[UNOFFICIAL][RK3228/RK3229][box]Libreelec builds

• My new log, build 2023/11/19

Code
    [   15.710420] brcmfmac: brcmf_fw_alloc_request: using brcm/brcmfmac43342-sdio for chip BCM43342/1
    [   15.710896] brcmfmac mmc2:0001:1: Direct firmware load for brcm/brcmfmac43342-sdio.rockchip,rk322x-box.bin failed with error -2
    [   15.711133] brcmfmac mmc2:0001:1: Direct firmware load for brcm/brcmfmac43342-sdio.bin failed with error -2

missing firmware, in the next build your wifi should work :)

Can you please tell me if, also checking with Android, your board also has Bluetooth? What is the name of your box (not board)? Do the LEDs work well? Do you try to see by switching to other device trees if your box already has a good configuration?

I want to make a specific device tree, but I need this information.

Hi, attached remote config for greenet.txt

Thank you so much.

And it would be nice if you add wifi driver for SV6256P on your next build, too?

No working driver for now. I'll suggest to use ethernet, or external usb wifi dongle.

• Code
    [   15.710420] brcmfmac: brcmf_fw_alloc_request: using brcm/brcmfmac43342-sdio for chip BCM43342/1
    [   15.710896] brcmfmac mmc2:0001:1: Direct firmware load for brcm/brcmfmac43342-sdio.rockchip,rk322x-box.bin failed with error -2
    [   15.711133] brcmfmac mmc2:0001:1: Direct firmware load for brcm/brcmfmac43342-sdio.bin failed with error -2

missing firmware, in the next build your wifi should work :)

Can you please tell me if, also checking with Android, your board also has Bluetooth? What is the name of your box (not board)? Do the LEDs work well? Do you try to see by switching to other device trees if your box already has a good configuration?

I want to make a specific device tree, but I need this information.

Thank you so much.

No working driver for now. I'll suggest to use ethernet, or external usb wifi dongle.

In my board, we also have Bluetooth, indeed.
    The LEDs show red when off and orange when on. There's also a blue LED, but it doesn't work on Libreelec (however, it doesn't cause any issues for me either).
    Overall, everything is working fine.

• Hi ilmich, i tried your latest build (nightly-20231119-505ae7b) on my OneTV Lite. I use Simple IPTV client, and when i watch a channel and open the channel info menu, the video starts chopping randomly a bit. I dont remember seeing this in last versions.

Another thing that happens on my box is random reboot while watching iptv. This i noticed in prior versions too. I can't say what causes it because this time for example it rebooted after about 10 minutes of watching and after reboot it worked for an hour without problems. I touched the box and it doesn't seem to get too hot, so i don't suspect it being from overheating.

• Hi usr4864,

it's a reboot of the box? or Kodi? which device tree do you use? Is the generic one or the one for your box?

I'll ask you if you can send me a log because maybe I can get the wifi/Bluetooth working too

The Libreelec 11 version works very well either with direct files and WiFi. Additionally, the Star+ plugin runs smoothly for me. However, I have an issue with the Netflix plugin. When I activate VP9, the videos appear slow and the quality doesn't seem to be 720p. The CPU usage goes up to 220%. It seems smoother if I choose H264; however, the range is between 18 to 28 fps and sometimes it plays slowly. The CPU goes up to 350%, it appears smoother, but the image looks washed out and doesn't seem like 720p.

tv box V88 4k

• However, I have an issue with the Netflix plugin. When I activate VP9, the videos appear slow and the quality doesn't seem to be 720p. The CPU usage goes up to 220%. It seems smoother if I choose H264; however, the range is between 18 to 28 fps and sometimes it plays slowly. The CPU goes up to 350%, it appears smoother, but the image looks washed out and doesn't seem like 720p.

Hi markosc, it's a known issue, unfortunately. There are some addons, such as Disney+, which for some reason (maybe widevine license) use hardware acceleration for decoding. The Netflix addon does not, so the decoding is via software and with a single thread. For the moment I recommend lowering the playback quality. In libreelec 10 the clocks (cpu/gpu) were higher, but I realized that unfortunately due to the heat, the throttling caused artefacts. I'm trying to find a solution.

• Hi all, and thanks to ilmich for his great job.
    I'm trying to run librelec on a Hongtop H20 TV box (RK3229). I've tried both v10 and v11 but both of them stops in the early stage of boot, before starting u-boot.

I connected the serial adapter to the board and the output for V10 is:

for v11 is almost identical (just three numbers different):

while the output for official android firmware is:

Can you suggest me how to proceed?

And would you be so kind to also suggest me some links to learn more technical details about the boot process of these SoC? (I would like to become more knowledgeable in this field...)

Thanks a lot

• hi markosc try the attached dtb

The attached file flows really well, whether it's VP9 and/or H264 when I use the Netflix plugin at 720p. I'd say it's at a 98% satisfaction level. Also, when I play TVheadend channels, it's improved and not as slow as in version 10. In this version 11, it seems a bit unstable. Another detail I noticed is that in Netflix, if I want to resume a video that I previously switched from VP9 to H264, the TV box restarts. However, sticking to H264, I find it much smoother than before. Thanks.

• Hi digicroxx

the problem, which also emerged in the armbian forum, is that apparently this board only works with the 1.0.1 trust (libreelec mounts 1.1.0). I'm trying to figure out what I can do. Can you please share a link with a downloadable firmware of your box?

And would you be so kind to also suggest me some links to learn more technical details about the boot process of these SoC? (I would like to become more knowledgeable in this field...)

Boot option - Rockchip open source Document

markosc

I recently made the famous discovery of hot water :). In practice, if the RAM runs slowly, the CPU has more difficulty managing the system. So while I previously thought that the CPU was too old to decode a 720 video via software, I realized that in reality by increasing the DDR3 frequency it does it just fine.

So in the dtb I passed to you, I raised the frequency of the ddr3 clock. I don't think this affects DVB decoding (I tried local video without any problems). I'll try to take a look at it because I also have the same problem as you, but I'm thinking more of an update to the addon than anything else. You can try either with older versions of tvheadend/pvr.hts or using iptvsimple client (tvheadend also exposes m3u8 lists)

Another detail I noticed is that in Netflix, if I want to resume a video that I previously switched from VP9 to H264, the TV box restarts. However, sticking to H264, I find it much smoother than before. Thanks.

I think is an addon issue.

cheers
    Michele

• If it can be useful, later tonight I can upload the flash backup I made from my box with mulitool; let me know if it's useful.

thanks but it's not necessary, the firmware is fine. Anyway, as soon as I can I'll try to prepare a version for you to try.

• hi markosc,

regarding the problem with tvheadend, which dvb device do you use? After many attempts, I changed the device (xbox decoder --> hauppage) and I had no problem. I suspect that the box doesn't provide enough power for that device, or is ruined, or there is a bug somewhere that has nothing to do with libreelec or the optimizations I'm carrying out.

• Hi usr4864,

it's a reboot of the box? or Kodi? which device tree do you use? Is the generic one or the one for your box?

I'll ask you if you can send me a log because maybe I can get the wifi/Bluetooth working too

Hi ilmich ,

the box reboots, i always use the device tree for my box. After posting i noticed that the box was running default at 4K display resolution (i always forget to change config after flashing a new release of yours) and i changed it now to 720p. The choppy video issue when opening channel info is now a lot better, almost gone. So it might just be a performance issue. Haven't had enough time to test more after my last post. I might change resolution to 1080p and test again someday. Also maybe the reboot issue was because of this, i don't think this box is able to really handle 4K output.

Attached are the logs i found. the latest one is a clean boot and shutdown. Would be great if you get wifi to work!

• Hi all,

in the meanwhile, i'm trying to compile the image form source, to be able to play around by myself...

At step 251 out of 278, i get issue with libinput (incorrect checksum or file not found):

Checking the last link, I've noticed that gitlab.freedesktop.org requires an account to allow downloads, maybe this is the (or one of the) issue.

Has anyone already encountered the same problem?

Thanks a lot

• the box reboots, i always use the device tree for my box.

it overheated, I reviewed the photos you sent and the box is nice aesthetically, but it will definitely have poor ventilation (like my t95d). I'll try to send you a dtb with a lower CPU frequency.

Also maybe the reboot issue was because of this, i don't think this box is able to really handle 4K output.

Maybe I can get it going. I don't have a 4K TV so I don't do much testing, but with the changes I'm making the 4K HW decoding goes smoothly.

Has anyone already encountered the same problem?

If you are using my repo, I don't update it often. I did this a little while ago, pull and try again. In any case, in your case, the trust os must be changed. I have to try to see if it also works with other boxes to make the switch, otherwise, I'll have to invent something

• WARNING Incorrect checksum calculated on downloaded file: got e3b0c44298fc1c149afbf4c8996fb92427ae41e4649b934ca495991b7852b855 wanted e13f6f118cfbbdc0b6e0edd5e3504abd96a8d0e33dc67cba31c6942c449f77a

^ The SHA256 checksum for the package has changed on the server end (it happens sometimes) so you need to edit the package.mk file and either correct the PKG_SHA256 value or null it by setting PKG_SHA256="" and then validation will be skipped.

• ^ The SHA256 checksum for the package has changed on the server end (it happens sometimes) so you need to edit the package.mk file and either correct the PKG_SHA256 value or null it by setting PKG_SHA256="" and then validation will be skipped.

Thanks. I noticed several failed checksums during the download-tool process. I will fix them and retry.