No sound on TV through HDMI

• Hi,

Just installed LibreELEC 10.0.1 Generic.x86_64 on an SSD in a newly built HTPC. Videos play fine, and I can get sound using the headphone jack on my mobo with an external speaker but I want to get sound through the TV.

Display: Grundig GU22WDVD01

Motherboard: ASUS H81I-PLUS

CPU: Intel Core i5-4590 @ 3.30ghz

In the audio options menu I can select from the following, but none of these work, even though the LCD_TV setting seems like the correct option:

I've also fiddled with various settings but can't seem to get sound. Any tips please? Thanks

• 1. Sorry, but I could not find any Information about a "Grundig GU22WDVD01" TV on the Internet.

Did you try another HDMI-Port on the TV or did you use always the same ?

2. You're using the HDMI-Out of your Motherboard ?

If so, did you enable the "HDMI Audio Output" in the BIOS of your Motherboard ?

It must be in the BIOS under "Onboard Device Configuration"

I've got an English Manual of this Board, (Download from here

https://www.asus.com/de/SupportOnly…elpDesk_Manual/ - "H81I-PLUS User's Manual (English)")

Look at Page 2-24 (Picture of the BIOS-Mainpage) and Page 2-31(right on the Top the Setting is described)

3. Look at

System -> System -> Audio (where you can select the Audio Output Device)

Did you set

"Number of Channels" to: 2

and

"Allow Passthrough" to : Off

4. Also it makes me wonder why "ALSA: HDA Intel HDMI" is shown 4 Times.

You only had 1 HDMI-Output on your Motherboard.

Maybe you should "Reset above settings to default"

in System -> System -> Audio (it's down on the Bottom)

then turn off your PC and TV.

Than first turn on your TV and than your PC and look what Kind of Audio Output Devices are now available

Question to the MODS:

This is my 26 Post on this Board, why must it still be checked by a Moderator ?

I thought after 10 Posts this is not necessary anymore ?

Or did I get this wrong and it's 25 or more Post now ?

Edited 2 times, last by Niceguy (January 13, 2022 at 11:06 AM).

• Display: Grundig GU22WDVD01

Didn't find a "Grundig GU22WDVD01" but after a lot of searching on the Internet a "Grundig GU22WDVD10"

22 INCH GRUNDIG LCD TV HD READY FREEVIEW DVD COMBO MODEL GU22WDVD10 [u'SANDWELL'], Dudley

It's some strange combination between a TV and a DVD player like the "DVD" part in the Modelnumber shows.

It seems that this TV is not widespread (the Information above is the only one I could find) and that it is only HD-Ready and has only 1 HDMI-Port.

So again it makes me wonder why "ALSA: HDA Intel HDMI" is shown 4 Times.

You only have 1 HDMI-Output on your Motherboard and 1 HDMI-Input on your TV.

I've checked my own combination of an Asus Motherboard, LibreElec 9.2.8 and a Samsung TV.

The PC is connected with a HDMI-Cable to the TV and LibreElec only shows 1 HDMI Auido-Output.

And another question to Omina:

If you own this "Grundig GU22WDVD10", do you set the the "Resolution" in Settings -> System -> Display to 1920x1080 or to 1280x720 (which would be betterbecause the TV is only HD-ready) ?

Edited 3 times, last by Niceguy (January 13, 2022 at 4:42 PM).

• Just realised my Grundig TV is actually a rebranded Toshiba, lol

So this is a bit weird - I went into my BIOS and changed the Front Panel Type setting from AC 97 to HD, and the HDMI Audio Output was already enabled. When I save and exit the BIOS, Kodi boots as expected and I get sound through the TV, but then when I go to change my display resolution (from whatever the default is to my TV's native resolution) then I don't get sound anymore, and then it stays that way until I go into the BIOS again, save and exit, then it reverts back to the default res with audio.

When I navigate to the Display options, my TV goes black and displays OUT OF RANGE for a few seconds, then Kodi asks me if I want to keep the settings. If I pick Yes I get no audio, but if No then I still have audio.

Not sure if there's a way to override the default video resolution?

• So now we got Picture and Sound until you change the Video-Resolution in LibreElec ? ?(

What Resolution(s) is your TV capable of ?

I think it's 1366x786 because the TV is "HD-Ready" only

Don't change it to a higher Resolution like 1920x1080 because the TV can't show it, and maybe for this reason you got an "Out of Range" message.

What Resoulution did LibreElec show to you ?

If it is 1280x720 it should be OK, and you won't get any problems, because this is a regular TV Resolution.

So if everything is alright I wouldn't change the Resolution.

But for example if some Parts of the Picture are missing or the Picture is stretched we must search for another solution.

If you want you can try this

In Settings -> System -> Display

1. Set "Resolution" to ether "Automatic" your native TV Resolution or 1280x720

This will only affect resolution of the User Interface and has no effect on playback.

If it is available I would set it to "Automatic"

2. Set "Use Fullscreen Window" to "ON" (I think this is done already)

3. Make a "Whitelist" and set it to 1280x720 60.00Hz and 1280x720 50.00Hz only

The LiberElec (Kodi) Videosettings are described here:

Settings/System/Display - Official Kodi Wiki

At last simple a Explanation (I hope I did get it right):

If some AV-Components are connect with a HDMI-Cable and are switch on, at first they "communicate" with each other "telling" the other side what they are capable.

Among other things the TV tells the other Side (for example a Blu-ray Player or even an PC) which Resolution he can show.

It's called "HDMI-Handshake", if you want more Information about it, you can Google it. :)

So if you turn your TV on first and then the PC, the TV will "tell" the PC of which Resolution he is capable and wich sort of Sound he can handle.

• Think I've figured it out - it will play sound when I select interlaced resolutions (1920x1080i, 480i etc) but not when I use standard progressive scan ones (1920x1080p).

I was going to get a better TV anyway but thanks for all your help

• Think I've figured it out - it will play sound when I select interlaced resolutions (1920x1080i, 480i etc) but not when I use standard progressive scan ones (1920x1080p).

You've been reduced HDMI data rate by doing so. Chances are your HDMI cable can't handle higher data rates, so it drops the sound. Get an HDMI 2.0 or 2.1 cable before getting a new TV.

One last Question to Mr. Da Flex:

How can you chose a resolution of 1920x1080 (it doesn't matter if "i" or "p") on a Screen that is only "HD-Ready" and has a native resolution of 1366x786 ?

I though there is this "EDID-File"

Extended Display Identification Data - Wikipedia

for Display Devices which describes their capabilities to a video source and was "transferred" during the "HDMI-Handshake".

So if the TV send this EDID-File to the PC, in LibreElec only a max. Resolution of 1366x786 would be possible.

Or did I get something wrong here ?

Is there a Difference between a TV and a Laptopdisplay `?

Like you know, I tried to install LibreElec 10.0.1 on my Asus Eee-PC and I couldn't get a Resolution of 1280x720 or even 1920x1080 out of it because the Display only has a native max. Resolution of 1024x600.

• How can you chose a resolution of 1920x1080 (it doesn't matter if "i" or "p") on a Screen that is only "HD-Ready" and has a native resolution of 1366x786 ?

If it's really just an HD-Ready TV, then it's probably no cable issue. I think HDMI negotiation goes wrong here, and I suggest to create a custom EDID with supported resolutions.

• If it's really just an HD-Ready TV, then it's probably no cable issue. I think HDMI negotiation goes wrong here, and I suggest to create a custom EDID with supported resolutions.

Before that, why not set the Resolution of the User Interface to 1280x720, make a "Whitelist" with only the 1280x720 60.00Hz and 1280x720 50.00Hz Settings and set Adjust display refresh rate (System -> Player -> Videos -> Playback) to "On start/stop" ?

I think Kodi is desinged for working best with standard TV Resolutions like NTSC (720x480), PAL (720x576) or HD 1280x720, 1920x1080 and maybe 4096x2160 (because most, when not all Videos now are in one of this resolutions) and not some "strange" Resotutions (for example 800x600, 1024x768 or 1366x768) a HD-Ready TV or a PC Graphic Card has to offer.

I think for that reason too the Subtitles didn't show on my Asus Eee-PC which had an Resolution of 1024x600.