Seagate Seachest tools to disable the EPC idle_a, idle_b, idle_c and standby_z timers.

This has had no effect but I believe this issue is related to drive sleep state.

EDIT:

I have also completely disabled the EPC feature set on the drive but this doesn't appear to have an effect. Infact the drive still spins down.

Whats happening here? HDD power management broken?

Playing a video from the SD card pauses and resumes fine.

Dumping my Seagate EPC settings here:

Edited 4 times, last by tomstephens89: Merged a post created by tomstephens89 into this post. (March 31, 2022 at 10:47 PM).

• UPDATE:

On further investigation I have determined that my 18TB Ironwolf Pro is not obeying its configured power/spin down settings when connected to either the Pi4 OR my Laptop using the uGreen USB caddy I have it installed in.

This one here:

UGREEN 3.5" Hard Drive Enclosure, USB 3.0 External SATA HDD Caddy for 2.5 3.5 HDD/SSD up to 16TB with 12V 2A Power Adapter, Support UASP and Trim for Windows Linux MacOS, PS4, Xbox, TV, Laptop
    UGREEN 3.5" Hard Drive Enclosure, USB 3.0 External SATA HDD Caddy for 2.5 3.5 HDD/SSD up to 16TB with 12V 2A Power Adapter, Support UASP and Trim for Windows…
    www.amazon.co.uk

Even when EPC has been completely disabled, or idle_2 and standby_z set for 30 mins, the drive will completely standby within 2 mins when connected to my laptop as well as the Pi. Laptop is running Windows 10 Pro, Pi4 running LibreElec.

To further this, I have removed the drive from the uGreen USB caddy and installed it in a USB desktop HDD dock. When connected via this different USB>SATA interface, the power settings are working as configured. Head parking and Spin Down occur as specified via the EPC options.

Conclusion: It seems that certain USB>SATA caddy's/interfaces are interfering with the disk power states and that this is not a LibreElec/KODI issue at all.